Byrd vs Tyson

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by escudo, Feb 4, 2016.

1. escudo

escudo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 13, 2014
    I was watching the Byrd vs Golata fight and Tyson was in the front row, it got me thinking that would be a very entertaining match for as long as it lasted. How long can Byrd's great defensive skills hold off Tyson's amazing speed and combinations. But I think Tyson gets to him after a few rounds of body shots. Tyson KO in 6.

2. foreman&dempsey

foreman&dempsey Boxing Addict banned

Dec 7, 2015
    But what versiĆ³n of tyson? Prime tyson wins. A 00s tyson loses And would look idiot

3. escudo

escudo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 13, 2014
    Say post prison Tyson of the first Holyfield fight vs The Byrd that decisioned David Tua

4. foreman&dempsey

Dec 7, 2015
    50/50

5. jont

jont Active Member Full Member

Sep 27, 2004
    how about we give both fighters the credit they deserve and match their best skills and ages against each other and I see a Tyson KO in about 4 or five rounds at the most

6. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Prime for prime Tyson would destroy him. He'd do what Ike did, but faster.

Tyson KO 2 Byrd

7. foreman&dempsey

Dec 7, 2015
    Tyson could not catch tillis and ike
    Catched byrd with a lucky crazy upper that was all. Tyson does not catch him in 2 rounds

8. zadfrak

zadfrak Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2008
    This was a bout I wanted to see instead of those set-ups they were throwing Mike in with. I wanted to see him in there with guys he would have to solve and dig deep to win. I never saw that kind of obsticle with the Mathis/Savarese/etc caliber opponents.

I wanted the Byrdman. Or guys that present problems like a Sanders. Or a McCall. Tua. Mercer. But those type matches must have been deemed to risky and look at that opponent list we got instead--Julius Francis types.

If it would have happened, I think Byrd outworks him and after about 5 rounds, mike looks foolish and falls in trying to land anything. Misses everything by a mile and it could have been another dq loss.

The Morlocks likes this.
  9. salty trunks

salty trunks Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Byrd would have been destroyed by Tyson in the late 80's.

I actually thought Byrd was a good fight for Tyson in the late 90's. He was slick but he was susceptible to guys with fast hands, and Tyson had fast hands always.

10. Azzer85

Azzer85 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Tyson upto about 1997 (bite fight), knocks prime Byrd out cold.

Please look at the Tubbs and Mathis fight to see how Tyson handles guys who stand in front of him and fight 'cute'.

11. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Be interesting for a while but it's hard to see how Byrd wins this. You didn't beat Tyson with finesse, and I don't see Byrd being big enough or physical enough to pose anything more serious than occasionally annoying Tyson.

12. N_ N___

N_ N___ Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 1, 2014
    If we're talking about Tyson from somewhere around the Botha fight, either man is live. Byrd actually had power to the body and Tyson didn't demonstrate that he could go 12 by that point, so Byrd could get a mid-late round tko or DQ if he could get through the early part of the fight intact.

13. Azzer85

Azzer85 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Byrd will very quickly find himself against the ropes, just like Spinks, Frazier etc, all the 'smaller' guys Tyson fought.

Tyson had confidence (overconfidence?) in his chin, he would have no respect for Byrds power, back him up and then pummel him.

14. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I don't think any top heavyweight he fought had respect for his power, he was a slippery customer indeed.

Tyson eventually catches up with him after being made to look ordinary, at some point he lands and its game over.

15. N_ N___

N_ N___ Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 1, 2014

He got Tua's respect with body punching. I'm sure Tua has a quote floating around the Internet giving him praise.