Can Canelo overtake Joe Calzaghe as greatest SMW of all time?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by JSpizz, Apr 7, 2021.

Can Canelo surpass Joe Calzaghe?

1. Yes

27 vote(s)
    23.9%
  2. No

50 vote(s)
    44.2%
  3. Joe isn't the GOAT

36 vote(s)
    31.9%
  1. JSpizz

JSpizz Jay Spizz. Full Member

Jan 8, 2021
    all of his fights @168 would be a title fights aswell, assuming he stays undefeated at that weight.

As long as Canelo doesn't fight a bunch of Yildrims I think the potential is there!

shadow111 likes this.
  2. Loudon

Loudon VIP Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
    I understand what you’re saying.

I respect it.

Staying in a division for a prolonged period is sometimes more of an achievement than moving up to other divisions and just collecting belts. However, in this case, Roy moving up to LHW and cleaning most of it out was more impressive than what remaining at SMW would have been. When Roy moved up, Benn and Eubank were faded. There was only really Collins and Liles there. And according to what I’ve read, Liles wouldn’t fight him.

For the majority of Joe’s reign, the SMW division was quite weak. Of course, that wasn’t Joe’s fault. But until Lacy and Kessler came on the scene, the majority of Roy’s wins were more impressive. Again, this has nothing to do with the SMW division. But fighting better fighters at a higher weight and beating them more emphatically, was more impressive than what Joe was doing, Therefore, in my opinion, Roy proved that he was the better fighter, which is relevant when you’re rating guys on H2H basis, in terms of ability.

I have no objection to anyone proclaiming that Joe is the GOAT at SMW. But for me, Roy is the GOAT on a H2H basis, as a prime version of Roy was the best guy we ever saw at the weight, even if was only for a very brief period of time.

3. Maidanas Gun Tattoo

Maidanas Gun Tattoo Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2017
    I wouldn’t disagree with Roy being the better overall fighter at all. Just wish they could have fought a lot younger. Naturally I’d favor Roy but I wouldn’t say it’s an automatic win.

Loudon likes this.
  4. The Akbar One

The Akbar One Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Also whooped a weight drained Dawson. Resume wise Ward has better wins then Calzaghe does at both weights.

5. maac

maac Member Full Member

Apr 6, 2007
    I hate Ward.
    I idolize Calzaghe.
    But my brain doesnt lie, this is true
    (And in a H2H fight I would bet for Ward,
    hoping to lose )

The Akbar One likes this.
  6. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! banned Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Y'all must've forgot!

JSpizz and Brixton Bomber like this.
  7. Aussie Invader

Aussie Invader Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Jan 5, 2017
    stop snacking on the local mushrooms.

8. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    He could..but won't take over Ward.

9. NEETzschean

NEETzschean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 23, 2021
    Assuming the judging is fair, Canelo wouldn't beat Calzaghe, Ward or RJJ, all of which became elite light heavies. Canelo already lost at least once by a wide margin to an over the hill, lighter GGG at middleweight and PBF schooled him while weighing 13 lbs less. Trout and Lara were razor thin. The ghost of Kovalev gave him a lot of problems; imagine what a prime Kovalev would have done to him. If he goes up and beats Bivol or Beterbiev soon then he's in the conversation.

BCS8 and Maidanas Gun Tattoo like this.
  10. bandeedo

bandeedo VIP Member Full Member

Feb 19, 2007
    if he goes and hides in mexico for the next 7 years, and fights nothing but 15th ranked guys......maybe.

MarkusFlorez99 likes this.
  11. Olu G. Rotimi

Olu G. Rotimi The Right Honourable Lord President of the Council Full Member

May 29, 2007
    Calzaghe is a great fighter but not the greatest super middleweight in history. RJJ, James Toney and Andre Ward rank higher than him at Super Middleweight . No doubt in Germany the Germans will rate Sven Ottke higher but we can treat that notion with the contempt it deserves. Nevertheless Super Joe Calzaghe was a great fighter who deserves credit. As for Canelo I don’t really want to rank him until his career is over but I will say he has a fine resume and is in the process of putting an outstanding one together at the weight.

12. northpaw

northpaw Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Roy didn't compete there long enough to be considered. Had he competed there longer, I absolutely would consider him. But the fact remains, he used it as a pit stop.

To the original question: No Canelo can't overtake Calzaghe or Ward at one or two (whatever order you wanna list them). Nor could he overtake James Toney at SMW, who himself has a very strong case.

13. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    And he looked unbeatable there.

Just because Roy didn't starve himself on a yogurt-a-day like Joe did forever, he looked the best SMW ever.

northpaw likes this.
  14. northpaw

northpaw Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 5, 2010
    I don't disagree, he looked like he would've been the greatest ever at the weight. He looked perfect. I was actually watching his fight vs. Eric Harding over the weekend (obviously at LHW) where he was talking about going back down to SMW if the right fight materialized. Shame he didn't.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  15. cmctcook

cmctcook New Member Full Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Lol