Calendar of Major Boxing Events for the rest of 2013

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Jul 2, 2013.

1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    For each card I am listing only the bout that either headlines or is by my reckoning the most notable/significant. (not everyone may agree, which is fine as it really is subjective...but it's my calendar so tough ****.. :D)

So in the case of stacked double/triple/quadruple-headers only the "major attraction" - IMHO - will be mentioned. It would simply take up too much space to include everything. Also, the "major attraction" may not always be synonymous with the nominal main event.

Multiple cards on the same date are separated by semicolons.

Times of day are given with bias for the east coast of the USA. Your experience may vary depending on your timezone. Afternoon here typically denotes British or mainland European venues; morning those in the Orient and the Australian continent; late night the westernmost states of the US, Mexico and Canada or South American countries hugging the Pacific.

July

• 7/5 Friday night - Eleider Alvarez vs. Allan Green
    • 7/6 Saturday morning - Daud Yordan vs. Daniel Brizuela; Saturday afternoon - Konni Konrad vs. Edison Miranda; Saturday late afternoon/evening - Tony Thompson vs. David Price II
    • 7/12 Friday night - Glen Tapia vs. Abraham Han
    • 7/13 Saturday afternoon - Denis Grachev vs. Edwin Rodriguez
    • 7/19 Friday night - Ajose Olusegun vs. Henry Lundy (replacing Mercito Gesta)
    • 7/20 Saturday afternoon - Dereck Chisora vs. Malik Scott; Saturday night - Frankie Gomez vs. DeMarcus Corley
    • 7/23 Tuesday morning - Koki Kameda vs. John Mark Apolinario
    • 7/27 Saturday morning - Juan Francisco Estrada vs. Milan Melindo; Saturday afternoon - Odlanier Solis vs. Yakup Saglam; Saturday night - Andre Berto vs. Jesus Soto Karass

Canceled July events: Ishe Smith vs. Carlos Molina, Zaurbek Baysangurov vs. Demetrius Andrade, Bernard Hopkins vs. Karo Murat

August

• 8/2 Friday night - Javier Fortuna vs. Luis Franco
    • 8/3 Saturday night - Tomasz Adamek vs. Tony Grano
    • 8/9 Friday night - Deontay Wilder vs. Sergei Liakhovich
    • 8/16 Friday night - Andrzej Fonfara vs. Gabriel Campillo
    • 8/17 Saturday afternoon - Nathan Cleverly vs. Sergey Kovalev; Saturday night - Daniel Geale vs. Darren Barker; Saturday late night - Takashi Miura vs. Sergio Thompson
    • 8/23 Friday morning - Nobuo Nashiro vs. Denkaosan Kaovichit; Friday night - Argenis Mendez vs. Arash Usmanee
    • 8/24 Saturday afternoon - Arthur Abraham vs. Willbeforce Shihepo; Saturday night - Abner Mares vs. Jhonny Gonzalez
    • 8/31 Saturday morning - David Tua vs. Alexander Ustinov

Canceled August events: Gary Buckland vs. John Simpson

September

• 9/7 Saturday afternoon - Ricky Burns vs. Raymundo Beltran
    • 9/14 Saturday afternoon - Marco Huck vs. Firat Arslan II; Saturday night - Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Saul Alvarez
    • 9/28 Saturday afternoon - Tyson Fury vs. David Haye; Saturday night - Miguel Cotto vs. Carlos Molina (replacing Cornelius Bundrage)

Canceled September events: Danny Garcia vs. Lucas Martin Matthysse

October

• 10/5 Saturday afternoon - Wladimir Klitschko vs. Alexander Povetkin
    • 10/12 Saturday night - Timothy Bradley vs. Juan Manuel Marquez

November

• 11/23 Saturday morning - Emanuel Dapidran Pacquiao vs. Brandon Rios

December

• 12/7 Saturday night - Jean Pascal vs. Lucian Bute

I will update periodically. :good

2. bazza12

bazza12 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Sweet IB.

Rodriguez Vs Grachev and Gomez Vs Corley strike me as intriguing match-ups where the house-fighter may not have everything their own way.

Looking forward to Estrada Vs Melindo purely to see Estrada again. Seriously, I added the guy on Facebook following his performance against Viloria, and I have a poor grasp of Spanish.

Not sure if Soto Karass has the chin to pressure a hitter like Berto all night long ala Guerrero. If he does, he wins.

Really looking forward to Cleverly Vs Kovalev, Pascal Vs Bute and Pacquiao Vs Rios, Huck and Arslan's rematch should be an entertaining scrap too.

