Bruce Curry vs Monroe Brooks Another forgotten Closet Classic

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by PhillyPhan69, Oct 28, 2019.

1. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Does anyone remember this fight or have any stories about it? Seems like 2 former friends had some bad blood between them.

unfortunately the sound and video are off by about 5 seconds but oh well!

This content is protected

2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Bump for viewing

Seems like a very good fight, will watch later

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  3. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Curry was better when he beat Brooks than when he eventually won the WBC title. Clever management got him a title.

scartissue and Titan1 like this.
  4. Chuck1052

Chuck1052 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 22, 2013
    The nationally televised bout between Bruce Curry and Monroe Brooks WAS a truly great one. While not a great or skillful fighter, Curry was a good, very game one with a thrilling fighting style. While having a tremendous fighting heard and a fanatical dedication when it came to training, Curry had some very serious mental health issues which had a huge impact on his life and career.

I disagree that he was managed well. At the time, his young manager, Jesse Reid, often was putting his two very capable fighters, Curry and a light-heavyweight named Jessie Burnett, in tough bouts under some very adverse conditions, sometimes on very short notice. Curry, a 140-lber, fought the great Thomas Hearns, an extremely tall welterweight and a tremendous puncher, with predictable results. While Curry did quite well in his two bouts with Wilfredo Benitez, one of the bouts took place under very adverse conditions for Curry.

Burnett was a substitute for John Conteh on very short notice in a vacant WBC world light-heavyweight title bout with Miguel Angel Cuello. Keep in mind that Burnett was living in the Los Angeles area and had to fly to Europe for the bout. Under normal circumstances, the bout would have been postponed in order to give Burnett time to get over the jet lag after a such long flight. But the bout was scheduled to being shown on a national network (CBS, ABC or NBC), which made it very lucrative for the promotion. Burnett got off to a terrific start in the bout with Cuello and even floored him, but Burnett eventually collapsed due to fatigue.

That collapse in the bout with Cuello may have had an adverse effect on Burnett during the rest of his career. Burnett seemed to be unsure of his stamina in a number of bouts.

In fairness to Reid, Burnett had trouble getting bouts because he had a very deliberate fighting style and wasn't much of a drawing card. During his boxing career, Burnett worked as fulltime as a gardener to make ends meet. As a result, a relatively lucrative title bout with Cuello, not that good of a fighter to begin with, seemed to be too good to pass up.

- Chuck Johnston

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  5. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I remember the build up for their fight in LA, at the Olympic I believe. They really played up the bad blood between them and promised a war; I was 13 or 14, hadn't really heard of either guy, but I was anxious for the fight. Couldn't wait to hear the result on the news that night. Funny thing, to this day I don't think I have seen the whole fight.
    Just recently I met a guy that sparred with Monroe Brooks as amateurs. He said that when Brooks hit him on the nose with a jab, it felt like getting punched on the inside of the back of his head.

Chuck1052 and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  6. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    The funny thing about Brooks was that he fell in love with that power. But early in his career I saw that he really could box well and then mix up his punches with some nice power shots. He really could have been such a complete fighter, but he ended up loading up on his shots to take the opponent's head off. Another case in point was his bout with Adolpho Viruet, which was televised. Viruet really stifled Brooks' power, but in the middle rounds Brooks reverted to pure boxing and he took 3 consecutive rounds on the trot. But lo and behold he goes back to trying to take Viruet's head off while Viruet counters everything in return and walks away with the decision. I sat there shaking my head. He never should have lost that fight.

Chuck1052 and greynotsoold like this.
  7. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    He wasn't managed well?

Not for his whole career, no.

I clearly stated in my post that I was referring to how he got a title while past it.

He was way past it but Billy Baxter got him a title eliminator with Ronnie Shields which he just squeeked by which got him a shot at the very mediocre and highly beatable Leroy Haley.

8. Chuck1052

Chuck1052 Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 22, 2013
    I agree that Monroe Brooks tried to slug it out or was much too aggressive instead of using his fine boxing skills in some bouts, including the one with Bruce Curry. That played right into Curry's hands. It made for a truly great fight, but Brooks got stopped.

- Chuck Johnston

scartissue likes this.
  9. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Curry and Cervantes late 70's makes an interesting fight.

10. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    This content is protected

George Crowcroft and Jel like this.
  11. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    One of my favorite fights of the 1970s.

It seemed like Bruce was always kind of nuts and got even worse later. This is an article from 1985 after he tried to shoot Jesse Reid:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1985-01-18-sp-8846-story.html

Saad54 likes this.
  12. Thread Stealer

Jun 30, 2005

Saad54 likes this.
  13. Thread Stealer

Jun 30, 2005

Saad54 likes this.
  14. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
  15. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    I remember watching this fight and the post-fight interview had me laughing at the time. I just checked and this particular clip isn't on the vid. Anyways, what happened was Gil Clancy was interviewing Curry when they pulled Brooks into the interview as well. Brooks, who was still obviously buzzed, says to Clancy, "I know there was some bad s**t between us..." and this was on network TV. Oh, man, you should have seen Gil Clancy's expression turn to horror. You could practically hear his sphincter seize up. Nothing like live TV.