Calzaghe's Old School Training

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by youngmonzon, Nov 4, 2007.

1. enquirer

enquirer Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 18, 2006
    One thing many of you are overloooking is that for some folks weight training does overdevelop muscles that dont need such pronounced size,sometimes getting stronger/more muscular means sacrificing speed,stamina,mobility and power...
    Mostly the great boxers named who used weights did so when moving up divisions,and how many boxers can you really say got better as they got bigger muscles or moved up?
    Hearns was better at the lower weights,as was jones,pbf ,spinks and tyson was better before he hit the weights and so on.....I would like to know
    which boxer became better after using squats,deadlifts and bench presses? Shannon briggs?

2. lefty

lefty Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2006
    You already get all the strength you need from other excercises when you box, as i said before i'm glad your weight training makes you feel strong and good about yourself but it's doing zero for your boxing game, that's if you do box.

3. lefty

lefty Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Excellent post, good point about the great boxers looking better before they went up weight divisions, as guys move up they seem to lose stamina and look stiffer.

4. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Yes, you can gain weight in the form of muscle but only if you eat more. Again, this down to to incorrect training/diet or the individual not knowing what he/she is doing. You can easily maintain your current weight and increase strength.

5. BITCH ASS

BITCH ASS "Too Fast" Full Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Weights TAKE AWAY Speed.

6. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    Are you joking?

7. enquirer

Mar 18, 2006
    Yes you can gain strength without adding weight by low reps and/or monitoring the diet whilst normal weight training.....
    But i will say this,show me how weight/strength training has made any significant boxer a harder puncher,faster or have more stamina? Examples?

8. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    I don't need examples. If you knew anything about human anatomy and physiology and the mechanics of a punch, you'd understand that you could increase punching power with correct weight training.

9. enquirer

Mar 18, 2006
    Listen,i dont care if your a phd doctor,just give me ONE example of any great boxer improving his punch power,speed or stamina after weight training?
    If it were a simple matter of the right weight training improving punch power then a great trainer could easily make dozens of fast and powerful punchers just by his weight training tips.....But i dont see this happening,even with all the 'knowledgable' strength coaches now around the world....
    Do mackie shilstone or justin fortune produce hard fast punchers by the dozen? ER,no......

10. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    My fist is a weight. I train by explosively lifting it to my opponents chin (or a heavy bag but that sounds less e-tough) :D

11. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
  12. Relentless

Relentless VIP Member banned

Mar 5, 2006
    who said weight training increases stamina? but if you want a list of boxers who do weight train i can give you that.

13. Relentless

Mar 5, 2006
    hopkins sed weight training in preperation for winky too and he had to lose weight,

evander holyfield didn't have to, he grew out of the cruiserweight division he would drain himself to make the cruiser limit, he sill weight trains to this day,

mayweather also doesn't have to, he is a natural welterweight but leonard ellerbe has him doing dead lifts squats and bench presses along with a few isolated movements,

kostya tszyu stayed at one division all his career while doing ALOT of weight training.

[YT]lUJb-R_6kEY&eurl[/YT]

14. enquirer

Mar 18, 2006
    Examples of significant boxers improving punch power,speed and stamina through weights please?
    I dont need Your research links,i want real life working examples,not theories.....
    Can your links turn chris byrd into a power puncher using weight training? (in fact chris probably did weight train but still not a great puncher,go figure!!!)
    Relentless,i know many boxers use weights,but did they improve their speed and power when they did?
    Did pbf,spinks,tyson,hearns,jones or hopkins get faster and more powerful after using the weights? No they did not,in fact they just got bigger for the next division but lost speed,definately stamina and maybe power in some cases....

15. Relentless

Mar 5, 2006
    if bench press has zero to do with boxing dont you think its the same with push ups? push ups target the same muscle group, do you think weighted push ups are better?