Bye, Felicia: Retrospective Glance @ "Pretty Boy" Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Sep 13, 2015.

1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Let's dissect his professional career in tripartite and rate him in key areas during each period.

1. Up-and-coming, youthful, 1990's super featherweight Mayweather (peak reflexes and speed, more aggressive than he would be in later years: 27-0 with twenty stoppages)
    2. Middle-career, prime, aughts lightweight & welterweight Mayweather (more seasoned, taking on bigger men, developing into a primarily defensive boxer: 12-0 with five stoppages)
    3. Latter-day, intermittently appearing, post-retirement Mayweather of the last half-decade: 10-0 with just one stoppage)

Rate each version of PBF in the proscribed six categories of general characteristics, and the four basic types of punch - all on a 1-10 scale. (half-integers permissible)

Mayweather I

Power 8.5/10

Hand Speed
    9/10

Movement 7.5/10

Aggressiveness 8/10

Ring IQ 7/10

Work-rate 7.5/10

Jab 8/10

Hook 6.5/10 (used to slap with it, through Corrales)

Right cross/lead 9/10

Uppercut 7/10

Mayweather II

Power 7/10

Hand Speed 8.5/10

Movement 9/10

Aggressiveness 6.5/10

Ring IQ 8.5/10

Work-rate 7/10

Jab 9/10

Hook 7.5/10

Right cross/lead 9/10

Uppercut 7.5/10

Mayweather III

Power 5.5/10

Hand Speed 8/10

Movement 9/10

Aggressiveness 5/10

Ring IQ 9.5/10

Work-rate 5.5/10

Jab 9/10

Hook 8/10

Right cross/lead 9/10

Uppercut 8/10

Some values trended up, some down, and some had little fluctuation over his nineteen years earning a living in the ring. Each version had different strengths and weaknesses even though his core style remained largely unchanged from 1996 until 2015, with just minor tweaks made to compensate for both increasingly stiffer competition (and being more routinely undersized) and diminishing returns on his exemplary gym-rat status as certain of his natural abilities began to gradually wane.

Mayweather I, by far, had the fan-friendliest style and was perhaps the most athletic, explosive, and prone to fire in combination, and was at his body's most comfortable, natural weight - but only fought serious opponents from Pep on, with about half a dozen elites faced.

Mayweather II broke out to become a PPV star and established a very strong resume, although his in-ring style became more risk-averse while the manufactured persona he used to help become that PPV star began turning some fans off, the confluence of these facts making him someone people tuned into with the hopes of seeing him defeated and humbled.

Mayweather III picked up the baton from his prior self and stretched elements of him out to nearly-caricature proportions, with the "flashy and flamboyant" heel bombast marked by the switch in moniker from "Pretty Boy" to "Money", and the part-timer status, and the growing perception of cherry-picking and deck-stacking making him perhaps the sport's most hated top pound for pound fighter since Jack Johnson.

Now the nineteen-year era is over, and we are very doubtful to see a Mayweather IV. At best, maybe a one-off appearance in 2016 if the Khan vs. Pacquiao fight comes to fruition and yields a clear victor in extremely dominant fashion one way or the other.

He departs with a dash more humility than what his personal brand has made infamous, even distancing himself in his allegedly final post-fight interview from his "TBE" comments of the last few years. Now his legacy is the stuff of the "Classic Boxing" domain, for nerds of pugilism to analyze in perpetuity. This is a relief both to proponents of Mayweather (of whom many feel that current biases and the prevalence of "haters" muddy the waters in terms of appropriately rating his place in history, feeling the passage of time will be kinder to him as subsequent generations of boxing historians treat him more fairly) and to all of those bemoaning his "cancerous" influence on the sport and eager to close the book on an era marked by "should haves" with a steep gulf between high expectations placed on a longtime p4p #1 and the bitter disappointments of reality falling short of those expectations.

Once his 48th professional opponent follows suit and retires himself, we as boxing fans can truly begin a new chapter without a bottleneck of speculation, criticism and pedantry of two men choking the life from discussion of the game at the exclusion of its several thousand other active practitioners. :good In the meantime, let's begin to place the one that actually has tendered official resignation in historical context and, now that it has ended, break up and deconstruct his campaign into separately digestible parts to be compared and contrasted with each other as is often done with past greats... and do so with fair & objective minds no longer polluted by emotions - or expectations & standards - running high. (Khan fanatics, you're exempt, nobody expects you to be reasonable)

2. schooling

schooling Guest

Great fighter who had a great career but he never fought the best fighters available at the time he needed to fight them he also has not got a win over a prime atg.

