Calzaghe on a fight with Ward

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by porkypara, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    I would say that I think Lacy could have had a much, much more impressive career but for that night in Manchester. That beating and subsequent injuries took everything from him but had he not run into a vastly underrated Calzaghe I think he'd have ended up being remember as a more prestigious belt holder.

Comparable to a Paul Williams or Vernon Forrest perhaps? Perhaps I'm giving him too much credit but I think others are way too harsh on poor Jeff.

2. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    I think lacy was a nice guy i have nothing against him he showed tremendous toughness and took a beating like a man and he did have a shoulder injury that side trackedhis career. IMO I think Williams and especially Forrest were much better fighters than Lacy. Both have better wins than Lacy and Forrest without a doubt was much more skilled.

That was a great performance by calzaghe that night one of the very best of the era and i became a fan after that fight. I think he's an atg and would be great in any era could he beat ward no doubt but it wouldn't be a schooling like he did lacy that's for sure.

3. Sugar 88

Sugar 88 The Empire Struck Back Full Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Forrest was def more skilled and Williams had far superior wins. I just think we never saw what the best version of Jeff could have been. He may have got to the level of those guys had things shook out a little differently IMO.

FWIW I also think Williams doesn't get anywhere enough credit.

Pimp C likes this.
  4. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    How would they fight ?? Calslappy wont leave the UK & Ballbuster Ward wont leave the US ROFL. I guess they'd have to do it online sat at their puters ROFLMAO

Loudon likes this.
  5. don owens

don owens Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 5, 2005
    PimpC got hypocrisy much? Have a different opinion on this matter and I am agenda driven? Run your mouth all you want. You won't let me get away with it? dude that is a laugh. As far as what I do, think and say ...you have no say in the matter. I have read your drivel for a long time. occasionally you may make a point...a broken clock. could not care less. the rest of the time you are a clown. yes, you know some things about boxing. take that knowledge to the coffee shop with a twenty dollar bill and have a cup of joe. gtfoh....you are the queen of agenda...understand? Loudon......sorry I offended the mighty boxing demigod of head butts and ball sack punching. now does that feel better?

6. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    In the cause of fairness it's only right to say that, for most of his career, Joe benefitted from the same advantages.

7. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Does anyone else think that this could have been a real stinker ? Ward is a spoiler by nature. Of course he has a great skillset too but his instinct is to stand on opponents, tie them up and try to disturb them with his broad range of nefarious tactics as already described on this thread.
    It wasn't unknown for Joe to look bad against guys who wouldn't engage with him. Bika and Hopkins have already been mentioned but who remembers that appalling 12 rounds with David Starrie ? That has got to be one of the worst fights ever seen in a British ring.
    I'd pick Calzaghe on points in a fight that would not prompt calls for a re-match.

Loudon and don owens like this.
  8. Jeff M

Jeff M Future ESB HOF Full Member

Nov 22, 2008
    I have to go with prime Joe on points. Of course, some of that reasoning is dependent on Ward not being able to get away with billy goat tactics as he did against the Viking Warrior.

9. RingKing75

RingKing75 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Dec 23, 2013
    I think Ward wins a clear decision. Ward has always been a bit underrated while Calzaghe a bit overrated.

10. Pimp C

Pimp C Too Much Motion Full Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Look at you mad because I destroyed your pathetic post and called it out for what it was ill informed agenda driven trash. You're right you can say and think what you want to but I'll be here to keep you in check as well remember that. Calzaghe lacys ward log off.

Loudon and don owens like this.
  11. don owens

don owens Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 5, 2005
    wow. a boxing site. a couple of nit wits....one of them is beyond delusional. you will keep no one in check..someone..in this incidence me...expresses an opinion ...so you jump to calling names. you possess no self awareness...you exude agenda from your pores....so because I express an opinion...it causes two people's panties to tighten up unbearably. oh well, I will just have to live with it. just a suggestion that might help you both in the future.....buy a larger size of panties. hope that helps.

Loudon and Pimp C like this.
  12. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Hey man, I'm not going to say that Andre wasn't dirty at times. And I have no issue at all with anyone who thinks that Joe would have beaten him. But saying that Joe would have won easily is a gross exaggeration. There's zero evidence to put forward to support that theory. None whatsoever. Joe never easily beat a great fighter in his entire career, and he struggled with guys who shared similarities with Andre Ward.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Pimp C likes this.
  13. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    It could very well have looked like the Hopkins fight.

LoadedGlove likes this.
  14. Loudon

Mar 7, 2012
    That made me laugh.

Of course everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

It's what makes the forum great.

No need to fall out.

Let's be real though.

You've got to expect some heat if you think that Joe would have beaten up Andre Ward in the way that he beat up Lacy.

That's just a fantasy.

You must know that, otherwise you wouldn't have liked LoadedGlove's post, above.

LoadedGlove and don owens like this.
  15. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    I'd take Joe to outpoint him , he'd be the busier fighter by far with Ward waiting to much for opportunities,,, 115-113.