Calzaghe - Woods "as good as done"?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by rooq, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Dunky McCafferty

Dunky McCafferty Boxing Junkie banned

Aug 24, 2004
    So if big Clint lands clean on Calzaghe & Joes legs dip you wont be shouting at the TV "Go on my son!"???

I dont believe you!

Come on, some of you englanders must admit that you will want to see Woods win, after all, hes english & theres no more patriotic nation than the english, as much as it pains me to say it. The one thing that I admire about the english is how they stick together when it comes to their own, in ANY sport. So I dont buy the "I will be cheering Joe against Woods" comments.

No way. I know the english too well.

2. stuey

stuey Never bet on England Full Member

Aug 13, 2004
    woods is better than this thread gives him credit for, he will present joe with a fight, dont worry about that

3. Max Molyneux

Max Molyneux Liverpool Liver Tickler Full Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Calzaghe Is my favourite fighter though so I will be cheering him although I like Woods.

4. the beaver

the beaver Guest

This is a good fight for both.

Good payday for Woods and the chance to beat a UK legend, and a good stepping stone for Calzaghe and a belt to neg at LHW in his nxt fight in the states.

5. Strike

Strike Boxing Addict banned

Sep 14, 2004
    I will support Calzaghe. Basically if Calzaghe lost all the yanks would say he was a **** Euro bum exposed for what he is, as Woods was a nobody who got raped by RJJ etc etc.

Woods is not good enough to make a name as one of the best, Calzaghe has a chance to beat Hopkins or Dawson etc and shut up the delusional yanks talking crap about British boxers.

6. Boro chris

Boro chris Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Absolute crap! You don't know me from Adam mate so don't lump me in as part of some congealed english mass.
    You say you know the english too well! What are we some single entity!?
    As for Calzaghe, well I've been a fan since he beat Eubank when I recognised something special about this 'British' fighter!
    If I state an opinion it will always be an honest one.

7. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Quality fighter. Calzaghe has dominated 168 and his real biggest rival is a middleweight who is tied up in a rematch.

If Joe wants to go to 175 I think Woods is a good bet. He is as strong a titlist as any.

Joe can get a lot from this fight. Woods will come to fight him too. Woods will be valiant but he can't beat Joe. He'll put up a good scrap but he'll be overmatched.

Joe can then look to one or two more fights with the likes of Tarver, Hopkins etc Not sure if they'll want it though.

8. robpalmer135

robpalmer135 Obsessed with Boxing banned

Jun 29, 2007
    Calzaghe said he wont be fighting woods as the Yanks dotn give a **** about him.

I think he will wait as long as he has to for Hopkins or Taylor vs Pavlik winner!

9. Decebal

Decebal Lucian Bute Full Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Why would Calzaghe want to fight Tarver? He wouldn't even get the respect he would get for fighting Hopkins. Anyway, I don't think there would be much money in it at all. The Woods fight is much more likely than the Tarver fight, in my opinion.

10. Strike

Sep 14, 2004
    The best fights for Calzaghes legacy and for the US recognition are Hopkins, Dawson and Pavlik.
    Pavlik would be perfect, the yanks think he is the next coming and about 70% of them predict a brutal KO win for Pavlik, and it would be a piece of **** for Joe. Lacy style.

Dawson is a much toughter prospect due to actually having speed and footwork, but he can be hurt and Hopkins would be easily outworked and outsped.

Those 3 then retire.

11. Decebal

Mar 10, 2007
    Hopkins, Dawson and Pavlik, like the previous poster said. But can Calzaghe stretch to three? An will any of these three face him? I don't think Dawson and Pavlik would and it looks like Hopkins might not either.

12. robpalmer135

robpalmer135 Obsessed with Boxing banned

Jun 29, 2007
    Dawson and Pavlik are the same as Lacy, overhyped Yanks. Dawson doesnt even fight on HBO.

I think Taylor will beat Pavlik 2nd time round.

13. Strike

Sep 14, 2004
    Dawson looks pretty good to me. I don't think he is anything like Lacy, he has genuine speed and throws decent combinations, he goes to the body and throws the lead uppercut (from what I have seen) with a decent amount of disguise. And he is not flat footed.

He is being overrated because of course the US contingent are making out he is incredible based on beating the poldder Adamek and old man Harding.

14. Decebal

Mar 10, 2007
    Dawson is not being overrated in the US one bit! In fact, no one has heard of him in the US...when they talk about the best at 175, the Americans talk Hopkins, Tarver and Johnson...

Americans generally only overrate have-been NAMES or young fighters who beat one of their stars - like Pavlik...had Pavlik beaten a fighter as good as Taylor who wasn't American...they wouldn't have taken that much of an interest, generally.

This is why Dawson would rather beat shot Tarver than hungry live prime Diaconu - Diaconu who?? He looks a bit like Pavlik...but he ain't American, is he?

15. Decebal

Mar 10, 2007
    None of the very good American posters on this site would claim anything close to that...it doesn't really apply...and yes, many of the very best of the very best posters on this site are American...:yep