Can anyone tell me more about Kid Tunero ??

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Vic-JofreBRASIL, May 28, 2012.

1. Vic-JofreBRASIL

Vic-JofreBRASIL having fun Full Member

Aug 19, 2010
    How good was this guy ? ?

How fair I would be if I consider him as one of the most underrated MWs ever ??

This content is protected

Should be in HOF it seems......;)

2. SLAKKA

SLAKKA Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Thanks for this non cliché post
    Years ago I sent to Cincy for all three ringside reportages of his ten round schooling of young but lethal as hell Ezzard Charles.
    All three accounts we equally breathtaken at the skill shown by this outstanding forgotten fighter.

He published a book written only in Spanish which i can’t read.
    Ive had a hellva craving to read it for so damm long!

3. Vic-JofreBRASIL

Vic-JofreBRASIL having fun Full Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Good to know.....do you know what is the title of this book ?

4. thistle1

thistle1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 30, 2006
    he was a Great fighter and is much credited by quite a few boxing historians/researchers, but the same Tunero was stopped in 6, by the greater Jock McAvoy...

who is almost always forgotten & overlooked!!!

Shame so many TOP Brits & Euro fighters are quickly dismissed, and yes many were not quite as good. But by God the TOP of them were No less fighters than the "praised" and in some cases even better!

5. SLAKKA

Jun 4, 2009
    yer not gonna like this thistle but this was a fighter forced to do business in a situation like this.

6. thistle1

Jul 30, 2006
    I've only ever heard that once, and that was from you. Is this claimed in his book?

I don't dislike it, I just like to see forgotten greats get their credit as well!

McAvoy dropped all of his American comp except John Henry Lewis, whom was far the bigger man, and including L-HW cum HW Al kid McAvoy, who was very high regarded too, so why should anyone ever have excepted anything less in the Tunero bout?

especially when having never heard even an utterance or reading anything like this before?

7. SLAKKA

Jun 4, 2009
    dont shoot the messenger
    his book is @ kid tunero book google

8. burt bienstock

burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    What I have read about Kid Tunero's boxing career is telling me he was not in the category of a Ray Robinson, a Charley Burley, based on the amount of losses he had in his prime years from 1933 to 1938, when he was 23-28 years of age...
    For example while he had some great wins over, Ezzard Charles, Ken Overlin,Marcel Thil,
    Tunero lost to these top fighters he faced...
    Marcel Thil
    Gustav Roth
    Carmelo Candel
    Eric Seelig
    Jock McAvoy- kod 1934
    Vilda Jacks [2]
    Gustav Eder
    Bep Van Klaveran
    Holman Williams [2]
    Tunero was in his prime fighting age those days, so it could be he was a very good fighter, but not a world beater in the mould of a charley burley, nor a Bert Lytell IMO...

9. SLAKKA

Jun 4, 2009
    Burt there’s a lot more to a fight than perusing a fighter’s record
    This is what Kid Tunero said in re the McAvoy fight.
    Thanks to Enrique Encinosa* for his detailed translation.

Hi _Tunero claimed that he was handling MCAvoy well but after a cornerman -who he believed was paid off by the promoter- towelled his face he went into a zombie trance and walked out of the corner arms at his side as though out for a stroll. being hit flush.

* Boxing--This is It! by Hank Kaplan, Enrique G. Encinosa (Used, New ...
    www.alibris.com/search/books/qwork/.../Boxing--This is It!
    Alibris has Boxing--This is It! and other books by Hank Kaplan, Enrique G. Encinosa, including new & used copies, rare, out-of-print signed editions, and more.

10. burt bienstock

Jan 22, 2010
    S, as I posted "looking at the record", i gave my opinion...I had great admiration for Hank Kaplan with whom i was in phone conversations many times. So even if the McAvoy incident was true, it doesn't explain his MANY losses in his PRIME years away...A Charley Burley, Eddie Booker, Bert Lytell
    faced the same obstacles in their careers but SELDOM lost fights...OF course it could also mean that many of the European fighters such as Thil,
    Seelig, Bep Van Klaveran, Eder, Vilda Jacks were better than we think...
    I just think that the simplest explanation is that Burley, Booker, Lytell were superior fighters to Tunero over all...

11. thistle1

Jul 30, 2006
    this kind of thing can happen, of course it can, Ali v Liston, Cooper. Doesn't mean it did though!

McAvoy's record and supperiority is seen in his many other opponents, BIGGER ones too.

and yes Burt of course fighters from abroad were better than credited with, the TOP one's that is, the Cream :deal

12. SLAKKA

Jun 4, 2009
    Well what if the ringside write-ups correspond with Kids story??

PS Thistle wasn't it u who had a conspiracy theory in re Hagler vs Finnegan 1??

13. SLAKKA

Jun 4, 2009
    I wish u asked Hank...my friend also....about Tunero.

Wins and losses become less relevant when the fact are explained.

Archie Moore citing Hatchetman Sheppard as a harder puncher that Marciano would be a great example.

14. burt bienstock

Jan 22, 2010
    Incidentally, Hank Kaplan's great boxing collection now resides at the Bklyn College Archives in Brooklyn NY,since Kaplan passed away....

15. thistle1

Jul 30, 2006
    Nope, don't even know of one!