Bruno vs. Tyson documentary

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by iamthegreatest, Mar 1, 2021.

1. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    On a side note.. this fight was a huge event, a massive fight here in the U.K.

I don't know if they have it on YouTube but Harry Carpenter and Des Lynam did a pre fight build up show for Tyson Vs Bruno 1.

I had it on video, I'm sure I've still got it somewhere in a box in the attic, I still have lots of videos that needs converting on to disc... anyway, if my memory serves, that was really good.

For me It was the first sort of pre fight show of its kind, it was a great little watch and if I ever watched that first fight, I always watched the pre fight show first.

Might take a search but I'll see if I can find it.. one bit that sticks in my mind was Robert Palmer - Simply Irresistible being played over a montage of Tyson running, with Robin Givens.

2. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Well it didn't take a lot of finding but it's on DailyMotion. Can't find it on YouTube though

Worth a watch to see how it was really viewed at the time from the British side of things, it was more a hope of Bruno winning than really believing it, but FFS it was an undefeated, savage, brutal Mike Tyson, I didn't give anybody a chance with Tyson at the time.

Anyway, On DailyMotion It's called..

Pt1 Bruno v Tyson World Heavyweight Championship 1989 Intro Pt1

3. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    That bit when Tyson was receiving his overseas personality of the year trophy and Lynam introduces Bruno to Tyson with "who you dealt with back in February". Bruno looked visibly p****d off.

alfonso, kojak and tee_birch like this.
  4. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    I thought that myself. It did tickle me when he said it though but was probably a bit harsh on Bruno

kojak and Twentyman like this.
  5. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    Ha, it was a bit of an Adam Smith moment definitely.

6. DON1

DON1 ICEMAN Full Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Brilliant watch.

iamthegreatest and Noel857 like this.
  7. iamthegreatest

iamthegreatest Well-Known Member banned Full Member

May 4, 2020
    Hopefully Sky do a few more of these documentaries! Was a very fun watch.

8. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    The first Bruno/Tyson fight was shown live on Sky and delayed coverage on the BBC- it was a massive event for the pubs at the time and drove subs to Sky.

LoadedGlove likes this.
  9. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Just watched the documentary, really enjoyed it. Seen on twitter Bruno mentioning that there are hours of footage of him talking to Mike but it was only a short amount shown in the doc. It was interesting, good to see Bruno now at peace with his career. Bruno tried hard to win the title and he was fortunate the way things fell with McCall but it was well deserved in the end. His gas tank would be a problem in any era but boy he could wack!

Lennox Lewis and the era of boxers that followed Bruno have a lot to thank him for in terms of igniting the public interest in boxing at that time, much like the current crop have a lot to thank AJ for in terms of stadium fights etc.

Twentyman likes this.
  10. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    I'd love to see that whole interaction between them. It seemed to be a huge thing for Bruno, as if up until that interaction Tyson had been living in his head rent free all these years.

It was also fascinating the whole race identity thing. He seemed to feel like he'd sold out his heritage if that's the right word. Obviously Lewis played on that in their press conference. I take being white for granted, I don't even think of it like most others...but a black fighter seems to have to juggle the expectations of his community without losing his mainstream appeal. I guess Joshua also feels that pressure to appeal to the masses without betraying his heritage so to speak...he seems to have struck a decent balance but Bruno clearly struggled with that within himself.

iamthegreatest and Glenn McKrory like this.
  11. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    I agree, it wasn’t a massive thing for Mike Tyson you could tell (certainly him reuniting with Holyfield got a bigger reaction than this), but Bruno was nervous and really ready to meet him. You have to think that twice when Bruno was flying high it was Tyson that knocked him off his perch, though if we’re honest it was simply that top top level of boxer that would always find a way to beat Bruno.

Definitely, that’s a million dollar idea mate - a documentary on race in boxing. It’s always been a thing - Ali / Frazier it was a central thing in their rivalry with Ali refusing the draft and then calling Frazier an Uncle Tom. Clearly the Bruno issue in the documentary is the same, and these days you see AJ towing the line - his BLM comments last year certainly rankled a few people.

Glenn McKrory and Twentyman like this.
  12. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Big Frank the eternal people's champion - met him a few years ago and a great guy.

Heisenberg, Glenn McKrory and Noel857 like this.
  13. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    It did not do much for pubs in 89. It was on at five in morning, as I can testify; trying to stay awake, to watch it. Not many pubs would pay for the technology, or would get permission to open.

I think you might be thinking of the rematch, which was SKY's first big PPV, and 24 hour drinking, made it easier for pubs to show it.

14. Noel857

Noel857 I Am Duran Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    I think you will find loads of pubs had lock-ins and charged £5 to watch it.This was certainly true where i live remember having a great time with my mates.Well and truly p.....d by the time the fight came on.Great memories

15. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    I think you are mixing up the rematch with the first fight. Not many pubs were paying the money needed to set up SKY. I am sure there were a few (like you suggest), but it was not until SKY got the Football and then the 24 hour drinking law change, that it became viable.