can anyone explain why Rumble Johnson has not lost to taller opponents??

Discussion in 'MMA Forum' started by Mike W, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Red Samurai

Red Samurai Active Member Full Member

Apr 16, 2007
    I already know that Anthony “Rumble” Johnson has fought at 4 different weight classes and has had more success at heavier weight classes and his two losses at 205 have come to Daniel Cormier. He has won all his HW fights.

I know Rumble is listed at 6 ft 2, but maybe he’s more like 6 ft 1 or just 6 ft, I don’t know. But why is it that he has more success against taller opponents, or is it just luck. That’s one of the reasons I was looking forward to see him fight Jones back about 5 years ago, and I would still want to see him fight Jones.

I thought height and reach was a big advantage in fight sports.

2. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Well..... He's only fought a handful of them. He barely beat Arlovski as well and might not have had it not been for the timekeeping error in the first round. Arlovski and Gustafsson are the only opponents taller than him that I can think of. And let's be honest Rumble is a natural LHW. He was killing himself to make Welterweight quite literally.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  3. royjonesfan

royjonesfan Member banned Full Member

Jan 8, 2020
    I guess being short and stockier means he packs more power than the taller lankier opponent. Also being shorter makes it easier for uppercuts and in fighting i guess

4. Red Samurai

Red Samurai Active Member Full Member

Apr 16, 2007
    Good point. I didn’t see Rumble’s fight against Arlovski, so I don’t know exactly how the fight went. He also fought and beat Mike Pyle who is
    listed at 6 ft 3. He also fought and beat quite a few opponents listed at 6’2 such as Ryan Bader, Phil Davis, Rogerio Nogueira, Glover Teixera.