Calzaghe

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by dan-b, Apr 10, 2008.

1. elle

elle Journeywoman Full Member

Aug 21, 2007
    This thread is like a never ending verbal sparring session.

Whether you agree with his points or not SleazeNation certainly has stamina!

2. SleazeNation

SleazeNation Coal Black Horse Full Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Someone has to stand up for ambitious fighters on ESB, and if you love Calzaghe - I need to have a talk with you about it! :lol:

3. elle

elle Journeywoman Full Member

Aug 21, 2007

If I loved Calzaghe we would have debated before now! :lol:

4. SleazeNation

Nov 10, 2007
    My arguments are strong anyway, and I use what happened to make them stronger.

Shall we carry on..?

5. SleazeNation

Nov 10, 2007
    How is this "heresy"...

Roy Jones never defended his light heavyweight titles against a fighter who had never fought at the weight... and rightly so.
    So how did Calzaghe expect to get a fight with the p4p #1 fighting below his weight and in Britain?
    Just don't claim he tried to get a fight. He didn't.

6. SleazeNation

Nov 10, 2007
    I know you weren't referring to Jones, you actually stopped talking about Calzaghe completely because you can't defend him when I talk about the facts.
    :deal

7. SleazeNation

Nov 10, 2007
    I'm the one talking boxing in every post, you're the one name-calling in every post.
    But that's ok,

We've had a million posts in this thread about Joe. I've said my opinion, you must be all out because you're not talking boxing anymore.

8. mike464

mike464 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2005
    Can you blame him? If he'd moved up to LHW when Jones was champion he would have had the crap beaten out of him. In the long run he probably wouldn't have made as much money as he did defending his WBO title against hand-picked opponents.

9. SleazeNation

Nov 10, 2007
    "The same thing" are the facts about what Calzaghe never did in his career. You know, the points I make that you can't answer or argue with, hence you've stopped discussing them.

:readthre:

10. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    Taylor has speed and aththleticism but forgive my french "Speed don't mean ****" without other factors in the arsenal. It was Taylor cautios style and physical strength that unsettled B-Hop on the early parts of both fights something I actually predicted in writing to Boxing News.

I may not know much but I do know boxing and Calzaghe's style is well made for Hopkins. No one thinks Calzaghe is going to charge in like a mad dog but he is and has always been an offensive fighter. Yes he will try and vary his attacks but he will trade and he will engage and the master counter puncher will have a field day. Tell me the last time Joe Calzaghe fought a great counterpuncher if ever? B-Hop is exceptional against southpaws especially busy ones.

11. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    I have never said Taylor was slick because he is not, never has been and never will be. Taylor is a physically strong athletic fighter who is able to take a hard shot. Physically is Light heavyweight who boils down to Middleweight now Super Middleweight. I said similar silly things predicting PBF will stop Hatton between rounds 6-10. Joe will go down in this fight. Most likely he will get up and go the distance and lose on points but he will go down. Underrating B-Hop's ability and know-how is the mistake you guys are making. Offensive fighters don't beat B-Hop.

12. Fat Joe

Fat Joe Let's have it right Full Member

Feb 12, 2008
    David Starie

13. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007
    David Starie was and is nice lad but the words "great" and "puncher" don't apply to him. Your post however points to another telling factor that is the quality of opposition both men have faced. Hopkins has beaten similar types to Calzaghe in fact he thrives on them and Calzaghe has faced no-one remotely liker B-HOP. I am not a B-HOP fan nor a Calzaghe fan but I only see 1 outcome in this one.

14. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Chris Eubank- one of the best counter punchers from the UK of all time. :hey

15. Olu G. Rotimi

May 29, 2007

Jeff Chris Eubank or "Simply the Best" as he called himself was a good fight and a counterpuncher but very far from what could be considered a great fighter. In fact a faded and past his best Eubank is probably the best fighter Calzaghe has faced. Maybe he is one of the best from the UK all time but that does not make him great in my opinion. References to Eubank, Starie, Lacy, Kessler, Reid etc prove my point about quality of opposition the both have faced.