Callum Smith the unified Super middleweight champ in 2017?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by jmashyaka, Jan 12, 2017.

1. jmashyaka

jmashyaka Boxing Addict Full Member

May 7, 2016
    Seeing as he gets the winner of Jack/Badou, can you see him beating the victor. I expect Chunky to beat Jack on points and if a Chunky vs Smith fight happens I think Sky sports are gunna regret giving Callum this title shot without having beaten anyone near world level.

If badou wins Callum has a better chance but with that being said if Jack beats Degale he is argubably p4p as his recent string of wins are amazing.

Can you see Smith beating Jack or Degale? Is he just another Joe Gallagher hype job who will fail soon as they hit world level?

2. yesihavearm2

yesihavearm2 ESB Chinchecker Full Member

May 30, 2008
    I like Callum as a fighter but I think he's just short of that quality of being world class, and would be competitive but ultimately lose to DeGale/Jack/Groves.

I think he would have a good chance at beating Eubank and BJS.

Odins beard likes this.
  3. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    He's a Smith AND trained by Joe Gallagher. Combined that makes him nigh on certain to fail at world level. Don't worry though he's guaranteed at least another couple of shots at a world belt if he loses.

Odins beard likes this.
  4. delboy82

delboy82 Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 18, 2014
    Na I think callum beats both groves and Jack, DeGales style I think is all wrong for Smith tho

5. Grooveongreg

Grooveongreg Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Degale beats Smith . He's too fluid and elusive. Smiths European style has nothing for someone like Degale. Degale also seems to be tough and have a good chin. Can't see how Smith would beat him?

DON1 likes this.
  6. jmashyaka

May 7, 2016
    Callum's style is actually the style Degale struggles with but I don't think he's had the experience to pull it off. To beat Degale you have to make him work for every minute of the round, walk him down and he starts to run. Porky did it to great effect, although I don't think Degale trained hard enough for the fight.

7. Bensub

Bensub Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 17, 2015
    I see smith at LHW very soon. Smith v cleverly would be good.

Twentyman likes this.
  8. jmashyaka

May 7, 2016
    He would smoke cleverly, cleverly was very lucky Braehmer got injured.

9. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Callum Smith will dominate the division in the next year or two.
    I rate him that highly.

6"3, long reach, very powerful, he cuts people in half with them body shots, they're ferocious.

10. jmashyaka

May 7, 2016
    So you think he will beat Degale if he beats Jack?

11. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    I know it's not a popular opinion on here mate, but yes. I really rate DeGale and hope he wins this weekend, but I think Callum Smith would stop him.

12. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    I think he's overated personally. No doubt he's a good, but he doesn't seem the most slickest for someone who people think will dominate. At times he's looked like he's ran out of ideas recently even though he's gotten the job done.

The biggest factor for me is he's hardly been hit due to level of his opponents. Like most of Gallaghers fighters, he's going from fighting well picked fighters straight into the deep end, his progression of late has been poor opponent wise.

The one thing he does have in his favour is that power in his body shots.

I always go with skill over power, which is why I never go overboard when I see fighters like him knocking other fighters out, KO % often changes drastically at high world level.

13. Twentyman

Apr 20, 2016
    I respect what you're saying and in time you might be proven right and I might have got him all wrong.

He has to make that big step up now to fight the very best.

He can only fight what's been put in front of him so far but he's been very brutal in the way he's finished his opponents.

He's got a bit to learn yet & I'm not saying he'd have full control of the fight with DeGale or Jack, but at some point, he'd chop them down.

14. jmashyaka

May 7, 2016
    Fair enough mate, whilst I don't agree maybe you just find him very impressive. You will eat your words when gets schooled by Chunky haha

Twentyman likes this.
  15. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Smith has just stagnated and hasnt progressed for a while now. There is a wealth of fringe level opponents at SMW but he doesnt fight them.

Jack v Degale could end up a rematch or they might fancy taking on another unifictaion, then what? Smith is going to carry on facing C level fighters using the same tactics and not progressing.