Calzaghe: "Reid is shot! Froch can punch but, defensively, he is very loose...

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Decebal, Nov 7, 2007.

1. robpalmer135

robpalmer135 Obsessed with Boxing banned

Jun 29, 2007
  2. rossle

rossle Active Member Full Member

May 15, 2007
    Reid will show all his old man tricks and befuddle Froch and come on later, he may even drop Froch with his overhand right while Carl is lunging in. Carl hasnt tasted a powerfull punch yet, hes been spoon fed a diet of smaller journey men with no power, Magee was ok for an opponent but he has no power but even then he was outboxing Froch. Carl Froch aint all he makes out to be, why at 30 is he still too scared to face an active unbeaten fighter ? Also Robin will be the first opponent of Carls that has held a world title, none of Carls previous opponents have even been title challengers, the guy is a joke

3. Steve Fox

Steve Fox Guest

You don't know boxing, you just don't like Froch.

4. rossle

May 15, 2007
    I do know boxing, I used to box, I had 18 fights. Froch hasnt faced any decent rated or unbeaten punchers, he doesnt know what a hard fight is, he leaves his left hand low and is easily outjabbed, he is slow on his feet and is always left looking at thin air while his opponent pivots round him, he has gotten away with his poor boxing because of the size or age advantage he usualy holds. He has been out since february and has had knee surgery he hasnt been able to train properly because of the surgery, his last 2 fights didnt go 5 rounds combined, so he hasnt had much boxing for the past 18 months and been out 9 months, he will be russty and not sharp at all. Robin has been there and done it, he came back with 2 weeks notice after 18 mionths out to fight someone younger than Froch who was the only person to score a ko on the first contender series, brinkley isnt great but is a handfull with power, with the short notice and long absence from boxing Robin did a brisk 8 rounds and looked ok considering the circumstances, he will be sharper than Froch and Carls open defence will be good for Robin also the slow pace that Carl fights at will suit Robins age, Carl not being sharp will help Robin get settled early and on the flip side Robins old man tricks and rough housing will not allow Carl to settle and get any timing or distance going.

This is an optimistic view for Robin but they are all very valid points and I look forward to seeing Rob shut Carl up, what has Carl done so far that would worry Calzaghe ?

5. PrideOfWales

PrideOfWales Winston Zedmore Full Member

Apr 20, 2006
    I'd say that's a fairly decent reply to the "You don't know boxing" quip.

One thing Froch has going for him is his punch power - and Reid eats a lot of punches. I can't overlook this. Frock by stoppage.

6. rossle

May 15, 2007
    I dont think his power is that great, Robin himself isnt a massive puncher but he managed to drop Magee 4 times, Magees southpaw stance and holding because he feared Robins power are what got him to the final bell. When Carl fought him he could only manage to drop him twice, ok he stopped him but he fought Magee 2 years after Reid softened the unbeaten version in his own back garden up.

The only person we can guage his power on is his last opponent who has taken other fighters the distance but even then the guy should have been allowed to carry on, tough fighters have these reputations because they can take the punishment, how far would have evander holyfield got with that ref ?

7. Dunky McCafferty

Dunky McCafferty Boxing Junkie banned

Aug 24, 2004
    I admire your confidence Mr Rossi, but i think you are expecting to much from an old Reid, if you dont mind me saying. His disasterous defeat to Lacy showed that hes not the fighter he used to be.

8. GazOC

GazOC Guest Star for Team Taff Full Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I hope Reid wins but hes looked shot for a while, looking poor against Lacy is excusable but against Brinkley (and I do think Reid looked very poor that night)?

9. Betty Swollocks

Betty Swollocks James 'Lights Out' Toney Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    I like Froch, he can be a funny *******..but for me it's hard to argue with anything Rossle says and don't see how Reid can be 7/1 underdog here.

Froch has looked shitty at times and a lot of the supposed big power theory seems to come from what was a bull**** stoppage over tough but limited Tatevosyan. He always refers to his win over 'world class Henry Porras' and that gives you a clue to the level of his opposition, if that's the one he bangs on about.
    As Rossle says their fights against Magee are a decent yardstick...although Froch' win looks more conclusive on Boxrec, in reality that's not the case.

I didn't see Reid against Brinkley and yes he's past his best, but is he totally done? He's only 36.

I agree that Reid is underdog in this fight but no way is he a 7/1 shot. Unless someone can convince me he's shot to pieces.

10. timber

timber Active Member Full Member

Dec 12, 2005
    problem with Reid is that even when he was in his prime he was very one paced and seriously relied on a one shot KO. In his last fight (Brinkley)at the UK contender he won but it was a very messy fight. I would love to see Robin win but I think his best days are definately behind him now.
    Lets hope he at least lands that hook on Frochs whiskers!!

11. The Exile

The Exile FUBAR Full Member

Aug 17, 2004
    It would make my year if Reid managed to knock out Froch.

Even though he is long past his prime they do say that every fighter has one great performance left in them so hopefully this can be his.

Its pretty laughable that at this stage of Froch's career, Reid is the best fighter he has faced.

Froch will never be the man of the division.

12. Decebal

Decebal Lucian Bute Full Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Reid is shot for all intents and purposes.

He probably looks at this as a last payday.

This is not going to ask difficult questions of Froch.

Froch will hit Reid hard and Reid will go down and will stay down, realising that he's got no chance.

The only interesting aspects of the fights for me are:

1. Froch's defence - I want to see how well he defends in the early rounds, if Reid even bothers to do his best and try to win

2. Whether the ref will stop it early once Froch starts bombing him...

I think this could end very soon...

13. THN

THN Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 8, 2007
    This fight is a disgrace to Froch! claming to be one of the top dogs in the SMW division, he's like Mundine - all mouth!

14. zulander

zulander Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 17, 2006
    froch can crack both arent active enough if froch can put some combos together he should get reid out of there