calzaghe or hatton

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by hotshot, Jun 1, 2019.

1. hotshot

hotshot New Member Full Member

Feb 4, 2018
    who was greater out of the two in your opinion?

2. Optimus Grime

Optimus Grime Member Full Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Easy one -

Following and Ticket sales = Hatton

Career wise = Calzaghe

3. mstar

mstar Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 5, 2005
    easyyyy Calzaghe!

ryanm8655 and Suspect.chin like this.
  4. Suspect.chin

Suspect.chin Active Member Full Member

Dec 3, 2017
  5. Shakermaker

Shakermaker Active Member Full Member

Mar 19, 2019
    Calzaghe no question. Hatton a top fighter though with a following which will probably never be seen again

6. Patter983

Patter983 Active Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Is this a serious question ? I think you would find it hard to find anyone who thought Hatton was greater

7. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Easily Calzaghe.

8. im sparticus

im sparticus There Ye Go. Full Member

May 16, 2010
    A.J

9. LEE WHYTE

LEE WHYTE Y.T.999 Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Calzaghe, but preferred to watch Hatton

10. emallini

emallini Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Hatton gets underrated nowadays but still Calzaghe

11. Dragon Punch

Dragon Punch Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 15, 2012
    I loved the Hatton nights much more, but Calzaghe was the better fighter.

Having said that, Joe never faced an elite fighter in their prime unlike Hatton - not really his fault
    but I think it’s a fair point.

12. moog

moog Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Calzaghe was much better, no comparison in my mind. I know many preferred watching Hatton over Calzaghe, but I preferred watching Calzaghe.

13. bbjc

bbjc Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 25, 2012
    I still say hatton. Its just that hatton ran into two prime all time greats. Calzaghe would have had the same result against similar greats as hatton had imo tho. Calzaghe was lucky with his match making and that the only real greats he fought we,re past there best. The older guys suited his style. Cause even the younger guys struggled with his pace. He was basically a nitemare opponent for them. Same as hatton for the older guys tbf.

Dont think there was much between them tho. Similar careers. Joe just picked better fights at the right times and didnt really go up against anyone in mayweather and pacmans class. Hattons skills we,re underrated. People dont really appreciate the inside fighter as much as the outside fighter or the guy that can do both but ricky was different class at it. It was a work of art at times. Boxing fsns never really appreciate it as much. Think he slipped after tyszu. Or tyszu took more out of him that people realised. Still say it was the best win between them. Regardless tho two great fighters. Still feel frustrated with calzaghe. Wasted so many years with so little interest in his career. Always felt ricky dared to be great as opposed to calzaghe playing it too safe. Kessler was always slightly overrated and the american he beat up wasnt up to much. Roy jones finished completely and he should have finished hopkins. Great fighter tho but rickys still paying for daring to be great.