Can any of today's guys become the best 147 of all time?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by thewoo, Jul 18, 2007.

1. thewoo

thewoo Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 3, 2005
    or at least # 2 behind SRR?

147 is as stacked as it's ever been. Suppose Cotto were to fight and beat DLH, Mosley, Floyd, Williams, Margarito, Cintron, Clotty and Collazo. I know this is a huge if but lets suppose it were to happen or interchange some names with Floyd or williams beating all those other guys.

I am not as knowledgable as some of you other guys in terms of history but I would think that would be an ATG 147 resume no?

2. Caper

Caper How about a fair shake? banned Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    That's one hell of a task even for superman, so yes he would go right behind SRR as a 47lbs maybe even #1

Huge IF..:yep

But it can happen:yep

WAR COTTO:spy

3. thunder06

thunder06 Active Member Full Member

Jun 10, 2006
    i believe if any guy from 147 beat all the other competition, an argument could be made for them to be a top 5 ATG welterweight. right now i believe cotto, mosley, hatton and mayweather have the potential to be an ATG.

4. DaveTheWave

DaveTheWave Man Extraordinaire Full Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Not a chance. We've seen the best. It won't get better.

5. Caper

Apr 4, 2005
    I's liketadid what you said too buddy:p

6. thunder06

thunder06 Active Member Full Member

Jun 10, 2006
    sure

7. Caper

Apr 4, 2005
    Please do tell

SRR yes but after that it seems 147lbs has been so staked it has made it difficult to get all the top fighters in the ring to see who still stands once the dust is clear. I have yet to see a fighter beat each and every top WW in their respective eras. Have you?

8. Lance_Uppercut

Lance_Uppercut ESKIMO Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    That would be hard to ignore.

9. Caper

Apr 4, 2005
    Just busting your thunder sacs a little I had to deal with thousands of crying screaming women running down 42nd today so my compassion levels are a bit dry.

10. Caper

Apr 4, 2005
    :lol: :yep

11. Slothrop

Slothrop Boxing Junkie banned

Nov 25, 2004
    Perhaps the best way to phrase it would be that Cotto could put himself in the conversation.

12. 1lehudson

1lehudson Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Keep in mind that the guy that is number 2 on most lists beat hearns, Duran, Hagler, Benitez dispite missing alot of his prime with the eye injury. Keep in mind that most of that work was done before Ray was 26 years old.

You would even have a hard time making a strong case for number three depending on were you have Armstrong, who I think is p4p number 2 all times, but not as high at welterweight.

13. Martini643

Martini643 Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 31, 2004

The only fighters that you mentioned i think who would have a chance as an ATG not the best of all time but a top 5 welterweight would be Cotto or Mayweather. Mosley is on his way out of the sport in another year or 2 and can't possibly beat all those you mentioned. Cintron,Collazo are good fighters but I don't see an ATG in either of them. Paul Williams I think is a good fighter but I think he will be picked apart by Mayweather or Cotto.

14. 1lehudson

1lehudson Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Oh I think that Shane right now has a better shot then both Floyd and Cotto. Keep in mind he already has some really big wins, and all it would take of him would be beatting Floyd and Cotton and maybe one other Cintron or Williams. that would put him about as high as any of these fighters can get.

And the reason that I think that the limit is capped is because some of there guys will be exposed as not great fighters. You have to beat all-timers to be all-timers. While i think that these guys are all very good fighters none of them are great fighters. Robinson and leonard beat all time greats top 20 fighters.

15. CASH_718

CASH_718 "You ****ed Healy?" Full Member

Apr 10, 2005
    If one person clears out the whole division I'd put them #2 behind SRR for sure.