Calzaghe on a fight with Ward

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by porkypara, Mar 23, 2020.

1. IsaL

IsaL VIP Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2006
    My boy @22JM spitting facts.

2. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    My answer was quite clear that this was not a robbery. I have been robbed before and experienced it. This was a close fight that went to Ward. Your question is a non sequiter.

3. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    The brilliant thing about Ward’s career is there are no “ifs” and “buts” because he fought and beat them all at their best which unfortunately is something we cannot say about Super Joe Calzaghe. Brilliant fighter was Calzaghe but like Rocky Marciano a bit overrated.

4. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Nope. You just don't like it because it shows the absurdity of your contention that because 3 judges 'saw' it your way it must be an accurate reflection of what occurred and I pointed out that judges have been completely wrong in the past.

Somali Sanil likes this.
  5. Somali Sanil

Somali Sanil Wild Buffalo Man banned Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    How the **** is that even possible...Absolute everything in his favour or fights didn't happen, I wouldn't mind but he was hardly a draw, they lost money paying him for the Kov fights didn't they

Serge likes this.
  6. Somali Sanil

Sep 1, 2019
    The best fighter Ward beat was Kessler, and he fouled his way through that, the same Kessler that had already been beaten by Calzaghe. Kov is an alcoholic and self trained fighter when Ward fought him, hes not as good a win as people think. Your not a fan of the white fighters are you

CooperKupp likes this.
  7. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    I am humbly saying that they were not wrong this time. Let me put it another way would you say professional judges are always wrong? If the answer is yes then you should see the absurdity of such an answer. Are you saying the judges were corrupt in Ward vs Kovalev 1 or that they were incompetent? I am in lockdown so if you want we can watch it again and score it round by round.

8. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    I don’t judge fighters on race. I like black fighters, white fighters, Hispanic fighters, African fighters etc. Since you have brought colour into this let me tell you I actually love Joe Calzaghe as a fighter hence if you look into a lot of my posts on him I refer to him as “Super Joe Calzaghe”. I think he is a great fighter however though unbeaten I have to be truthful about his record. I am a big fan of Tyson Fury the Gypsy King who I strongly predicted would defeat both Wladimir Klitschko and Deontay Wilder when he was the under dog. I don’t like the Klitschko brothers and it’s not because they are white it’s because they are boring fighters who in my personal opinion condemned prisoners should be forced to watch as punishment for their grave crimes. I don’t like Deontay Wilder for his lack of fundamental boxing skills thinking he is something he is not just because God blesses him with power. If you think I am an ******* then trust me I am an equal opportunities *******! I love Andre Ward and George Groves(my mate) and actually quite fond of Carl Froch when he is not being a prat which he cannot help being most of the time. Fundamentally I am a boxing man with strong opinions. Let me close the fact you like one guy does not mean you have to hate the other guy. I love Floyd Mayweather and Miguel Cotto and surprise surprise I am quite fond of Manny Pacquiao. I passionately dislike Oscar De La Hoya and was never a fan of Sugar Ray Leonard who beat all my heroes such as Wilfredo Benitez, Thomas Hearns, Marvelous Marvin Hagler, Ayub Kalule. In fact there was a time I hated Sugar Ray Leonard but let’s be clear I have always respected him as a fighter.

iii and Loudon like this.
  9. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Kovalev was Ward's best win.

10. Sugar 88

Feb 4, 2012
    I was questioning the validity of your assertion that because 3 judges scored the fight for Ward it was the correct result.

There are many occasions when a fighter has had the judges declare him the winner when the clearly shouldn't have.

In my and the opinion of the majority of others who watched the fight the wrong verdict was rendered. I think this is more likely due to corruption/nationalistic bias than it is incompetence. Incompetence would most likely balance out more and as things are we can pretty much always tell which way things are going to go if things are going to get controversial.

11. Somali Sanil

Sep 1, 2019
    Nah, not considering his camps, he wasn't a pro imo at that time, terrible attitude. Ward could exploit that with his cut no corners in training attitude and low blows

12. Somali Sanil

Sep 1, 2019
    Hmmmmm, I think your being a little sarcastic though aren't we with the "super" bit
    That's fair enough, that's your opinion. Would you be as truthful in admitting Ward fought dirty with his head and low blows ?? The answer to this will tell me all I need to know

13. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    That is your opinion and I respect your right to hold. You will also note that there are many boxing people and fans like I who saw Ward make the adjustments and win the contest. In any event in the rematch Ward closed the show and stopped Kovalev who I don’t believe ever requested a 3rd fight. This is because Ward took his soul.

14. Sugar 88

Feb 4, 2012
    He made adjustments and that made the fight competitive. Doing better than he was before convinced some people he did enough to win rounds that I believe if viewed in isolation most people wouldn't give him.

It's this story of the fight bollocks Kellerman likes to talk about.

15. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    Hear we go again. I use the term “Super” to refer to Joe Calzaghe out of respect for his outstanding accomplishments and I am accused of being sarcastic. Some other posts accused me of not liking white fighters on this thread. I actually don’t wholly blame Joe for the question marks in his career rather I think Frank Warren who promoted him then who I have the utmost respect for must share some of the blame.
    Head butts, low blows etc this is boxing. Don’t ***** retaliate is the rule. When the likes of Kessler complain about head butts, Kovalev complaining about low blows or Hatton complaining about Mayweather roughing him up on the inside with his elbows etc frankly make themselves look ridiculous and lesser than the valiant warriors they professed to be. You said my answer will tell you what you need to know so I will develop my comments further as a full response is required. I come from the school of boxing were you don’t complain. If you get roughed up and the referee is not protecting you then you take care of business. Hatton always roughed up his opponents. I was ringside when after getting an early boxing lesson from Tyzu he roughed up the great champion in Manchester with borderline illegal tactics. Tyzu did not complain nor did I rather I admired Hatton’s determination to win by any means possible. So was frankly ashamed when he made excuses about the rough stuff he felt Mayweather gave him on the inside when they fought. The old saying in boxing if you want to dish it out you need to able to take it. The big problem the likes of Kessler and Kovalev and even Froch encounter with Ward is that despite his vaunted boxing skills they get shocked by his sheer toughness and physical strength. They think they will go in and bully him then they get in there and he physically dominates allied with his strength and skills. When Azumah Nelson fought Jeff Fenech in Australia he did not complain when a desperate Fenech kneed him in the balls instead he knocked him spark out. You may dislike Ward which is your prerogative what is not your prerogative is to rewrite history with alternative facts. I call things like I see them. I am have been highly critical of Deontay Wilder’s excuses for losing to Fury such as the BS it was the weight of the costume he wore to pay homage to Black History month etc. I am a black man and have never heard such crap for a loss. I was expecting him to say the pressure of Black history month overwhelmed when the truth was it was Tyson Fury accuracy, pressure, weight and increased punch power combinations that did him in spectacularly. As Marlon Starling once said in boxing after every defeat there is an injury could read after every defeat there are excuses. Sometimes you get more credibility if you just admit the better guy kicked your ass on the night like AJ admitted when Andy Ruiz beat him and Tyson when he lost to Holyfield and Lewis.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Loudon likes this.