Calzaghe v kolavev

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Trecco bay, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Geddy Lee

Geddy Lee Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 8, 2008
    :good and dont forget the fight with a Prime Robin Reid, was amazing the shots he took too, Calzaghe was a fabulous fighter

2. Geddy Lee

Dec 8, 2008
    Calzaghe would be in and out punching him before he knew what was what, he would just do as he did with lacy, eassy fight for JOe

Froch would beat Kov. Froch has one of the best chins in boxing, wonder if kov could take his bombs

3. Hullk

Hullk Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Now that's a fight I'd like to see but I think Kov punches harder than Kessler or Taylor and Froch was troubled by their power.

What did Kov weigh on fight night v Clev btw? Anyone know? I missed that.

4. dannyboy147

dannyboy147 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Firstly i do rate Kovalev and certainly do not think Cleverley is a bum, i commend the man for taking a risk and fighting the best. Isn't this what we all demand as fans yet as soon as it happens and they lose we call them bums/over hyped etc?!!!

Calzaghe would make easy work of Kovalev even at 175. Yes he has great power but he was blowing out of his arse after 3 rounds. Calzaghe would have picked him apart and Joe would not have been hit as clean as cleverley was.Joe just doesn't stay in the same place long enough to be hit.Kovalev puts his shots together well but he doesn't have the speed or the smarts to think about competing on the level of Joe.

Cleverley seemed disheartened after tasting the power, he should have kept him at range and waited for an opening yet he crumbled and was there to be hit. Show boating and dropping his guard was an awful decision.

Clev can come back from this but a Kovalev rematch doesn't seem likely nor the fight with Hopkins.

5. The_Sugar_Man

The_Sugar_Man Member Full Member

Jun 25, 2011

True, but clev had a 12 week training camp where eubank never. :thumbsup

6. The Chosen

The Chosen Well-Known Member Full Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Prime Hopkins?

What?.....What? :huh

Prime Roy too eh?

7. bailey

bailey VIP Member Full Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Joke thread?
    Kovalev has 2 notable wins in my opinion, Cleverly and Campillo. Do you think either of those 2 fighters were at the same level of many of the fighters Calzaghe beat? I dont. Kovalev can obviously punch but prime Calzaghe had a sound chin and beat far more accomplished fighters

8. Johnny Coyle

Johnny Coyle . Full Member

Mar 20, 2011
    like that makes a massive difference :nut

9. Johnny Coyle

Johnny Coyle . Full Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Unlike clev, calzaghe can box from the outside and can counter...

10. UndisputedUK

UndisputedUK Boxing Addict Full Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Froch and all the others won't take Kovalev's power. When will people get it into their heads that he hits so hard and so many times, fighters cannot physically take it. He has the size, technique, footwork and boxing skills to deliver the power almost effortlessly too. :happy

11. Geddy Lee

Dec 8, 2008
    total bollocks mate, he was gassing, Clev fought the wrong fight or was not good enough, Froch would have not gone down from those shots, and would have stepped it up after, and have finished him off, as for Calzaghe well.... would have been another Lacy

12. toffeejack

toffeejack Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Would have boxed rings around Kovalev. I don't think he'd be stupid enough to go toe to toe with him like he did Byron Mitchell for example.

13. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Joe was down once against Mitchell, once against Salem, once against Hopkins, and the bogus forearm one against Jones. All those KDs were from right hands.

Eubank was in training to fight on the same bill as Joe, against Mark Prince. He was in very good shape for that fight.

14. Danebrogen

Danebrogen Boxing Addict Full Member

May 20, 2012
    Hard to say, but it would certainly be a slap in the face if Kovalev got knocked by Calzaghe.