Calum smith isn't world class

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by lencoreastside, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    He’s also been ducked and dodged multiple times holding his career up.

moog and Twentyman like this.
  2. Twentyman

Twentyman You dog nonce! banned Full Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Yeah i’m not helping myself here mate haha.

I’ll try to clarify what I mean...Groves and Degale in terms of CV are pretty decent. Groves appears to have more mileage in the tank whereas Degale’s shoulder (judging on his last 2 fights) looks to have packed in on him. I hope i’m wrong but he looks finished. Ramirez has beaten 2-3 decent opponents. Then, there looks to be a huge drop off in CV quality. Benavidez’s hasn’t got an eye catching name on his CV. Same with Zeuge, Hart, Eubank...i’m not convinced with Dirrell. Callum Smith like the above doesn’t have a world level name either. It’s subjective and just an opinion but i just feel that with his size and his jab, he has the beating of those above. He has power, and he does show flashes of quality & shot selection.

I do accept that I could be completely wrong about him, we’ll find out in the next couple of years.

3. Sephiroth Rising 7

Sephiroth Rising 7 'No tears please!' banned Full Member

Sep 27, 2016
    I'm sorry but Skoglund who??

I don't think you realise how easy it is for fighters in this day and age to pad up their record against bums and quickly climb the rankings. Yarde is now ranked 14th in the LHW division, after running through street beggars and thieves. When David Haye returned from his retirement and fought De mori, and that other joke opponent, he climbed up to within the top 10 of the heavyweight division.

My point is , a fighter's ranking has no correlation to their ability in the ring.

I checked out Skoglund's record and there isn't a name there that I recognize. Maybe you can point to me some impressive performances or formidable opponents he's defeated, in your vain efforts to justify Callum's resume.

Fhaggis likes this.
  4. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Smith struggles from the same issues I saw a few fights ago. He just doesn't have enough variety in my opinion, he does what he does well but then it's like he just runs out of ideas, so he ends up doing the same thing and can't seem to switch it up.

I think he needs to get a new coach personally, like most JG fighters his lack of head movement is going to cost him at the top level.

No hating on JG either, I think he gets the most out of lesser level fighters, but with fighters like Callum I think they get held back, ends up stiffling there natural ability. It's not a coincidence that most of his fighters fight a similar way with the same flaws.

5. Sephiroth Rising 7

Sephiroth Rising 7 'No tears please!' banned Full Member

Sep 27, 2016
    Well that's all right considering that you are correct that a lot of our views are all subjective, but I believe we can be confident at least to say when a fighter is accomplished enough to be classified as world class or not. I could be wrong myself regarding Smith and he could show something I've never seen before and completely blast Groves out in the final. However from the evidence of all his previous fights,, limited arsenal, poor resume and having a poor one dimensional one trick pony trainer in his corner, I feel quite confident to say that Stiff isn't operating on world level.

As for Degale, currently, evidence points to the fact he is finished as a fighter. However if we look at his past record he has close wins over Bute, Direll, a draw with Badou and a close loss to Groves, I think we can confidently say he has competed at world level to a respectable degree enough to call him one of the top SMW's irrespective of his current situation.

If we do the same with Callum's resume, then I'm struggling to see any world class opponent he has fought. And then in the biggest fight of his career, against a bog standard opponent who has come in on short notice, he delivers a labored risk adverse performance while taking punishment in the process and allowing the opponent to believe he was the dominator. In my book ( which is imaginary of course) I fail to see anything to convince me that he is one of the best SMW's. Of course you can argue that he is relatively to the guys around him in the division. However just because a division's talent pool is shallow doesn't necessarily mean we propel the mediocre ones who stand out to be the best amongst a poor bunch to be better than they truly are.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Amazing one and Twentyman like this.
  6. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Then there's the weight issue. Unless Callum has hollow legs it can't be sustainable for him to make 168 long more. He looked more big relative to groves ( who is prob back to his normal walking around weight now) than groves looked relative to cej. This has to be a factor.

Twentyman likes this.
  7. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    I'm wondering if he will be suffering from a lack of confidence after his first two fights. Groves has looked pretty comprehensive so far and he wont be phased by the occasion. Callum is carrying the Smith fighting legacy on his shoulders as well as fighting for his first world title in front of massive crowd and worldwide audience.

Lets set the record straight Smith is an excellent boxer and I think we all agree he has gears to go through. It makes for a cracking final and if he can demolish Groves comprehensively all questions will be answered. He strikes me as one of those sportsmen who competes to the level of the competition. Lots of variables at play though starting with Groves shoulder and Calums hands.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Amazing one, moog and Twentyman like this.
  8. lencoreastside

lencoreastside Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 27, 2010
    I don't mean to harp on about it but I can't get over the size of Callum. Groves is a huge supermiddle, but Callum is enormous...the biggest ever at 168 surely.

9. BigDoofus

BigDoofus Active Member Full Member

Apr 4, 2016
    You're forgetting the bit where Smith pulled out of the world title fight.

10. BigDoofus

Apr 4, 2016
    Really? What about Smith ducking a world title fight with Dirrell? Or him ducking a world title fight with Degale?

Sephiroth Rising 7 likes this.
  11. Momus

Momus Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    The thing with unbeaten, untested fighters is that you never quite know how good they are.

Smith has fought two in a row, and had a rougher time than expected against both. It may be that Skoglund and Holzken were better than they were given credit for. It may also be that Smith isn't as good as many people thought.

The chances are that the truth is somewhere in the middle, but we won't know for sure until he is in there with Groves. Regardless of whether Smith is the real deal or not, we do know that he is a huge guy for the weight with solid fundamentals and no obvious durability issues. He may or may not clean out the division, but he's likely to be a factor in it for as long as he can still make the weight.

12. Scissors

Scissors Posts are sponsored by Matchroom Full Member

Feb 11, 2018
    He didn’t duck Direll, Dirrell changed the location and postponed it several times and in the end he got fed up.

He was then offered the Degale fight of the WBSS. Win either way makes you a world champion, lose either way and it’s a dramatic fall from grace. In hindsight he should have took the Degale fight! But now he’s got a much tougher fight against Groves, let’s see if he prevails.

Twentyman likes this.
  13. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Sorry George but they have replacements as jurgen experienced
    The show must go on
    Shoe on the other foot and gerorgie boy would not be as accommodating

14. BigDoofus

Apr 4, 2016
    Dirrell's team changed the location (so what?) and wanted to bring the fight forward by one day. Smith pulled out and a 20 year old took his place and won the belt.
    Hearn offered him the Degale fight and was shocked when he didn't want to know.

15. anjawnaymiz

anjawnaymiz Can we get Ivan Dychko some momentum Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    smith is overated!

I think groves will crumble him and early

Fhaggis likes this.