Campbell v garcia

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by micker1, Aug 20, 2020.

1. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    For those saying he should have got up, he was absolutely done by that shot, if he had made it up the referee would have called it off as he was in no position to continue. Lets be real here, Garcia absolutely destroyed him and bar the knockdown it was a dominant performance. Campbell is a good fighter and Garcia just walked through him, incredible power and blistering hand speed. Needs to move his head a bit and work on his movement but I can see him getting better and better training under Eddie Reynoso. This division is stacked and there are some great fights ahead for him. Was great to see him calling out Tank, the kid isn't scared of anyone.

2. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    I think he might retire, or he tries to go 4th time lucky like Groves. Weight wasn't an issue in this fight imo, although it probably wouldn't hurt him moving up.

3. aaaaa

aaaaa Ash banned Full Member

Dec 19, 2020
    Yep. Same reason Smith lost. Canelo and Garcia are just levels above that’s all there is to it. Nothing to do with weights.

UKboxingfan and Jurgen like this.
  4. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor banned Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Never in doubt

kojak and UKboxingfan like this.
  5. Willis Brown

Willis Brown Member Full Member

Apr 30, 2017
    Luke has been boiling himself down his entire boxing career what is he 5’ 9” ??? He won a gold medal at bantam and he was in his mid twenties then . I mentioned earlier I watched a video of him in early December and whilst it’s hard to judge these type of things he looked huge , my guess 11+ stone . He is 33 now so where does he go 140 has several guys who are much fresher than him and 147 is even worse.

6. kojak

kojak Well-Known Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Off to catch some rest but bewildered reading some of the comments here compared to the general.

Smith basically sold his title only a few weeks ago and showed zero ambition to fighting the best before then, came out with a lot of credit from a poor performance.

Campbell shows ambition in his career and been, lost a razor thin decision against a good Linares. Scored a decent knockdown and was competitive in the fight tonight, yet gets shitted on and people saying he got destroyed all fight, go figure!

nilrem, Holler, dryzer and 1 other person like this.
  7. murphman22

murphman22 Active Member Full Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Couple of random takes from the fight -

Given the pattern of the fight Campbell had no chance of winning that on the cards. Garcia walking forwards and hitting gloves was enough. Not crying foul play but there was literally no chance he could have got the nod.

That’s it’s for Campbell. Might have a spin at 140 but not sure if there is a point. Stuck at 135 for too long and tbh I don’t think he was well promoted. But that’s Hearn’s style - sh*t and then chuck you to the lions. But you’ll earn a few quid.

Garcia - quick hands and explosive. Led footed though and that won’t work well when he moves through the weights as Broner (for example) found out. I actually think he’s got a decent chin. He got caught pretty cold and his legs were under him, Campbell blasted him a few times as well.

Enjoyable fight all in all. Arena was in shock when Garcia got dropped.

8. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    I don’t trust them stats again. Just like the Canelo fight who was also hitting mainly arms yet their cheerleaders come up with very high percentages on punches landed.

Accurate and murphman22 like this.
  9. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    He should polish his Gold Medal Daily, count his pay per pudding loot weekly and retire.

He will probably get a farewell pay per pudding event before he joins Greta A Davies in the DAZN Commentary Team

10. Patter983

Patter983 Active Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Campbell has to be applauded for wanting to take on the toughest challenges and backing himself everytime ! Hats off to him

11. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Canelo was sickeningly accurate at times. Hitting the arm? He was targeting the arm and damaged it badly.

CutThroatFade likes this.
  12. jimmyonebomb

jimmyonebomb Active Member Full Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Nah mate not for me when you get hit with that shot right there's nothing you can do just keels you over, like getting hit in the balls

Twentyman, Wizbit1013 and pow like this.
  13. Here's Johnny

Here's Johnny Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 18, 2015
    Even if you think he aimed for arms, was also hitting plenty of low and was aiming for his hips a lot. They’re not scoring punches that the stats should be recording.

14. Jurgen

Sep 30, 2016
    I applaud those genuine people like Josh Taylor and Tyson Fury who have the will to win against the best rather than simply turning up expecting to lose

Don't forget Bellew bent over for Stevenson as well.

15. BoxingABC1

BoxingABC1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 21, 2016
    It’s strange saying this about a fighter who just beat an Olympic, World & European amateur medalist, who gave Linares a very good fight and didn’t embarrass himself v Lima, but Garcia’s IQ and defensive capabilities are so poor

luckily for him, he’s absolutely brilliant going forward at times and has that real thudding power. Gonna be a fun ride

Gatekeeper and pow like this.