Calzaghe - Woods "as good as done"?

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by rooq, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Decebal

Decebal Lucian Bute Full Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Well...you've got to let people have their fun!;)

2. rooq

rooq Rooq's Boxing Promoter Full Member

Jan 16, 2007
    nah.

tbh i think this applies more to team sports at national level. obviously if it was wales vs england football or rugby, the english would be supporting england. i don't know anyone who would support woods against calzaghe just because he's english, and thats not an exageration.

3. Words

Words Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 21, 2007
    This is a great fight, and its only being derided because the Americans only saw Clinton Woods get murdered by Roy Jones.

The Woods - Johnson trilogy is one of the most under-appreciated trilogies of modern boxing, they were three very even, exciting and to-and-fro contests. Clinton Woods has a massive heart and plenty of world-class experience. He's also got fast hands and an iron chin. Of all the light-heavyweight champions at the moment, Woods is the one who's been at the top of division longest, even if he isn't a better fighter than Hopkins and Dawson (which is debatable btw). Its a good fight for Joe, and for Clinton. Woods is just as tough an opponent as Mikkel Kessler, infact Woods is probably tougher just due to his greater experience.

I would expect this to be a tough and exciting 12 rounder which Calzaghe will win 8-4 rather like the Kessler fight. Dont ignore it coz it could be a great fight. It'd be more entertaining that Hopkins, thats for sure.

4. Danny

Danny Guest

Calzaghe will outbox Woods if the fight happens. In my view, it does little, if anything at all, for Calzaghe in terms of legacy, beating the best, etc.

Woods has done well for himself, but he's not that special type of boxer Calzaghe is. Joe would throw & land much more punches than Woods.

I'd rather see Calzaghe-Dawson or Calzaghe-Pavlik for that matter. Dawson is young, hungry, has solid skills, etc.

Me thinks Dawson-Calzaghe would be a good fight! Agree or not?

5. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2006
    Calzaghe TKO9 Wright

Seems like Joe will retire without having faced a single LHW younger than 43.