Bruno vs weaver?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Feb 15, 2017.

1. GALVATRON

GALVATRON Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Bruno by mid round K.o. Weaver was looked at as a high herclean figure...Bruno would make him the smaller guy and over power him. weaver was basic good boxer but not on Brunos level.

lloydturnip likes this.
  2. Big Ukrainian

Big Ukrainian Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Not on Bruno level? You must be kidding. They are basically on the same level.

And don't bring their fights vs young Lennox.

Weaver in the Lewis fight was shot 40+ y.o. fighter with 20 year-long career behind him.

Either man can win here, both had more than enough power to KO each other

mcvey likes this.
  3. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Weaver was stopped by journey man and fringe contenders but also ko world hw champions
    Tate and Coetzee . MW was like Ken Norton in that he was built like hercules and could
    beat boxers but struggled at times with heavy punchers. The only time i saw MW come out
    fast was the rematch in the Dokes fight after there first fight debacle.
    If it was the MK around 1980 then i expect MW to survive Bruno onslaught and stop Bruno
    late as he gasses. However it would be no surprise if Bruno catches a cold Weaver early
    and Frank obliterates Weaver within 2 rounds.

4. GALVATRON

Oct 30, 2016
    Lennox at ANY point is better than Weaver was. Its not about Lewis though we CAN look at the Bruno vs Lewis fight and assume Weaver cant do much to Bruno on that fight as a base! Weaver was looked at as some gigantic muscle guy....in reality he was 6'1 around 200/205...you guys just like to ignore these intangibles.

5. Big Ukrainian

Jan 10, 2007
    I agree.

And Lennox is also at ANY point better than Bruno was.

GALVATRON likes this.
  6. GALVATRON

Oct 30, 2016
    Let me put this thread to rest...i trained under a fighter named Bill sharkey( RIP ) for a BRIEf period,he fought BOTh and went the full 10 with Weaver and lost by majority decision....Bruno knocked him out in one round and Bill told everyone Bruno was the toughest guy he ever had to fight. the end!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    lloydturnip and heerko koois like this.
  7. Big Ukrainian

Jan 10, 2007
    I also remember that Weaver KO'd prime Carl Williams in 2, but Bruno went 10 rounds vs drug-addicted out of shape Williams.

I can't decide who is better on the two based on their common opponents

Fergy likes this.
  8. Thread Stealer

Thread Stealer VIP Member Full Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Hercules late with a monster left hook that has Bruno out on his feet, but Bruno doesn't go down, he stays on his feet and goes to the ropes. Weaver then finishes Bruno on the ropes.

mcvey likes this.
  9. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Weaver would win this for mine. He was extremely good once he found his feet and post Tate thru to the Dokes rematch i'd take him to win. Quite a bit of what should have been his peak years were missed thru inactivity and injury.

mcvey likes this.
  10. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    JT hit the nail on the head concerning Mike's peak years. I think he would stop Frank around the 11th round.

mcvey likes this.
  11. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I pick Bruno.. He could punch and Weaver could not take a big punch.

12. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Weaver.

Even though Bruno is much bigger than Weaver, Weaver hits as hard, is a bit faster in handspeed and is more durable. Weaver by late rounds tko as Bruno gasses. Frank's chance to to catch Weaver cold, but I don't see it happening.

mcvey likes this.
  13. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Weaver would win. He was the better fighter.
    People need to realize Weaver and Bruno were exact opposites in how they were managed and brought along. Weaver started out with no backing, just another boxer looking for fights, being fed to more experienced fighters and prospects as fodder, not training full time. He came up the hard way, learned his craft in tough environment and took defeats along the way. He was just a jobbing clubfighter to begin with, an opponent, or someone to fill out an undercard.

Bruno on the other hand was signed with the most successful management and promotional team in Britain and his opponents were carefully selected as OPPONENTS. Bruno was manufactured as a star heavyweight from day one.

mcvey likes this.
  14. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Weaver took a good punch in his peak years.

mcvey likes this.
  15. Sangria

Sangria You bleed like Mylee Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Bruno early, Weaver late. Pick em fight, really.