Bruno vs. Tyson documentary

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by iamthegreatest, Mar 1, 2021.

1. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    I was a student so was, obviously, at a party. We had it on the radio and the whole house listened. I was not a Bruno believer but listening to that first round, even I was going bananas.
    Some of the girls were in tears at the end. Bruno was that big a figure with the public back then and this was that big an event.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  2. macfrome

macfrome Member Full Member

May 18, 2009
    My dad ran a nightclub in the 80s and 90s and wanted to show the first fight after closing. Licensing laws meant he couldn't stay open until 5/6am unless it was some sort of private event / prize...so he ran a raffle for people in the club with the winner having the chance to stay on and watch it.

By chance, everyone that entered won...had a few hundred people in there watching it in the end!

3. Noel857

Noel857 I Am Duran Full Member

Mar 24, 2019
    No it was the first fight 1989 our local locked its doors at 11pm but the regulars never left till all hours in the morning

4. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    OK, nice you managed to do it.

Noel857 likes this.
  5. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Why was the attendance only 23,000? Was the capacity capped for the event?

6. Likethembigroundchunky

Likethembigroundchunky Member Full Member

Nov 2, 2019
    Tyson Bruno 1 was my earliest boxing memory. I remember all the patriotism in the papers here in the UK. Bruno looked like an adonis. I remember I went to the newspaper shop Sunday morning to see who won - I couldn't believe it.

I clear as day remember thinking to myself that that Mike Tyson fella must be an animal.

pow likes this.
  7. Nick UK

Nick UK Active Member Full Member

Dec 2, 2019
    It was an enjoyable walk down Memory Lane, albeit whilst wearing rose tinted spectacles!
    I remember that first fight - believing he didnt have a hope - that Tyson was going to be a wrecking ball - which he had been upto that point - the aura around him was massive - people were genuinely fearful of him in the ring or so it seemed - and then the unthinkable - Tyson was wobbled - and for a brief moment thinking that Bruno might just win - and then..... lol
    I'd forgotten how upset Bruno had been about the Uncle Tom moniker - it clearly really affected him

Noel857 likes this.
  8. BoxingABC1

BoxingABC1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Calling it a documentary feels a bit of stretch considering how warped it was

Willis Brown likes this.