Calzaghe/Kessler height and reach thread

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by PrideOfWales, Jul 9, 2007.

1. PrideOfWales

PrideOfWales Winston Zedmore Full Member

Apr 20, 2006
    The photo is pretty interesting. No, I'm not talking about Kessler's rapidly receding hairline but it looks like Calzaghe is at least 2 inches taller (ignore the cap, it's all in the eyes). Now I just assumed that Kessler was a little bit taller but the photo reveals the opposite unless Joe's standing on a Yellow pages.

Boxrec states that JC's reach is 73”
    Boxrec states that MK's reach is 73”

Calzaghe has had no issues whatsoever with guys being taller, stronger and longer reach - in fact he's excelled against these types and got sloppy against shorter guys like Reid and Bika.​

2. Sai

Sai Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Calzaghe is about 6'2-3. All of Frank Warrens guys are listed on boxrec as shorter than they are in all reality. The weird thing with Calzaghe is that he actually has really short arms for his height. The weirdest example of this was the Lacy fight, Lacy was about 5 inches shorter and had a 3 inch longer reach.

3. BigReg

BigReg Broad Street Bully Full Member

Jun 26, 2007
    You can't see what type of shoes they're wearing, or whether or not they're standing on a slanted surface, so it's impossible to really tell who's taller from the picture. Regardless, I'm really looking foward to this fight

4. deram

deram Active Member Full Member

Nov 14, 2004
    It is a well-known fact that Joe is listed wrong in Boxrec. However, as far as I have heard from people that saw them together when Joe was in Copenhagen they are equal in height. From the picture it looks like Joe is taller. I definitely think Joe is either taller or they are the same. Either way it should not matter much as neither will have physical advantages worth mentioning.

5. PrideOfWales

PrideOfWales Winston Zedmore Full Member

Apr 20, 2006
    History has shown that Joe's best performances have been against Mitchell (taller, stronger), Lacy (bodybuilder!), Veit (taller) - he seems to be more up for it when there's a physical challenge of the other guy is in some way bigger. I don't see this with Kessler - this is why Kessler starts favourite for this fight.

6. justaboxingfan

justaboxingfan Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    That photo gets me fired up, they're both smiling and seem to be friends outside the ring, and that usually means it'll be an intense match.

7. Rollo

Rollo Active Member Full Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Are you serious?

8. dragosuhail

dragosuhail Active Member Full Member

Apr 12, 2007
    also remember when kessler posed with mundine who is a shorty he slouches forward so much he was almost eye to eye. in this photo kessler looks like he is leaning towards joe a bit while joe is standing more or less straight up.

another thing you gotta remember about photos is the optical distortions. if the photo is taken more to one side than the other, the person closest to the camera (even slightly closer) tends to look bigger, longer etc.

anyway it's a minimal difference in height reach and i still reckon it will come down to age and wear n tear (on joe's hands) in this one.

9. deram

deram Active Member Full Member

Nov 14, 2004

:rofl :rofl

10. sean

sean pale peice of pig`s ear Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    the photo is just angles.

calzaghe is about 6.1 and kessler might be a cm taller , but there will not be much in it.

it is clear that when calzaghe has been matched against 5.10-5.11 fighters in the past he was always inches taller than what he is listed at.

but some people take them as gospel.

hudson said he would favour taylor over calzaghe because he was the bigger and taller man.

calzaghe was a lot smaller than veit , but then again veit is nearly 6.4.

11. Martini643

Martini643 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 31, 2004
    calzaghe is about 6'1 1/2
    kessler is around 6'0

an inch wont make that much of a difference given their styles

12. DanePugilist

DanePugilist God vs God - Death Angel Full Member

Oct 14, 2006
    He is standing on Frank Warren - or a pile of money.

13. DanePugilist

DanePugilist God vs God - Death Angel Full Member

Oct 14, 2006
    Maybe Lacy has long arms for his size? Considering they have about the same measures.

14. Faetter_BR

Faetter_BR Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Kessler is bending his neck - if he stood up strait I think they would be pretty much even in height.

I don't think it will have any bearing on the result - I think their boxing skills will be the desicive factor ;)

15. Jens S

Jens S Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Funny how one photo can make people talk. Manfredo is 5"9. Sure Calzaghe is 6"2:

This content is protected

They are pretty much the same... But wait. Look! Calzaghe IS 6"2:

Or is it just a ventriloquist puppet on his arm?

WAAAAIIIIT A MINUTE:

The guy is only twice the size of a chicken. What a laugh! Two feet tall!!!

NOOOOO! Now he is f*cking tall again??? He is a giant.

What??? Now the guy is just four inch tall??? Is he bleeping David Copperfield? This is too much!!! I'm outta here!

Or wait, wait... follow my drift. Maybe, just maybe they have made doubles of him. Just like Saddam Hussein did. They are all over Britain to promote the fights. But then again: why make him in different sizes and who is the little guy? And which one will face Kessler? Somebody: HELP!

Jens