Callum Johnson is our most exciting fighter

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by CutThroatFade, Mar 10, 2019.

1. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    If you gave me the option of watching any of our domestic boxers in a world title fight it’s an easy choice for me - The One Callum Johnson.

An exciting fighter with knockout power and a good man on top of it. Shame he doesn’t have more fans.

2. Bensub

Bensub Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 17, 2015
    Do you think he does 12 rounds well though?? Needs a plan B.

But 100% agree good to watch.

3. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    I was going to make a thread last night but got side tracked.

I have the same concerns as Bensub above, not sure how well he will do the 12.

The things I do like though. He isn't fazed about who he fights, against Beterbiev he didn't care about about his record. If he had one chance to win that fight it was to just go for it once he knocked him down. He didn't and that was probably his shot, but to be fair Beterbiev looked to have recovered well.

Has it deterred him? No, if anything it's made him more confident that he CAN win these fights.

There's no doubt he possesses world class power; he's one of the few British fighters where he legitimately has a real punches chance even if he's unlikely to beat an opponent on points.

I think he knows in the future now if he does hurt an opponent, he's got to be like Smith and just go jump on them and finish them off there and then. He certainly has the power to do so.

Only problem for him is that he is a high risk fight imo.

Even though he's 33 he has very few miles on the clock.

We should get behind him, he's in a super tough division where all the champions are top draw. He isn't afraid to fight any of them and he has the power to hurt all of them. He might not win a world title but if he does, he will legitimately have earnt it.

moog, Robney, Suspect.chin and 6 others like this.
  4. Smudge_

Smudge_ Teak tough Full Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I like Johnson. He is exciting, he comes to win, willing to let his hands go and he hits very hard. Seems like a really decent guy too and I'd love to see him win a world title. He's exactly the type of fighter you want to get behind.

Britain's most exciting fighter? Sorry, but that accolade goes to Josh Taylor ; )

5. tdf1974

tdf1974 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 9, 2013
    He can fight thats for sure...He is in the John Ryder mould for me ,making the most of his talent and deserves to make some decent cash in decent fights

6. CutThroatFade

CutThroatFade Rangers FC Full Member

May 25, 2015
    Question mark for sure but I think the perfect opponent for him would be Kovalev, someone whose stamina is questionable.

Taylor is great as well but Johnson went toe to toe with one of the hardest punchers in boxing in Beterbiev. I just think that gives Johnson the edge in the exciting fighter stakes. You have to have that nutty crazy aspect inside of you and Johnson has that in abundance.

Smudge_ likes this.
  7. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    I'd of liked to see them chase Kovalev also, I think that's a winnable fight for Johnson, especially as Kovalev doesn't have the best chin and he's on the decline now imo. Looks like are targeting Bivol currently though.

CutThroatFade likes this.
  8. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Yeah Johnson is a good watch. I think he is the perfect fighter for Yarde to see where he really is but we will never see that fight unfortunatley.

moog, DJN16 and Scissors like this.
  9. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    He would hurt Yarde quite badly

I absolutely love him
    Great to watch and delivers knockouts
    The flipside of the sweet science

Dfaulds likes this.
  10. lefthook82

lefthook82 Boxing Addict Full Member

May 1, 2009
    Only Buglioni on his ledger. Yes he dropped Beterbiev but he got battered in the end

11. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Fantastic to watch.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  12. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    The best and most exciting UK Light Heavyweight at the moment. Really like him, and he enters my most likable Brits list.

kojak, Suspect.chin and Smudge_ like this.
  13. Dragon Punch

Dragon Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Johnson was very impressive the other night, he clearly has very heavy hands judging by the beating he put on Seanie.

I can’t see him beating Bivol, but I’m all for the fight now.

14. lepinthehood

lepinthehood When I'm drinking you leave me well alone Full Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Very food fighter. Toe and toe with beterbiev! Damn me.

Suspect.chin likes this.
  15. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Callum is a good fighter and massive puncher, but can box too. He beat Irish cruiserweight Tommy McCarthy in the Commonwealth games final in 2010, handily on points.