Calzaghe - Collins. What if???

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by somerset, Jan 4, 2008.

1. somerset

somerset Active Member Full Member

Apr 8, 2007
    What if Calzaghe had needed to fight Collins for the WBO back in '97? Would history've been different?

After all, Joe was still young and inexperienced then. Steve Collins - tough as nails and full of confidence.

I actually reckon if would've been a pick 'em fight.

2. LiamE

LiamE Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 3, 2007
    Close fight and one that should of happend. To my mind it could play out 2 ways.... firstly a fight....

Joe would match or better Steve's biggest plus point - his workrate - but back then before his hand problems Joe was a genuine puncher with a superb KO ratio.

I'd pick Joe. I see it similar to the Eubank fight, close but clear points win for Joe. Can't really see a stoppage but I could see Steve getting bothered by Joe's punching enough to see a clear winner.

Secondly a brawl...

Now this would have been one to see. Both fighter love to come foward very possibly neither would give an inch and just go at it Haggler / Hearns style.

Judging by the fact Joe put the famously granite chinned Chris on his backside and Chris had Steve in trouble but wouldn't follow it up I'd lean towards Joe. In this case in a brutal all action 3 or 4 rounds. Joe was a harder puncer back then and remains a faster puncher to this day, plus he has a top draw chin. In 20 odd title fights no one has yet matched him by standing toe to toe.

3. mattress

mattress Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Collins didn't want any part of JC.

4. LiamE

LiamE Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 3, 2007
    You blame him?

I say good call Steve.

5. sean

sean pale peice of pig`s ear Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    i watched collins american career as well.

he was what he was.

he was a scott harrison of super middles.

strong /determined/good workrate.

take`s you up to a certain level but not beyond.

6. T.C.W

T.C.W Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Calzaghe beats his ase silly

7. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Bell rings- bloodbath ensues..... Calzaghe cuts stoppage or similar.

8. Ilesey

Ilesey ~ Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Calzaghe would have done him. Collins' heart was no longer for boxing as he couldn't get a fight with Roy Jones. In my opinion he was also starting to show signs of age, wear and tear etc. Calzaghe would have been all over him from the word go.

Joe by late stoppage or clear decision.

9. jc

jc Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 9, 2004
    Entertaining match. but Calzaghe does everything Collins does, and a lot more.

10. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Collins has nothing for Calzaghe. He'd only make it competative cos of Joes inexperience at the time. He'd be done over more or less the same way Eubank was.

11. Calcium Kid

Calcium Kid New Member Full Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Joe wins on points for me, would have been a good fight to see

12. StWerburghs

StWerburghs Active Member Full Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Steve Collins bottled it...the fight was arranged and he pulled out.
    Calzaghe would of taken him i reckon even then.

Prime Benn would of destroyed him aswell. He was not the same after the tragic fight with mclellan and collins took advantage.

Calzaghe may have been abit green, but Collins was obviously too worried about him to take the chance

13. TBooze

TBooze Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 22, 2006
    I think some are forgetting what was happening just before the purposed Collins/Calzaghe match.

Collins himself admitted he was knocked out by some Irish amateur in sparring, and that on top of the knockdown in the Cummings fight persuaded Collins he lacked the drive he once had and that physically he was not what he was, thus he called it a day.

It is just stunning to this very moment that you see a top level fighter call it a day, one fight too soon, rather too late. Collins probably knew he did not have in him to beat Calzaghe, even a 1997 vintage Joe.

14. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Collins called the fight off like ten days before it was due. Very unprofessional.

15. Healy

Healy Former Wee Poof

Feb 13, 2006
    Aye, cause Joe never pulled out of a fight. Yes, unprofessional from Steve, but its not like Joe never pulled out of a fight either.