Calzaghe's Old School Training

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by youngmonzon, Nov 4, 2007.

1. enquirer

enquirer Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Kolya has very kindly answered you back on your rhethorical question. Im not saying new methods or techniques cannot be used or even improve on some old methods or basic methods,im saying that weights are not always essential to be a great boxer,and that even today many of the greats do not use weights,tell me if morales,barerra or jc chavez used deadlifts and squats?

2. lefty

lefty Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Hopkins didn't use weights either as far as i know until he moved to Light-heavy, Guys like Mayweather and Holyfield had no choice but to use weights because they moved up weight divisions.

3. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Please go do some research and try to understand what we're talking about before typing this kind of crap. You seriously have no clue whatsoever.

4. lefty

Apr 29, 2006
    Tell me how i'm wrong? From what i've read in your posts you're a fat dude who doesn't excercise apart from lifting weights every now and then when you feel like, so tell me what you know? We are talking boxing here, i think your toy weight set is calling........

5. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    I don't care if they do or don't, what I'm saying is anyone can benefit from weight training. Sprinters, boxers, football players, swimmers, marathon runner, martial artists, bodybuilders (obviously), gymnasts, the average guy, whoever you are weight training can be beneficial.

6. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    Um, okay. It's fine to admit you're wrong, you don't have to try and insult the adults...

7. lefty

Apr 29, 2006
    I know exactly what i'm talking about, there is absolutely no need for any of those excercises, i'm glad you enjoy playing with your weights and getting big and strong but we're talking boxing here, perfecting your technique, timing, co-ordination while shadowboxing or hitting the pads is gonna help your punching power and stamina more than any weights ever will.

8. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    :lol: :good

9. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    He boxes, he just has a different philosophy regarding weights. I'm just as tired of debating this **** as he is, we've done it a million times. I agree with you btw, I'm in the no-weights camp. Even bodyweight exercise is nothing more than warming up for me, I don't expect anything from it :D

10. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    I think what he means is a large part of punching power is caused by muscle memory. I tend to agree with him.

11. watch4sharx

watch4sharx New Member Full Member

Oct 24, 2007
    Alot of this has to do with muscle memory. Most of the time when people lift weights, they are training their muscles to move very slowly, albeit powerfully, over a very specific range of motion. Most of the time that range of motion and speed does not translate well to boxing. I think this is where the idea that weights are detrimental to boxers comes from. For me, this holds very true, I feel much much slower after lifting weights, and going back to shadow boxing. You should get stronger lifting weights, and some exercises like the bench press will increase your punching power, but for me personally, I like very fast hand speed, so I lift weights very sparingly.

12. lefty

Apr 29, 2006
    Marathon Runners, martial artists are not gonna get a thing out of lifting weights, Football players need to have the weight on them so weights are necessary, Gymnasts need strength way above their bodyweight so weights are neceassary, the average guy who doesn't excercise is the one who is gonna get the most out of weights.

Regardless we are talking about boxing and strength and how much you can bench press has zero to do with how powerful your punch is or how much stamina you have.

13. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    Of course muscle memory is a huge part of a punch, but saying increasing the strength in your legs, back, chest and arms won't make any difference in punching power is just ignorant.

14. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    Martial artists won't get anything from lifting weights? Strength, speed, endurance, increased bone density, increased flexibility, to name just a few benefits for martial artists.

I don't know if I could be bothered to argue with you to be honest. Like I've said, you have no clue, you're trying to argue points you know nothing about.

15. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    All the points you've given show you don't know how to weight train for boxing.