3. mr. piff

mr. piff The Ring General Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Excellent thread, and I agree with your assessment
    👍

4. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Wow, never heard that before!

I can tell by this fresh and insightful reply that you are clearly "over it", no longer beset with negative emotions bubbling to fore whenever the man's name is mentioned. :yep

So, that being the case, would you kindly :readthre: and compare the nascent, secondary and tertiary versions of the man and rate his relative abilities in each period? :D

5. schooling

schooling Guest

I disagree with you Mayweather power was never more then 6 out of 10

Mayweather has no punching power

6. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 13, 2012
    It makes me laugh that people think the best will fight the best when Floyd is gone.

My goodness, boxing fans are naive.

7. chacal

chacal F*** the new normal Full Member

Jun 21, 2015
    This is what he is for me. The highest ring IQ i've ever seen in my life. He took the ring IQ to the next level, something not seen before. My humble opinion.

8. StillWill

StillWill Dr. Eisenfaust Full Member

Jul 12, 2010
    If Floyd has a 9.5 Ring IQ then who has a 10? Lol

9. chacal

Jun 21, 2015
    I guess the next genius that will come after him in the next years. You cannot give a ten, what would you give to the one that will improve what floyd did ring iq-wise(there will always be someone)?

10. Cafe

Cafe Sitzpinkler Full Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Excellent thread IB, yeah, there are three Mayweathers really, I kinda of disagree that he was at his peak in the "1st" stage, in my opinion, he was at his best during the late 2nd and early 3rd stages, he slightly declined in his athleticism but he more than compensated for it with superb ring IQ gained through years of experience.

PS. Not disagree with you specifically on his peak just with people generally.

11. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 13, 2012
    I just read a comment on a boxing site that Floyd only had 2 weapons, his shoulder roll and his check hook.

12. StillWill

StillWill Dr. Eisenfaust Full Member

Jul 12, 2010
    [yt]4m2YT-PIkEc[/yt]

13. The Akbar One

The Akbar One Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I disagree with that generalization. I don't have a problem with his resume at 130, and 135. I do agree with that statement after he moved up to welterweight. There was too much cherry picking, picking and choosing the easiest route etc, and there were names there, where if Floyd had of fought and beaten some of them, people would be able to take his TBE claims more seriously. At the lighter weights, he fought a whose who of top level guys. He fought the best version of Jose Luis Castillo twice, to erase any doubts from the first fight. He destroyed big power punching contenders like Corrales, and N'dou with no problem. He whooped multiple Mexican contenders and titlists. He handled good contenders like Manfredy, and Augustus, I don't have an issue with his resume at 130 and 135. He fought enough of what was around, to acknowledge that no fighter fights everybody. Sure I would have liked to see Casamayor, and Freitas move up and fight him, but Floyd likely outboxes Casamayor, and beats the **** out of Freitas. Sure I would have liked to see him face Johnston. But hardly anybody ever fights everyone.

At welter, I have more of an issue. He clearly cherry picked. Williams was around when Floyd was. Margarito was too. He waited until Mosely was old to fight him. He waited until Cotto was old to fight him. He moved up to 154 to fight a washed up De La Hoya, it's a money fight I don't have an issue with it. But then avoided challenges from legit threats at 154 like Forrest, and Wright. He fought Carlos Baldomir, and used the excuse it was for the title. But you can't pick and choose when a title means something. Balderthal was just a means to avoid other more challenging opponents. Floyd fought at 154 again, handling a green Canelo Alvarez with no problem. Alvarez wanted the fight, I don't have an issue with that. Floyd definitely picks and chooses opponents carefully though. He just fought Berto, when Khan, Brook, and Thurman were all more challening opponents.

Floyd at 130 and 135, one of the best ever. Floyd at 147, a cherry picker, and still one of the best ever, but that one punch at a time style, would have gotten him outworked by guys like Duran, Pryor, Leonard, etc. I think somebody like Hearns would have decapitated Floyd. Too long of a jab, and right hand. The straight punch seems the only one that hits Floyd consistently. Any all timer with a good jab would give Floyd issues.

14. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    The seven-year event?

15. chacal

Jun 21, 2015
    I love nadia. One of my favourite sportmen ever (including men women, i mean). I never get tired of watching his first ten.