Can someone explain this fascination with “daring to be great”?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Maidanas Gun Tattoo, May 15, 2022.

1. 3rdegree

3rdegree Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Aug 23, 2014
    "Dare to be great" was an advertising slogan created by Glen Turner in the 70s whose intent was to appeal to the hopes, dreams, and greed in all of us. His unauthorized story is currently for sale on Amazon for $195.00. Dare to be great, indeed.

[url]https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.7739aa26b5da3c99829f9dcd4f86268e?rik=AbMcaDekR%2bsZCA&riu=http%3a%2f%2fecx.images-amazon.com%2fimages%2fI%2f51KDRODKaPL._SY344_BO1%2c204%2c203%2c200_.jpg&ehk=kktLVxiAUNmSHVAw6QrNV3F5yZcwlx%2fguUUKGLjK8Ek%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0[/url]

exocet76 likes this.
  2. Babality

Babality KTFO!!!!!!! Full Member

Dec 6, 2008
    It’s exactly what it means? Taking chances.

Ward fighting Kovalev, Canelo fighting GGG, Canelo fighting Bivol.

GGG could have fought Ward but said no thanks. It’s as simple as that. What’s so hard to understand?

3. Maidanas Gun Tattoo

Maidanas Gun Tattoo Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2017
    When Leo Santa Cruz moved up to 130 to fight Tank, was anyone saying he was daring to be great? When Erik Morales moved up to lightweight to face Zaheer Rahim I don’t recall people saying he was daring to be great. I can go with more examples if you like. Why is it such a big deal now that Canelo lost?

gollumsluvslave likes this.
  4. navigator

navigator "Billy Graham? He's my man." banned Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Someone likely did, and not completely without justification (though 'great' was probably overstating it).

Raheem wasn't considered a champion or one of the major factors at the weight and Morales was only moving up because 130 was killing him.

Granted, the phrase has become a cliché. But boxing is an old sport full of clichés.

5. acie2g

acie2g Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 21, 2010

When you the money man you get close rounds big deal wanna know how to change that fight good comp and become a draw yourself but these guys rather let somebody else do the work then piggy back off they name.

6. navigator

navigator "Billy Graham? He's my man." banned Full Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Lenny Ellerbe, as it turns out. :lol:

[url]https://www.boxingnews24.com/2020/10/leonard-ellerbe-analyzes-gervonta-davis-vs-leo-santa-cruz/[/url]

7. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018

Shadow ,take note

kiwi_boxer and exocet76 like this.
  8. UndergroundBoxing

UndergroundBoxing Member Full Member

Feb 2, 2022
    Daring to be great was just a standard thing for the top fighters back in the day. They all challenged themselves against the best and dared to be great. Today it stands out more when somebody does it so we hear that expression more

9. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Can someone explain the fascination so many have with fighters who are not daring to be great?

That's what I'm talking about

3rdegree likes this.
  10. sdot_thadon

sdot_thadon Active Member Full Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Think it has to do with modern fighters being far more risk averse than the old days. So when guys actually do "throwback" type deals, they get praise for doing so in a scary, financially responsible era of the fight game.

11. exocet76

exocet76 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Exactly it's marketing speak that doesn't really mean anything. It does on it's base level but like with political spin it's kind of pointless because it's stating the obvious. I mean what pro boxer isn't tryng to be great? It's no different to a politician using a sound bite.
    They are easy to remember on there own but within the context of a speech they're meaningless. It's like crap like "Let's build back better" that's great but your not going to build back worse so it's completely asinine.
    It's what rubbed me up the wrong way with Joshua as it seems Hearn bought him a book with inspiration sound bites that he could quote in interviews. the problem is nobody speaks like that in real life so it comes across as fake.
    So "Dare to be great" is stating something that should already be apparant with a profesional athelete.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
  12. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 13, 2012
    I don't think a lot of boxing fans understand how hard it is to win a world title, let alone win a world title in more than one weight class.

13. exocet76

exocet76 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 28, 2012
    I agree mate. It should be noted that the people who make that claim are not great by definition.
    If I look at people who are great like Usyk they don't need to say that because there actions speak for themselves. this applies a great deal as well to the old timers. Great imdividuals don't need to say anything and rarely do. Only people who are insecure and need to shape that narrative will then try and "sell" it. There's a few exceptions like Ali or Fury but that's because their personality is just as big as them as boxers. For everyone else it's like the kid at school who talks about getting loads of fanny when in reality he's a virgin.

Col Mortimer and Serge like this.
  14. cuchulain

cuchulain VIP Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I think it's been around a good deal longer than that.

Boxed Ears and lufcrazy like this.
  15. cuchulain

cuchulain VIP Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    That's a HELL of a thing to say, BE...

Diabolical and DEVILISH !

Boxed Ears likes this.