Can Marciano beat 240lb fighters?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by reznick, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I agree but to say Marciano could do it just because Norris did is pure guesswork.

2. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Not really pure guesswork, why guesswork?

Could anyone predict in 1950 that in the future there would be a guy like Norris the same size as Rocky changing his body shape for each assignment? It would sound as fantastical as flying cars.

Wouldn't you say it is less far fetched to look Back from now (when already knowing about guys like Norris) and imagine Rocky doing it?

3. lufcrazy

lufcrazy requiescat in pace Full Member

Sep 15, 2009
    He proved he can defeat a former fringe contender whilst being outweighed by 30 pounds, but if he was to face Anthony Joshua would I recommend he come in at 190? Of course I wouldn't.

You'll find very few examples through history of a fighter moving to a higher division without upping their weight.

4. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    This.

5. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    Norris, Tua and Toney all show that a man of Rocky's dimensions can carry extra weight. The amount he'd need or want is pure guess work.

I imagine he'd be about 205 but it's just as likely he'd drop to 175 and fight at LHW.

6. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    I am beginning to believe there are two churches on this matter. There is the church that says Rocky is the one specimen in the history of man kind who's body would not benefit or respond to anything that came after his career like advances in protein, sports science and steroids. Then there is the church that says, you know what, Rocky might just be like everybody else, his body won't reject anything that Benefits the modern sportsmen.

7. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    by the same token if you are stuck with the Rocky that did exist he cannot change his body. If you have the Joshua who exists he is the physically enhanced ATG untested specimen we see now. They are both in different time zones and cannot meet or exist together.

To exist together they can only be in either of each other's time zone. In Joshua's Timezone Rocky can bulk up all the functional weight he wants. In Rockys time zone Joshua is a thinner man altogether.

For all we know in the 1950s Joshua could be a hapless string bean getting bounced around and beaten up by Bob Satterfeild.

8. Wass1985

Wass1985 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2012

Yes and you still believe he would be competitive against the likes of Joshua and co giving up 40+ pounds with his style and dimensions?

9. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    I don't believe he'd camp at HW full stop.

I think he'd be a CW and might move up for 1 or 2 big fights against the right opponent.

Saying Joshua and Co isn't good enough. You need to consider each separate fight on its own merits.

10. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    No it's entirely fair to match Rocky up against anyone, it just depends who it's against as to what he would weigh.

I can't see him being the one and only man in the HW division today weighing below 200 pounds. That just doesn't make sense.[/QUOTE]

11. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    I agree. Rocky in Joshua's time zone, with access to the full scientific advancements in sports since the spinks experiment, would never weigh less than 210.

12. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    That's because Marciano deliberately tried to get as lean and hard as possible. The idea was to become as strong as possible while having the greatest stamina possible. His entire fighting style was based on grinding people down and out.

Bloat him up with muscle and he's got to change his fighting style. Extremely muscular guys can have a problem with gassing out. He never had this problem. So, now he's going to throw less punches because he can't go balls to the wall anymore. Which means that he won't be able to pressure as well as he did. Which means that he'd have to refine or alter his style in order to land better and more accurately.

By this time we're talking about a different fighter.

13. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    That's what happens when anyone moves up in weight.

Mayweather changing from a SFW to a LMW went through a change in style as well.

14. lufcrazy

Sep 15, 2009
    But he could also cut down to 175 and be a beastly LHW who then becomes a beastly CW and makes an occasional jump to HW when the opponent is right.

15. choklab

Dec 31, 2009
    No, I don't think so. He might adjust into spurt fighting in shorter more explosive bursts and that would not detract from his game much at all. In fact it would fit right in with the modern pace of HW boxing. I'm sure some expert will find just the right program for him to maximise all of his assets just like they do for everyone else who was engineered into being physically bigger than Mother Nature intended. Even with Holyfeilds work rate Marciano would be a wrecking ball in modern times.