Calzaghe

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by dan-b, Apr 10, 2008.

1. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Olu with respect as always, Eubank was a tremendous fighter and you'd be well served watching how he was avioded early in his career then made his move against a big favourite. Its not an awful lot different to your current plight with Ajose.

2. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    Jeff I agree Eubank was a good fighter in fact with emphasis so that I am cleraly understood a "very good fighter" but he was not agreat fighter like Roy Jones, Mike McCallum, James Toney of the same generation. He was top dog in Britain and Europe but he studiously avoided the top guns of his era from across the Atlantic for very good reason. Would he have beaten any of the 3 I mentioned or Michael Nunn for that matter. This days we want to throw about the word "great" liberally. I have ernomous respect for Eubank who was a tough son of a gun but let us give the appropriate accolades please. Azumah Nelson was great so was James Toney Eubank was very good not great by world standards.

3. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    There you go again. I will never denigrate Eubank. Why would I understand his merits as a fighter and a man. I don't dismiss him I admire him. I know how good he was and how mentally tough he is.. Winning a title or unification does not make a fighter great otherwise Robin Reid and Alan Minter would considered all time greats which they are not and before you ask I like Robin Reid a lot ever since the amateurs. When you cut through the crap with Eubank he was a true fighter man though he had his limitations as well. I am sorry you think I am being a ***** but I am not sentimental when it comes to boxing I call it like I see. I know B-Hop is the underdog again like against Trinidad, Tarver and WSright and see what he did again. I am a big Felix "Tito" Trinidad fan but I will not lie because understandably people in the UK want Calzaghe to win when I know he won't. One thing about boxing don't always look at the obvious as you might miss the plot. Calzaghe will lose this one. Even I have had to appreciate that B-HOP is much better than I thought when he lost to Roy Jones so long ago.

4. mattress

mattress Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 8, 2007
    You have to admire those who put it out on a limb. I love it more tho' when they are wrong.

5. Beatboxer

Beatboxer Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 4, 2006
    Encyclopedic knowledge? Please. He puts forward some of the weakest, most superficial arguments ive seen on this forum and thats saying something, a boxrec warrior if ever there was one. Fluxstuff is right: he bleats the same old **** over and over regardless of what questions are posed to him and blatantly ducks point that contradicts what he says.

Know it all, **** all.