Buster Douglas vs Michael Spinks

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Jay1990, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Jay1990

Jay1990 Active Member Full Member

Sep 12, 2015
  2. GOAT Primo Carnera

GOAT Primo Carnera Member of the PC Fan Club Full Member

Jan 28, 2018
    Douglas is underrated in therms of power. Watch the first round of the Ferguson fight. He did very good fighting agressive vs. Tucker too.
    Sooner or later he will get to Spinks jaw.

3. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    A good version of Douglas would be far too much for Spinks imo.

Spinks durability at heavyweight is very dubious for mine. Very.

4. Contro

Contro Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Look at the way douglas jabs were snapping tysons head back like a pez dispenser. He beats the **** out of Spinks if he shows up at 70% or more.
    If douglas shows up without legs or stamina then its a good fight

lloydturnip likes this.
  5. Jamal Perkins

Jamal Perkins Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 19, 2012
    Spinks on points....im in the minority for sure...but i saw enough of spinks in his 4 hw victories towards the end of his career as his injuries piled up to know he had the winning mentality to beat inconsistent 1980s guys like douglas,bruno,mcall,cooney,smith,biggs,williams..that whole b level tier....the c grade tier of ,aged bugner,bey,page,snipes ,berbick he beats too.........but the more talented upper echelons at their peak such as witherspoon,dokes,thomas,..is where he suffers most likely defeats.......the kings level of tyson,holy,big george,larry 80-83...i still think he gives holmes and holy a fight ,george knocks him out in 3 apart and obviously mike Tyson its the same result.........stylistically i can see a 1983 coetzee busting him up good and pinklon thomas too..iddly enough i see gary mason a very doughty hard hitting consistent fella being a nightmare for him....otherwise my conclusion is spinks was a underrated and good hw and if he had won the wba belt in say 1981 or 1983 especially i could see him reigning for 2-3 solid years..or being a two time alphabet champ....

6. Big Ukrainian

Big Ukrainian Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Oh yes, Ferguson got lucky that it has happened at the very end of round 1, he was so badly hurt. Didn't Douglas knock down Mike Williams twice with a jab?

GOAT Primo Carnera likes this.
  7. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Even throwing the Tyson fight aside Douglas is one of the more talented heavyweights i have ever seen. If he had the drive of a Larry Holmes he could have been really something imo.

What didn't he have beside drive? A potentially ATG jab, underrated handspeed, excellent power and superb technique.

More balls, heart and dedication absolutely would have seen him past TNT Tucker.

Jamal Perkins, JC40 and lloydturnip like this.
  8. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Douglas would win .He'd be in command for much of the fight .He stops a hurt and dazed spinks against the ropes in the tenth .

9. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Did you know that Douglas fought to a draw with Taangstad? This Taangstad
    This content is protected

Jamal Perkins likes this.
  10. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Yeah....I think Spinks could outpoint him, but Douglas might stop him on the right night.

11. jont

jont Active Member Full Member

Sep 27, 2004
    I'm not sold on Spinks as a heavyweight at all... I think the faster guys such as Truth, Tubbs, Tucker,Thomas and Douglas beat him

12. Muhammed_Ali_Durmaz

Muhammed_Ali_Durmaz Devon 2 banned Full Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Lazy Douglas spinks wins late stoppage or decision, Tokyo Douglas, who knows?

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  13. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I go with Spinks. I think he would struggle early but land some right hands and take the spirit out of Douglas and stop him in about 5 or 6 rounds.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  14. Dance84

Dance84 Unicorn and seastar land Full Member

Oct 11, 2017
  15. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Tokyo Douglas enters the arena wearing a red satin Karate Gi and a bandana to the tune of Kung Fu fighting blaring throughout the stadium.. the fans both local and far are driven wild and begin to dance and sing along.. not long after Spinks makes his entrance in his white and black striped robe. The arena is mixed with cheers and boos. During the introductions Douglas is warming up in his corner displaying some sort of martial arts form. The bell rings. Spinks being a slow starter keeps his distance and goads Douglas to chase him but surprise ! Buster doesn’t fall for it. After about 4 or 5 dull rounds and some boos from the audience Spinks finally becomes frustrated and decides to take the fight to James. He attacks with some pecking jabs and crosses. But the ever so clever and talented Buster backs to the ropes and when spinks takes the bait, Douglas shouts HADOUKIN !! And slams a thunderous right uppercut into the jinks’ jaw sending him crashing to the canvas for a 10 count !!