BT - 3 Back to Back PPVs

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by moog, Aug 22, 2018.

1. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    I see Frank Warren confirmed the Warrington v Frampton fight will be PPV, alongside Canelo v GGG and Wilder v Fury. Do people think having 3 PPVs close together on BT plus the ones that are on SKY will cause 1 or more of the above mentioned fights to totally bomb at box office ?

2. uppercut_to_the_body

uppercut_to_the_body Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2017
    Those are all 100 times better and more competitive than AJ vs PEDvetkin or Bellew getting spanked by Usyk.

DON1, impacted, Fhaggis and 1 other person like this.
  3. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    With Warrington vs Frampton could make some cracking UK vs Ireland bouts.

4. Smudge_

Smudge_ Teak tough Full Member

Jan 23, 2018
    3 PPVs in consecutive weeks in September already over 3 channels. Canelo v GGG II, AJ v Povetkin and Groves vs Smith. That's a lot of money to spend to stay in and watch telly!

im sparticus and moog like this.
  5. rayrobinson

rayrobinson Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 8, 2009
    And if you don't follow the sport they can walk past you in a crowd and no one would know...

6. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Good fight but i think it will bomb at the box office. I remember when he fought on Sky, Framptons Belfast shows done the lowest numbers with tv audience figures. Him and Warrington are big in their local area but outside that have a small support. Frampton v Quigg i believe done the lowest ppv numbers in tbe Eddie Hearn Era. That was highly hyped, on a established ppv platform.

N17, Patter983 and Scissors like this.
  7. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Yes I think there's already a danger the market will be oversaturated. I've also thought that about AJ and wondered if Hearn wouldn't want to get him fighting elsewhere to tap different markets, but that Wembley revenue is doubtless difficult to pass up.

I'll probably pick and choose. Unlikely to bother with the 5am jobs. Warrington Frampton however could be a cracker.

Patter983 likes this.
  8. TBC-ASAP

TBC-ASAP Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 7, 2017
    I tend to agree, but strangely it would be the fight I am most looking forward to of the 3. Depending on work shifts I could see myself paying for all of them. The quality of the undercards would also come into it.

9. DavidJames

DavidJames Active Member Full Member

Mar 15, 2016
    It is not good news for fans -- the more picked up by CH5 etc the better

I feel Matchroom only care about the US and AJ now and Sky should go back to giving smaller promoters dates to keep regular Sky shows going

10. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Agree that it will bomb.

To draw a PPV audience at anything below Welterweight you need to be an exceptional case. Like Prince Nadeem Hamed for example. I can’t think of any others in the U.K. in recent history.

DavidJames, Patter983 and moog like this.
  11. Snowy1989

Snowy1989 Active Member Full Member

Dec 22, 2015
    AJ-Povetkin will soak up most of the casual buys.

Warrington vs frampton Could bomb badly.

Canelo vs GGG will be purchased by hardcores only

Fury vs wilder might catch the public imagination and do well if the WWE build up carries on.

Groves vs smith might do ok by itv standards

BigCal94 likes this.
  12. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    Warrington v Frampton would of carried more weight if Carl had picked up the wbo.
    There's talk of this in Dec, so that's a bit of distance from the Sept shows.
    This one is probably the best matched one as well. I'd like this one to do well as I like both fighters and would love to see them make some money.

moog likes this.
  13. dellboi94

dellboi94 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Fury vs Wilder is the only one that will sell well

moog and sjp17 like this.
  14. sjp17

sjp17 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Id probably pay for the Fury vs Wilder fight and I am tempted by GGG vs Canelo but not really fussed over the little guys unless its a stacked undercard of quality fights , id be expecting at least 6 fights then the main event if I am buying that one

15. Octolony shore

Octolony shore Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 14, 2016
    It's getting out of hand, although it's a good fight I don't think Warrington frampton should be ppv only because they aren't big names. Warren is seizing on the support they both have.

The other two are ppv fights though.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    Scissors and Patter983 like this.