Callum Smith to light-heavyweight?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Hoddsey, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Hoddsey

Hoddsey New Member Full Member

Dec 31, 2020
    Callum briefly mentioned the prospect of moving to 175lbs in an interview last week - do we think this would be a more beneficial move for him than to stay at 168lbs and what do we think he could accomplish at the new weight?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  2. Little brian

Little brian Active Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Of course it would. Pointless him staying at 168. He cant keep making that weight.

Holler likes this.
  3. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    I think he will retire. Might be wrong though, hope he continues. Paul and Liam Skith both said after fight, they know Callum has mentioned weight but that's no excuse as he has honestly never struggled making weight.

tdf1974, N17, Little brian and 2 others like this.
  4. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013

I agree, I think he retires but I wouldn't be surprised if restrictions are lifted some time this year and crowds can come back then he has a little Anthony Crolla farewell type fight in Liverpool.

5. Trafford

Trafford Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Not a chance. He’s already said he didn’t want want to go out like that and has ambition to go out on too as a two weight word champion.

i think if Kovalev wins in Feb you will see him vs Smith. The other obvious fight is smith vs Bivol

N17, Hoddsey, Scissors and 1 other person like this.
  6. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    He's only 30 lost to beat in world. He will be back at light heavy... Not sure how far he will go.

Hoddsey likes this.
  7. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    he gets smashed in up there

8. ashishwarrior

Apr 19, 2010
    Callum Johnson beats smith

Jolly Roger, CST80 and velagod like this.
  9. destruction

destruction Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 26, 2009
    It has been obvious for the past 4 fights he has been completely DEAD at 168lbs. When you look at his physique you can see how unhealthy it is for him to be that weight. He looks like someone who has escaped a concentration camp.

It showed in the ring against Ryder in a fight he lost in a 116-112 decision, and Canelo nearly won a shut out decision over him.

It is no good having a massive reach advantage if you are too tired and weak to be able to take advantage of it in the ring for 12 rounds. Just because you can make a weight doesnt mean you should.

LoadedGlove and Hoddsey like this.
  10. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    I think he’s likely to go to light heavyweight. There’s winnable fights up there for big money, there’s also very dangerous fights for little money! But I think he can be navigated properly. Kovalev at his age and stage of his career could be the perfect combination of right opponent at the right time for the the right money.

LoadedGlove and Hoddsey like this.
  11. Donald Donaldson

Donald Donaldson Member Full Member

Oct 1, 2020
    He will (and should) move up and have at least a couple of fights at LHW, I don't think he will retire on that loss to Canelo. Although I do agree he has not got long in the sport, nothing to do with his age more to do with his mindset.

I don't see him troubling any of the top fighters at 175, but given the right fight, at the right time he could do something at the weight.

If he was to fight and beat a shot to bits Kovalev for any sort of title, he would then I believe 100% retire. I don't think he will fight on much past 2021.

He was always a over rated fighter, who relied far too much on his size, will be interesting to see what he's like at 175.

Hoddsey likes this.
  12. ashishwarrior

Apr 19, 2010
    shabberansky beats him bad
    so does sullivan

13. moog

Mar 12, 2012
    Dont think that's in his character. He thought he was the best and will only continue imo if he thinks he has a decent chance of ending up top dog at 175ib. For Crolla it was a nice final payday, Smith doesnt need that. Loam Smith said the morning after the Canelo fight Callum was in his hotel room crying his eyes out, devastated because he lost, and realising he wasnt top dog anymore in the division.

N17 and Hoddsey like this.
  14. moog

Mar 12, 2012
    If Callum continues I cannot see him fighting till late summer time as he suffered a serious injury. If he does he should go in against a Capellero or a Sullivan Barrera type. He would know after such fights if he had it to compete up a level against the best in division.

Hoddsey likes this.
  15. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013

Hmmm good points, maybe he won't then :lol: