Calzaghe

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by dan-b, Apr 10, 2008.

1. SleazeNation

SleazeNation Coal Black Horse Full Member

Nov 10, 2007
    So you think that p4p #1 Roy Jones Jnr, holding all titles at 175 was going to "chase" the WBO 168 title holder for a fight?

And I'm a "kid" for saying he wouldn't? Ok.

2. mattress

mattress Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I think Jones in one the greatest fighters in the past 30 years but his resume is filled with the names of quite a few people who shouldn't have been in the ring with him. I realise that it also contains a multitude of great boxers but surely Calzaghe would have been a better name on his CV than,say, Eric Lucas or Merqi Sosoa? To say that he should even feel the need to fight Calzaghe is garbage. The same goes for Hopkins, who had at least one chance to previously face Calzaghe but chose to turn and run.

3. SleazeNation

Nov 10, 2007
    I have not commented on Roy Jones' career, at all.
    I'm a British boxing fan and all I care about is British fighters going for the biggest fights they can get. Roy Jones was the best fighter in the world and he was fighting one division above Calzaghe for the vast majority of Calzaghe long world title reign.
    If Calzaghe had of fought at 175 a fight with Roy wouldv'e been a possibility, but staying at 168 and fighting in Britain isn't going to get a fight with the biggest name in the sport.

Tell me any fighter Roy Jones defended his light heavyweight titles against who hadn't done AT LEAST one of these things;
    1) Wasn't a mandatory defence
    2) Had never fought at the weight before
    3) Had never fought in America

How can anyone claim that Calzaghe REALLY attempted to get a fight with Roy Jones, when he did nothing that fighters who actually WANT the biggest name in the sport do.

I am not a "kid" for saying that, it's very plain and easy to understand.

4. mattress

Apr 8, 2007
    So why don't people, who have said that Calzaghe should not have stayed in his comfort zone for all these years, no applaud the fact that he's going to Las Vegas to fight the Great Bernard Hopkins? What if he wins in style, loves the whole thing and decides that he wants his last two fights out there?

I think it would definitely be a significant thing to do but to some, would it be just a case of too little, too late?

5. SleazeNation

Nov 10, 2007
    It's far too late, Bernard is 43 years old, and he's lost twice to Taylor - who is a pretty average middleweight...

Roy Jones for the first 5 years of Calzaghe's world championage was THE fight to prove himself, and now he can't prove anything.
    I find that really annoying, but I seem to be on my own. Everyone else is happy with Lacy, Kessler and a 43 year old Hopkins... :-(
    Well, I suppose as long as he's pleased the majority of you, he's done some good.

But forever in my mind, Hatton > Calzaghe. And already Haye > Calzaghe. For taking the biggest challenges available.

6. mattress

Apr 8, 2007
    So would he get redemption, from you at least, if he finished his career by beating (or at least fighting) Taylor, Pavlik and Dawson?

7. mattress

Apr 8, 2007
    So, you predict a Calzaghe win?

8. SleazeNation

Nov 10, 2007
    If Dawson beats Tarver, he would be the best opponent out there for Calzaghe.

But Dawson is not the p4p #1 fighter in the sport. Calzaghe cannot get redeemed for not fighting (or even trying to get a fight) with Roy Jones when he was sat at 175 defending against anyone who get into a position to fight him. The p4p #1 fighter in the sport isn't around Calzaghe anymore, he pissed the chance to prove himself up the wall. imo.

9. mattress

Apr 8, 2007
    So, no matter who he beats, he is a failure in your eyes? I find that a little disturbing to say the least...but hey, all of us are entitled to our opinion.

10. SleazeNation

Nov 10, 2007
    If I had to favour one, it would be Calzaghe based on younger, quicker and the bigger man throughout their careers... But he's only fought Kessler, and he ain't Bernard, but who is Bernard at 43?...

I'm watching it as a boxing fan, and my the best man win.

11. SleazeNation

Nov 10, 2007
    I find is disappointing, that he wasted a great opportunity. Do you think Chad Dawson matches a prime Roy Jones as an achivement?

12. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    As much as SNation irritates the **** out of me he makes some really valid points.

13. Fat Joe

Fat Joe Let's have it right Full Member

Feb 12, 2008
    He has an encyclopedic knowledge but an antagonistic writing style.

14. SleazeNation

Nov 10, 2007
    Thank you for saying that Jeff, the second part of it anyway.

And I'm really glad Rogan won last week, he was great. :good

15. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    :lol: Some of your points are spot on and you don't consign to what EVERONE else says so your opinion is always interesting. But sometimes your a little lacking in tact when you put your point across which I find irritating. But I agree that Calzaghe missed his oppertunity for elite super stardom by not persuing Jones. What you have now is a case where he's made all his doe against also rans and in his last few fights he has being desperately chasing a legacy. Your right in the fact it might be too late. Lacy is now shot and Kessler is massively over-rated and might not go on to do an awful lot. So Calzaghes two biggest 'defining' fights could easily be concieved as just 'live' opponents when people look back in a few years time where-as had he fought Jones there would have been no doubts about the credability of his opponent. :good