Good stuff!

3. MyName

MyName Simon Adebisi Full Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Pascal-Bute is not set in stone though.

It may be pushed to january.

4. Rigonmaster

Rigonmaster Guest

Really poor year for boxing.

5. Collie

Collie Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Huh?

I think its been a good year so far with lots more to come. Mayweather - Canelo, Froch - Kessler 2, Rigo - Donaire, JMM - Bradley, Bradley - Provdnikov, Pacquaio - Rios, Mares - Ponce de Leon, Mares - Gonzalez, Cleverly - Kovalev, Alvarado - Rios 2, Garcia - Judah, further emergence of GGG and Matthysse, probably Wladamir - Povektin and Haye - Fury, Canelo - Trout..... Probably missing many more.

Thanks for the info IB, this is a very useful thread.

6. NeckBreaknAiken

NeckBreaknAiken Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2008
    IB, You might be the most important member of this site. Great work man!

7. Super Hans

Super Hans The Super One™ banned

Apr 18, 2013
    The 17 of August should be called: The Day We Established The Number 3 Fighter In The Division (or maybe something a bit more catchy)

8. Nonito Smoak

Nonito Smoak Ioka>Lomo, sorry my dudes Full Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Some big days of boxing in there...

I thought Nobuo Nashiro retired?

9. Super Hans

Super Hans The Super One™ banned

Apr 18, 2013

:conf

I thought Pongsaklek Wongjonkam did too but apparently he fought on Friday

10. Collie

Jun 16, 2012
    Just remembered, I thought Thurman was fighting this month, is that still going ahead?

11. Nonito Smoak

Sep 8, 2010
    I remember hearing Pong "unretire" before a fight a couple weeks/months ago.

Tis the way of boxing, but it seems Asian fighters stick to their word slightly more than Americans/Europeans.

12. Nonito Smoak

Sep 8, 2010
    Thurman vs. Chaves on the Berto/Karass undercard.

13. des3995

des3995 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Now get a sticky up on this beyotch please.

14. Collie

Jun 16, 2012
    Thanks for the info

15. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Yeah, I only put one 'featured' bout from each card...otherwise it would get too clunky.

Thurman vs. Chaves is nice but it doesn't outshine Berto vs. Soto Karass for me.

There are, however, definitely examples where an undercard standout merits a shout more than its bill-topper. For instance, the intriguing trans-Atlantic heavyweight clash Dereck Chisora vs. Malik Scott is a mere 10-rounder with nothing technically at stake although it could be a springboard to a big payday - and in theory it's subordinate to a trio of 12-rounders for minor WBO trinkets involving mostly just domestic British Isles talent. Another case is Arthur Abraham vs. Wilbeforce Shihepo, a no-hardware affair playing second banana to Juergen Braehmer defending his Euro title. The opponent they dug up for Braehmer is a joke (Italian light heavy champ; big fish in a little pond) while Abraham - more of a big name internationally than Braehmer to begin with - is actually in the more competitive match-up coming off his emasculating defeat by Robert Stieglitz. The unheralded Namibian may have an ugly record but he does hold the distinction of having dealt Isaac Chilemba his first - and until a few weeks ago, only - professional loss. All six of Shihepo's half dozen losses occurred in 2009 or earlier and the only stoppage was a) to world-class Stas Kashtanov and b) on cuts anyway. Needless to say, he is heading in against the physically and mentally beaten up Abraham with a much better chance than Stefano Abatangelo is against Braehmer.

Then you have tough splits, like on July 13th with the DiBella quadruple-header in Monaco. All four are roughly equal in terms of their appeal - yet ultimately I chose the conclusion of the DiBella "Super Four" 175lb tournament over the others despite it being again merely a 10-rounder while they're all 12. My justification was that Khabib Allakhverdiev has a relatively easy touch in his first defense of his WBA 140lb reign. Souleymane M'Baye is decent, but a major step down from Joan Guzman - and even from Kaizer Mabuza whom Allakhverdiev fought before upsetting Guzman. Max Bursak is also slightly mismatched against Euro MW challenger Prince Arron. Buzz-worthy Ukrainian cruiser Dmytro Kucher is taking a step up against Ilungu Makabu - but not that big. Of the four, Rodriguez vs. Grachev is the closest to 50-50 and is the nearest to being "two of the division's best"...and besides, it has the added benefit of the build-up of the Super Four despite the hype fizzling a bit in the semifinals. (marred by Rodriguez's horrible styles clash with Ezequiel Maderna and Grachev's very unpopular outpointing of Zsolt Erdei)