Calzaghe Kessler, the silent fight?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by The Lads, Oct 23, 2007.

1. The Lads

The Lads Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Is it me or has this fight been totally overshadowed by Hatton PBF?

Two unbeaten champion unifying the division infront of some 55,000 spectators, yet Ive seen almost no column inches for the fight, nothing on TV, and hardly anything on these message boards. The Lacy calzaghe fight received more hype than this!!

Feel sorry for Joe, a little.

2. robpalmer135

robpalmer135 Obsessed with Boxing banned

Jun 29, 2007
    well Hatton is bigger the JC and Mayweather is the best in the world, and Super Middle outside of Europe is seen as a weight class for guys to small for LH/W and not prepared to get down to middle!

This we Brits know is crap and Eubank, Benn, Collins, Watson and Calzaghie would of crushed Jones Jnr, Hopkins and Toney when they were in the division.

3. moff123

moff123 New Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Is that how many tickets they have sold or is that what they expect to sell? Last time i checked it was 35000 sold.

4. robpalmer135

Jun 29, 2007
    plus its on sky, JC is on Setanta

5. eddie007

eddie007 Member Full Member

Oct 1, 2007
    Absolutely no way, this is as an idiotic quote you are likely to hear, you complete MUG.:patsch :patsch :patsch :patsch

6. robpalmer135

Jun 29, 2007
  7. Boro chris

Boro chris Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 14, 2005
    If someone has to explain it to you then there really isn't hope for you mate.:patsch
    Honestly that was the worst post I've ever read on this site. Period.

8. The Lads

Oct 22, 2007
    expected mate.

9. elle

elle Journeywoman Full Member

Aug 21, 2007

No, its not just you as I was thinking along the same lines myself.

For a fight thats less than a fortnight away there really doesn't seem to be the level of anticipation you'd expect that would normally surround a big fight like this.

I think the main reason is that its been overshadowed by Hatton's fight
    but it doesn't help that the undercard is pretty much unknown - far too many TBA's on there at this late stage.

Interest will probably start to pick up in the days leading up to the fight and I presume it must be making the news more in Wales even if it isn't elsewhere.

10. littleguy

littleguy Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Watson (who I think is as brave as they come) couldn't even hang with McCallum. I watched Benn quit against Watson, Eubank consistently avoided anyone with an American accent, and Collins was strong but slow. Calzaghie - who the hell knows - he spent the last half of his career talking big and taking the easy fights.

You don't get to brag about greatness if you fight as a "supermiddleweight." But there's a simple fix. Either drop down to middleweight (where most of these guys belonged anyway) or go up to lightheavy. Don't hang around in Frank Warren's pet weight division.

11. Dunky McCafferty

Dunky McCafferty Boxing Junkie banned

Aug 24, 2004
    To be honest, I think its down to Calzaghe himself a bit.

Joe has never really been interested in a fight with Kessler, when you seen him talking he was always wanting to fight Hopkins or someone else, & when Joe was asked about Kessler he always had an attitude that he couldnt even be bothered with him!

Now that the fight is happening, when you see Joe interviewed he still gives off the same vibe that Kessler isnt in his league, & that he feels he only needs to turn up to beat him, then its onto bigger names.

Its almost as if Joe thinks Kessler is an easy W, & its filtered through to the fans. Joe has all the aces, fighting in his homeland against a fighter he doesnt believe to be in his class, & its as if everyone feels the same, easy win for Joe. Thats why I believe Mayweather vs Hatton is creating a bigger stir.

Joe should have done a 'Hatton' & talked Kessler up more than he has done, but that wouldnt be Joe now would it;) Mr Calzaghe in his mind only has one real rival in boxing today, & thats his hands!

Kessler is a deadly opponent, its just that there arent enough journos who know their boxing enough anymore to realise just how tough a fight this is for the welsh dragon.

12. hitman_hatton1

hitman_hatton1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    i think the general board is just covering this one to death. :yep

every time u look there's a new topic. :scaredas:

13. The Lads

Oct 22, 2007
    I dont think joe is underestimating Kessler though Dunk, Enzo cal certainarly wont be. One thing you know, with Enzo Calzaghe training him there is no way he wont have his arse kicked every day in training.

Come on joe!!!!

Incidentally - did everyone see the size of ring Darren barker was sparring Kessler in?? Looked ruddy tiny to me! Could be the perspective from the photo I suppose.

This content is protected

14. Prosemont

Prosemont Go Hard...Or Go Home Full Member

Oct 24, 2007
    I agree, it has been overshadowed a little. I think it's the general public (outside Wales) take on Calzaghe, they've never really taken to him or his style - thus he's never really hit the super stardom heights he should have ala Hatton, Eubanks etc.

The fight - For me, Joe will edge it. Kessler is a very well rounded boxer, this will be a close one. Kessler is a great fighter, a very underrated boxer (as far as technical ability), due to his punching power. He will give Joe trouble, but Joe has the combination and flurry speed, and this alone will get him past Kessler, in a very close fight. Joe will get the better of Kessler in exchanges on the inside.