Bruno vs weaver?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Bruno vs weaver. Two big puncher s. I would actually say Bruno as the best chin but weaver probably better stamina. Let's say witherspoon fight Bruno v dokes 2 fight weaver. Is this a familiar end for Frank, leading most of the fight till getting caught or could Bruno lay out mike early?

2. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I'd lean slighty in Weaver's favour but it really could go either way.

Sangria and janitor like this.
  3. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I think I'll take Weaver. He could get into trouble early but had good stamina and walked through fire for some of his wins. I also feel he might have a slight technical edge on Bruno.

4. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    Yes could be a bomb s away fight this one. Think if Bruno was going to lose it would be a similar fashion as the smith fight, Bruno banging them in , beating weaver tu the punch and well in the lead till late rounds. Then weaver cutting through and catching Bruno

Sangria likes this.
  5. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Bruno would find a way to lose and walk into a shot late on.....

6. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    Bruno does have the tendency to do that. Starting off great then bang!! He's stiff legged and helpless

7. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I'd favor Weaver by late stoppage but say that with no real conviction. More of a pick ' em fight if truth be told.

8. heerko koois

heerko koois Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
    Bruno by ko.....90% sure of that

lloydturnip likes this.
  9. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    Even though Bruno I think had the better chin I can see weaver withstand more, if that makes sense. Weaver would probably be rocked several times but as the fight wears on Frank gasses and weaver gets him.

10. lloydturnip

lloydturnip Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    I think Brunos jab could be the difference if he can keep weaver on the end of it he can win busting up mike and stopping him in about 7 rnds in a similar manner to the tillis fight.However weaver has a good chance of landing a big shot and turning the fight .

heerko koois likes this.
  11. Vince Voltage

Vince Voltage Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Great fight. You can make a strong case either way, but I favor Bruno. Weaver was a slow starter, and I think if Frank came out fast and strong, as he usually did, his long reach could catch and finish Mike, similar to how Bonecrusher Smith did.

12. blackhercules

blackhercules Active Member banned Full Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Bruno was only stopped by top guys and it took tons of punches. Weaver was KO'd 12 times. Various times by people who weren't very good like Billy Ryan, Howard Smith, Larry Frazier, Duane Bobick and others.

Bruno was a much bigger punch. Bruno should win by KO.

lloydturnip likes this.
  13. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I could definitely see Bruno getting Weaver out of there early ... but if he doesn't, every minute that goes by favors Weaver more and more.

In the end, I go with Weaver because I think he weathers the early barrage and he's just mentally tougher. I think Frank tended to panic when he began to run out of gas and momentum shifted the other way, whereas I believe Weaver is the type who always felt he would turn things back his way. More of an optimistic fellow.

Fergy likes this.
  14. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Frank early. 2 rounds or so.

Everybody lands their punches on Weaver early. Who had troubles landing on that defense waiting for Mike to finally warm up ? I think his tendency to do that so slow fly swatting thing trying to parry punches gets him caught by Bruno's left hook or big right hand. Jeez, he'd react and swat about a second and a half late it seemed. The opponent had thrown his shots and moved and Mike is still just reacting by swatting away the flies. Later on in the fight his reflexes got better but early on it was slow motion time. Just try putting that bad habit into other heavies and see what the results would become.
    And then once tagged or hurt, there's nowhere to escape those Bruno combos. And the ref steps in and stops it when Mike is trying to play cover up and Bruno throws a volley of 12 or 15 punches.

15. Fergy

Jan 8, 2017
    It's all a matter of Bruno s condition as the fight wears on as well. If he can get weaver out of the way fast he's ok, but if he s still there in the later rounds that's when Bruno as a tendency to gas. Weaver will be dangerous then. If he catches frank when he's starting to tire it'll be witherspoon all over again.

Big Ukrainian likes this.