Burn's life story.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Dempsey1238, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    I was watching Tommy Burn's in a interview as he commented on how he became champ by beating all the other countrys who had champions ete.
    Than he goes into his top ten list. Than he goes on and says he just complete his life story, which he was sure the readers would enjoy.
    Could this book be the face behind the fighter?? Tommy Burns ideas? Mention Jack Johnson? How did the book go?
    Any one have the book?

2. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Burns is an interesting character.

He was a racist as champion but later in life became a vocal campaigner against racism.

He invested his money well but lost it in the depresion crash and ended up an ordained minister.

He is the only world champion ever to become a campaigner for the abolition of boxing.

3. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    knew he became a minister in later life, and said had he know now than he knew than, he never become a champ. Wonder why Burns went against boxing, it brought him fame and money.

4. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Burns went against a lot of things.

He hated himself for his racism during his boxing career and insisted that Jack Johnson beat the hate out of him.

He became oposed to boxing as many who have seen it first hand do. It is not what I would want for my son personaly.

Burns was fundamentaly a good man.