Can Hatton-Witter bring boxing back to the forfront of sports entertainment in the UK

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by brown bomber, Feb 10, 2008.

1. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    First watch this.....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DaRyP5k3kEs&feature=related

then this...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mJS-HttWeio

and this

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BjtA6pGYp9Y&feature=related

Witter-Hatton is the biggest possible match that can be made in the UK, the build up and execution has the potential to capture the imagination of every sports writer in the country.

They detest each other- its clear to see but both are supremely talented and for the first time in many years we have got the top 2 fighters in the division.

This fight needs to be made before its too late. I like Ricky he is a cracking fighter and a genuinely nice lad (despite what you haterz may think) however the excuses must stop... This match simply must be made.

If Witter or Hatton lose before the match is made the damage to their legacies would be irepairable. British boxing was given a rare treat last year when Hatton fought Mayweather and for a few weeks I thought I was back in the nineties... Boxing on ITV news... interviews, opinions... it was awesome.

The difference here is that there WILL be a BRITISH winner... No more excuses... I don'tr want to see Hatton or Witter against anyone else.

Lets get it on..

:toney

2. Polymath

Polymath Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Agreed. By far the biggest British fight that can be made. Hatton won't take it; he knows its all over for him if he loses.

3. stuey

stuey Never bet on England Full Member

Aug 13, 2004
    i would love it, your bang on, the whole counrty could possibly go boxing mad, you have to pick a winner, everyone has a favourite, it would be magic and would sell out twice over...

but.....i cant see it happening, for some reason, hattons camp just dont like the fight.....

4. ron u.k.

ron u.k. Boxing Addict banned

Feb 14, 2006
    i couldn't agree more jeff.i've defended hatton on these boards in the past,but feel he has to make this fight or he will simply continue to lose credibility.never mind the "i don't want to give him his biggest payday" bull****,to retain that credibility he needs to fight witter who by all the criteria is his biggest threat for the 140 crown.even though it wouldn't have the global appeal of the mayweather fight it would still be a huge attraction,especially in europe but there would still be plenty of interest stateside.both fighters would make huge purses.the big fear is that they will eventually meet some time down the road when both are in definite decline having lost fights and the fight would have much reduced significance.
    come on ricky get this on.:bbb

5. elle

elle Journeywoman Full Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Love the way you've put this thread together with all the clips Jeff - especially the ringside confrontations between Hatton & Witter.

Of course they should fight - no doubt about it.

Also, seeing Thaxton making an appearance there after his fight with Hatton I can't not mention that I'd love to see him in with Khan as well.

There is nothing like a good domestic affair - we shouldn't be deprived of them!

6. Benjiabc

Benjiabc The Nottingham Hitman Full Member

Oct 2, 2006
    i would love this fight to happen. for soem reason hatton doesnt like this fight. i think he would win so i cant see why

7. Polymath

Polymath Boxing Junkie Full Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Hatton's ego has been fed too much, he really thinks he's more on Mayweathers level than Witters, look at the bbc's boxing homepage, http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/sport_relief/7232441.stm - he's in total denial and thinks he was cheated out of victory by the referee. Of course somebody who genuinely thinks he's at A+ world level wouldn't want to fight a domestic rival.

8. Diablo

Diablo Active Member Full Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Iv lost alot of interest in this fight now...both are past their best. Haye vs Enzo is much bigger to me.

9. ApatheticLeader

ApatheticLeader is bringing ***y back. Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Why is it that big? It would be no bigger than Hatton vs. any other decent opponent.

10. scurlaruntings

scurlaruntings ESB 2002 Club Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Good stuff. Iv been beating this drum on ESB for the best part of nearly 5 years. Now everyones finally realised Britains biggest clash since Eubank Benn MUST happen.Witters certainly earned it.

11. Dunky McCafferty

Dunky McCafferty Boxing Junkie banned

Aug 24, 2004
    Listen. I remember being excited about this matchup when I was 29years old, Im 35 now.
    There is no way this fght will happen. Ricky Hatton has sold his fans out on this one.
    & its so bloody sad, cos this fight would be the ultimate.IMO it would even eclipse Benn & Eubank. but Ricky dont want. So we dont get. If I were a Hatton fan, I could never forgive him.
    there is no getting away from it, Hatton is **** scared of Witter. Always has been, always will be.

12. ApatheticLeader

ApatheticLeader is bringing ***y back. Full Member

Jul 20, 2004
    :lol:

13. Dunky McCafferty

Dunky McCafferty Boxing Junkie banned

Aug 24, 2004
    Are you kidding? Its a grudge match. & boxing fans the world over love nothing more than a grudge match. It would be massive. Local bragging rights at stake make the fans dicks hard more than some random matchup could ever do.

14. ferd cloupes

ferd cloupes Member Full Member

Dec 24, 2006
    people knew who benn and eubank were. no-one apart from people who would spend a sunday reading boxing posts have the faintest idea who witter is. i'd love to see hatton witter but a bigger fight than eubank benn? get the **** out of it

15. mike464

mike464 Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2005
    Yes it can. It would be massive. Hatton doesn't want it though so that's that. The best thing Witter can do if he want to fight Hatton is lose a couple of fights!