Calzaghe's Old School Training

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by youngmonzon, Nov 4, 2007.

1. lefty

lefty Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Yes, good post. I'm sure he gets all his explosive and strength training from the bodyweight excercises and when he works the pads, the sprinting and weights are unnecessary because they have nothing to do with boxing. His long runs condition his lungs and his legs. The problem with most boxers is their vanity, they want to look big and ripped up so they justify to themselves these 'modern' training methods and trainers want to seem progressive and 'cutting edge'. The original way worked with Sugar Ray and 15 round fights.

2. Relentless

Relentless VIP Member banned

Mar 5, 2006
    :patsch what an idiot, i can understand the weight lifting part but sprinting?

what does squats and push ups have to do with boxing? i mean you're not going to be pushing anything with your hands and legs are you? are you going to go in the ring and get down and do sit ups?

do you know the difference between aerobic and anaerobic?

do you even know what anaerobic means?

and how the **** do you know sugar rays training routine? did you know ray leonard had a gold medal sprinter helping him?

3. lefty

Apr 29, 2006
    I was talking about the real Sugar Ray buddy.

Yes i know what anaerobic means, Calzaghe gets his anaerobic training from doing his pad work and bodyweight excercises explosively, as i said.

Maybe learn to read before you start calling people you don't know idiots.

4. Relentless

Mar 5, 2006
    :rofl :rofl :patsch

please define anaerobic, or atleast tell me what the difference between aerobic and anaerobic is.

'explosive bodyweights' anaerobic:nut

5. Kolya

Kolya Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    I like the guys who don't fight arguing over how a certain kind of training helps you fight better or not.

6. Relentless

Mar 5, 2006
    and please list ray robinsons training routine, did you know at the time the training he was doing was known as 'modern' for that time?

7. Relentless

Mar 5, 2006
    nothing helps you 'fight better'.

8. Kolya

Jul 21, 2004
    Then why do we have a two page argument over whether or not Joe Calzaghe would be better if he lifted or not? after all; it's all individual, different strokes for different folks.

9. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    That would be kinda pointless, the guys on the Internet...

10. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Lifting weights correctly for a specific goal can never be a bad thing.

Those that say weights are bad for boxing don't have a clue.

11. lefty

Apr 29, 2006
    I'm not gonna get all scientific on you but anaerobic is when you aren't getting sufficient oxygen for the excercise, it happens during high intensity excercise. It isn't just confined to when you're doing sprints you dummy, you should keep slapping your head.

Have you ever boxed in a gym? If yes, do you think when you're doing your heavy bag sprints they aren't as effective for your anaerobic system as when you're running? Use your head mate, it's not that difficult to understand, anything done explosively to your limits is anaerobic.

12. Relentless

Mar 5, 2006
    ****inhell how old are you 16?

13. Kolya

Jul 21, 2004
    I know; I lift weights myself when I have the chance. But I'm assuming Joe is the same as me in that boxing training comes first. And all that said training entails.

14. lefty

Apr 29, 2006
    Probably not bad, but not beneficial. There is nothing you can do with weights boxing related that you can't do with bodyweight excercises. Weights target certain areas, you're a boxer so you want your whole bodies strength to be coordinated and balanced.

15. enquirer

enquirer Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Relentless,hazetheman is correct in his comments mostly.....