Callum Johnson vs Joe Smith Jn

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Twentyman, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Apparently this is in the pipeline for Johnson’s next fight. Fair play to him for not wasting any time and going for this lad. Personally, I think Smith beats him. He knows he can do the 12 rounds and he’s been in with high quality fighters such as Bivol, Fonfara, Hopkins and Barrrera. Johnson’s not been beyond 9 rounds. It’ll be fascinating though.

zulander, Suspect.chin, S.K and 4 others like this.
  2. Accurate

Accurate Jump back, wanna kiss myself! Full Member

May 3, 2018
    Fun fight, both can bang. I think Johnson has the edge in boxing ability, but Smith has more experience. Tough one to pick for me, so I won't bother lol. Someone is getting KO'd though.

Twentyman likes this.
  3. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Yes please.
    Think I lean toward Johnson in this one.

4. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    This is a fight that both guys would go all out to get the KO
    I'd love to see it
    Johnson currently one my favourite fighters on entertainment alone

Suspect.chin likes this.
  5. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Great fight, shame it will properly be on at silly o'clock in US as be a good main event on a Saturday fight night. I think Smith would likely win fight down the home straight though it's a 60/40 type fight for me.

Scissors, kojak and Twentyman like this.
  6. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Agree with Moog that this would be a great Saturday main event fight.

Its fights like this and Fowler and Fitzgerald that I really enjoy.

moog likes this.
  7. Smudge_

Smudge_ Teak tough Full Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Great fight if it happens. Would lean towards Johnson I think. Both men can whack, I think Johnson looks like he has more strings to his bow when it comes to all round boxing ability though. Smith would have the advantage of experience doing the championship rounds and he's mixed it at the top level more than Johnson. Evenly matched fight against 2 exciting fighters. This has KO written all over it, could all come down to who simply lands a bomb right on the button first.

Sounds like the fight is actually happening, so I'm looking forward to it already. I'm not the only one to say it and Johnson has quickly became one of my favourite fighters too. He comes to fight, and to get a KO, entertaining and he's also a great professional as well as being a down to earth, sound guy. Am I right in saying he's Scottish, or has Scottish roots? Another reason for me to like him.

Suspect.chin, Twentyman and moog like this.
  8. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Born and raised in England but has Scottish blood, represented Scotland at the Commonwealth Games.

Smudge_ likes this.
  9. Smudge_

Smudge_ Teak tough Full Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Ah right, cheers. I knew there was some Scottish connection. I think I did know he represented Scotland at the commonwealth games then, but had forgot. I don't really follow amateur boxing.

10. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    As exciting as he is and as much as I like him, I do feel that at 33 he has too many defensive flaws to win a world title. That high guard, limited head movement, walking down opponents style means that he takes a lot of punishment against a skilful operator. He has explosive power so he will always be in with a shout of turning a fight on its head and I really hope he does but I really can’t see it. I hate to be negative about him.

moog likes this.
  11. lewis gassed

lewis gassed The Bronze Dosser Full Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Damn what a fight! Absolutely lights out, don't see it going past 5th.

50-50 for me

12. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    That's a very standard Gallagher style though, so it isn't massively surprising. Liam Smith fights nearly the exact same way and I know you rate him, he is another who just doesn't have the power though. Johnson is really the Gallagher fighter who does.

Could you imagine for example a LHW of Crolla (who I like btw) doing any better against Beterbiev for example, when he isn't a puncher.

At least Johnson has the power to change a fight and potentially win a strap because of that. I honestly think in the future if he hurts an opponent as in knocks them down he will just go for it, **** or bust basically.

He may not win a world title, but he is one of the few UK fighters who legitimately has a chance to beat top world class champions, because he has some good boxing ability and good power. Let's not forget all of the LHW champions are really top draw, a rare thing to say when we have 4 world titles in a division.

13. Kennedy

Kennedy Member Full Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Calum Smith?

14. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    I have a fondness for Liam Smith bud. You’re right, he does have a very similar defensive style and is open to punishment from the jab and body shots when he pressures an opponent. He loves a fight...even when he’s getting his backside handed to him he smiles through gritted teeth, I proper enjoy that attitude.

I really hope Callum Johnson can do well, I genuinely like him. I just think he’s defensively easy pickings for the likes of Bivol, Browne, Gvozdyk, Beterbiev (has proven) etc. It’s a shame he’s not ranked with the WBO because I think he could have serious chance against Kovalev at this stage.

Scissors likes this.
  15. Journey Man

Journey Man Journeyman always. Full Member

Aug 22, 2009
    I like Smith Jr, that said, he is vastly overrated. He has very limited boxing skill and is just a crude puncher. He was getting beaten up by Fonfara and through a hail mary shot when he had been shook back to the ropes - it landed and he swarmed him. BHOP had finally bitten off more than he could chew and Smith was non-stop coming forward - even though BHOP was still winning some rounds.

Bivol and Barrera beat him well (bar Barrera's little scare.)

He's a perfect next fight for Johnson - the bookies will make it close (maybe even Smith a slight favourite) but if he sticks to boxing, Johnson is a level above and will look superb ready for another title shot.

Still, good fight and I will tune in as they both have very fan friendly styles.