Can I start boxing at the age of 33?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by RockyRock, Oct 11, 2012.

1. RockyRock

RockyRock New Member Full Member

Oct 10, 2012
    I agree with your answer one punch can make you champion but speed and stamina for hitting is also a big need for a fighter in any martial game (may be karate, Taekwondo, Kung fu, Boxing, Judo, Wrestling, Jeet kwondo, Guttka, MMA, wushu etc or any others). I am asking for speed for punches which i have to practice which become will provide a lot of confidence at the time of fight. Plz do not consider it as silly question, Because the man who had ever done fight championships very well know the importance of speed... and Hope you know too

2. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Everyone knows the importance of speed, I'm not disputing that. You asked how many punches you need to throw per minute to win. That's a silly question.

3. RockyRock

Oct 10, 2012
    Friend, I think my question misunderstood, I am asking about speed of punches per minute in 30 minutes a boxer at least have to practice, Right now i can punch 130-140 times boxing kit in a minute. I want to know am i slow or its OK speed??

4. StillWill

StillWill Dr. Eisenfaust Full Member

Jul 12, 2010
    the only type of world championship you could conceivably fight for is a masters tournament years down the line

5. pecho26

pecho26 ESB Lurker Full Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I saw some seriously stupid **** about weight training on this forum that everything is possible.
    Some people here who claim they are boxing trainers think that weights are uselles.I mean,how dense can they be?:huh:huh

6. hernanday

hernanday Guest

Let me rephrase this, if you are a guy with normal to below normal physique, and you want to increase your weight quickly so you can fight in a higher weight class, weights can have a use. If you are a person satisfied or trying to lose weight and already have a semi athletic physicque, weights are stupid for several reasons.
    1. Weights slow you down
    2. Most of the greats do not do weight training.
    3. Weights will not make you hit harder, stronger, nor knock a guy out more
    4. Weights will give you a false sense of strength and put strain and pressure on your heartand cardio system
    5. Boxing is a game of endurance, speed and skill. I'd rather be lean for the obvious reason it is easier to have better endurance with small muscle mass. You watch the decathalon and see all the big muscular guys who obviously lifting getting lapped by the smaller guys with smaller physicques. This is no different than boxing. Put a big strong guy with decent endurance vs a small guy who can run all night and the small guy will give you death by 1000 cuts.:bbb
    6. By round 5 your arms with lots of mass are going to get real heavy.
    7. You will be fighting an opponent who will now punch faster, move faster, hit harder, have better endurance and every conceiviable advantage because you decided to lift. At best if you carefully pick your opponents, you will be able to bang them up for a while, but if they can take punishment or hit back you lose.
    8. Cassius Clay, rocky marcian, ezzard charles, jack dempsey,sam langford or Foreman or Frazier would kick any of the bums ass arroudn today.

7. DrBanzai

DrBanzai Active Member Full Member

May 11, 2012
    Far too old unless it's just for a fun hobby. Better to put your energy into making money.

8. RockyRock

Oct 10, 2012
    @hernanday
    Thanks for your good answer. From your answer it seems like for boxing i have to reduce my muscle mass.
    I have my pic in my public profile which is not showing here. please check and let me know how much i have to reduce. Because i seriously want to do this game.( I done martial games like Taekwondo, karate, judo, wushu etc. but from last five years doing body building excercises)..

9. dealt_with

dealt_with Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Apr 27, 2012
    You have no clue about human physiology.
    Lift heavy and you target your type 11 fibres, then when you perform explosive sports specific training you are faster than you would have been otherwise. Type 1 fibres built for endurance aren't helpful, it's unnecessary bulk that isn't helping your power.
    You lift heavy and it actually improves your motor skills as less CNS resources are used to perform the motion, thereby indirectly improving your stamina and skills.
    Most of the greats were great because they were very skilled boxers, generally they were average athletes with little idea about what their training was doing.
    Weights performed properly will make you stronger, hit harder and make you more explosive with better stamina.
    Why would a boxer be building mass on his arms? A boxer should lift weights to build strength around his legs and core.
    Boxing isn't an endurance sport, how can a 36 minute fight with 1 minute breaks every 3 minutes be called an endurance sport? You don't have a lot of time to perform, you need to make that time count by being explosive and busy.
    How do weights put a strain on your cardio system? Weights help the economy of your movements, there are plenty of studies showing that the best endurance runners have stiffer tendons in their legs so there is less of a metabolic cost when they're running. That's why time and time again it's been shown that heavy weight and plyometric training helps improve performance in 5, 10 and 20 km runners.

From your post it sounds like you're absolutely clueless, I've educated you a little bit and now you should go find out some things for yourself. Asking questions guarantees that you keep learning. Making a conclusive statement like 'weights slow you down' just makes you look like an idiot because there is nothing to support your statement.
    Studies have shown that training slow and heavy for six weeks then performing speed training increases speed more than doing speed training the whole time.
    That's why periodisation is important and that's why something that seemingly isn't sports specific can still be very useful.
    Nothing can compensate for practicing your sport, gaining skills and experience in what you're trying to be good at. You won't get good at boxing if you just lift weights, obviously. Well maybe not obvious for you, you're acting like it's one or the other.
    Weights can undoubtedly be a valuable supplement to boxing training. Probably not for you because you don't know anything about them and for some reason you think they're the devil. That's a possible advantage you've lost just by being closed minded. I feel sorry for you and for anybody who is foolish enough to believe your nonsense.

10. dealt_with

Apr 27, 2012
    You need to lose 4.789 pounds of muscle to become a good boxer.
    No seriously, have you suffered any head injuries as a child?

11. RockyRock

Oct 10, 2012
    @dealt_with
    No Head Injury ever. Why you asked this?

12. dealt_with

Apr 27, 2012
    There's a good book by Barb Arrowsmith, I advise you to read it.

13. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Completely uneducated post. I can't even begin to explain how dumb each of these points are.

Luckily dealt_with has already cleaned up this accident.

14. pecho26

pecho26 ESB Lurker Full Member

Nov 19, 2010
    the last three post i cant even comprehend the ammount of stupid **** that is written so ill just say,educate yourself.:lol:

15. StillWill

StillWill Dr. Eisenfaust Full Member

Jul 12, 2010
    weightlifting is less important in boxing than in other sports but yeah i agree it doesnt hurt so long as u dont do too much. explosive motions like powerclings etc are best

i think plyometrics are more important tbh