Campbell v garcia

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by micker1, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Cookiedough

Cookiedough Member Full Member

Feb 18, 2020
    It may be down to Luke Campbell being a great boxer though, who has the pedigree to give anyone a tough night, so Luke’s skills negated a lot, but not all, of Garcia’s work. But, with that said, Garcia did find a fight ending punch, and looked, to me, like he was getting on top of Luke. I liked how Garcia handled the knockdown and came through.
    What a great fight it was. Credit to both lads. Boxing fans win again.

haileris likes this.
  2. pow

pow Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 26, 2014
    So you expect him to land every shot of every round? You expect Smith to stand with his hands by his side not protecting his face? The facts are he outpointed Smith in almost every round with scoring shots. It was a boxing masterclass from Canelo a view that is backed up by virtually every pundit, fighter and journalist in the game.

3. EJC83

EJC83 Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 20, 2019
    I don't think we'll see Garcia in with anyone too dangerous for the next 2 to 3 years. Shame.

4. DramaShow

DramaShow Member Full Member

Dec 22, 2020
    Callum Johnson did great, only fought 1 round in 2 years, and did his father proud, against Beterbiev who many feel is unbeatable at 175.

Only 5 British World Champions now, but in 2021 I see Okolie, Eubank, Ryder, Catteral and Sunny Edwards picking up World Titles, and one of Jazza ****ens and Kid Galahad.

5. Dairygivesmegas

Dairygivesmegas New Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2021
    Was there a reason Campbell didnt pounce on Garcia and try and knock him out after the round 2 knockdown? It seems inexcusable to me and Campbell missed a huge opportunity. Am I missing something?

6. pow

Apr 26, 2014
    Campbell was caught flush in round 1 so he was wary of Garcia's power, also at the time he thought he could land that shot again cleanly at multiple times of the fight. There game plan seemed to be that left shot and nothing else and they stuck to it. It was a fair game plan given that they knew the cards were rigged.

velagod and Dairygivesmegas like this.
  7. djfonti

djfonti Active Member Full Member

Jun 25, 2005
    One of the judges didn't even score the second round a 10-8.

im sparticus likes this.
  8. Dairygivesmegas

Dairygivesmegas New Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2021
    That's what I was thinking too. That Campbell felt he would be able to land that same punch consistently later on. And so there was no rush.

However, Garcia looked pretty wobbled to me and most likely not able to really threaten Campbell the rest of the round because his legs werent fully under him yet.. Garcia even looked up at the clock at one point, just wanting to get out of the round.

pow and im sparticus like this.
  9. Accurate

Accurate Jump back, wanna kiss myself! Full Member

May 3, 2018
    What are you going on about mate. I didn't say anything to contrary!.

pow likes this.
  10. pow

Apr 26, 2014
    You can score shots that hit the arm or guard as effective aggression if they are pushing the opponent back. Also the shots that were damaging his arm should be scored as they are doing visible damage.

11. dryzer

dryzer Active Member Full Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Khan wouldnt have survived the 2nd round

12. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper Well-Known Member Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Would be like a bargain bin Hagler-Hearns.

And yeah Garcia will be a force at 135 his power, handspeed and confidence are the real deal but as others have said he's too upright and open, Lopez and Tank take him out right now.

13. Jurgen

Jurgen Pay Per Pudding Advisor Full Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Probably but Campbell should have steamed in when he had the chance

Dairygivesmegas and dryzer like this.
  14. aaaaa

aaaaa Member Full Member

Dec 19, 2020
    Don’t think Tank beating Garcia is a foregone conclusion. Only had one fight at lightweight against a past it Gamboa and he was hurt a few times in that. I know his belt was on the line against Santa Cruz but that was at 130.

15. nurological

nurological Boxing Addict Full Member

May 25, 2012
    What great fights we have to wait years and years for, probably only getting 2. We could have a lesser modern day 4 kings but we won't.

jimmyonebomb likes this.