Callum Smith too good to have possible mega-money Canelo shock among British boxing’s biggest upsets

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Nov 22, 2020.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Chisora used his size to bully Usyk quite well that`s not Smith`s style, he mainly throws jabs and adds a right hand, Canelo will simply block those shots, Smith struggled in his last fight.

2. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Smith's task would be a tall enough order even if he had a full camp to prepare for the fight. Yes he might have been in the gym training and keeping himself in decent shape but there's a world of difference between training for a fight when you know you're going to be facing an elite opponent on a certain date and training when you don't know who or even if you're going to be fighting at all even if you think there's a chance you might be. He only found out he had the fight about an hour/an hour and a half before it was announced and you can bet your bottom dollar that sneaky deck-stacking ginger necromancer knew about it weeks in advance of that because giving his opponents short camps and weakening them with rehydration clauses is how he rolls.

The late notice hardly gave Smith anytime to rope in sparring partners, especially quality ones who have a similar style to Clenelo or can mimic his style and even more so during these difficult pandemic times we live in. For instance, one of Joyce's sparring partner has also been sparring his opponent Dubois in preparation for their fight on Saturday. Trust me, I been involved in the boxing game for most of my life and I've never heard of that happening before.

And obviously it's not like Smith is going to be able to secure the win unless he sparks Clen out cold or dominates every round so thoroughly Clen's judges cannot get away with taking it out of his hands.

My main man Joe Gallagher said he wants a British ref or at least a British judge for the fight but I told him on the blower the other day that he'd better forget about a British ref because that ain't happening in a million years and he wants a British judge he's going to have to push like crazy for that and maybe even threaten to pull Smith out of the fight if they won't concede to that.

Oddone, DynamicMoves and ShovelHook like this.
  3. ShovelHook

ShovelHook Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    When aren't you making **** up to moan about you miserable knob?

4. chatty

chatty Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 18, 2009
    The odds for Honeyghan were over the top tbf, he had an identical record and KO ratio as Curry at the time but because he was fighting in the UK hos competion wasnt as good nor did he get the same hype.

Curry was way overhypedz he had a good record and was a solid fighter but he had struggled and possibly lost to Starling at least once.

Honeyghan was just unknown to most at the time and was underestimated. He had beaten good fighters well in Rosi, Mittee, Stafford etc but people had Curry as P4P no1 without ever really proving it.

It was a good upset but I dont think this would be any different, Smith did lose his last fight afterall.

5. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    What did I make up? Canelo is moving up to fight the top guy at a new division and it's being called a cherry pick while Usyk took on an old journeyman and is being given credit for a very unremarkable performance. Im pointing out a clear double standard. If you disagree make your argument

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  6. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Fair points there.

7. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    Canelo has already stopped a 168 fighter and a 175 fighter the jump from cruiser to heavyweight is much bigger.

8. The Real Lance

The Real Lance Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Who's calling it a cherry pick drama queen?