Can someone explain to me why Joyce is rated so highly so soon?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Vegan Beast, Oct 19, 2021.

1. NEETzschean

NEETzschean Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 23, 2021
    Undefeated power puncher Dubois was obviously a far more dangerous opponent than washed up non-puncher Takam, hence Joyce was 3/1 against Dubois and 1/5 against Takam. Jennings was also a significantly closer fight on paper and in practice and far closer to his prime than Takam. Joyce's performances in the amateurs and semi-pro world series also count for something and his size, Olympic gold skills, chin and engine make him a big threat. Your inability to accurately rate fighters is the problem here. Joyce also has no embarrassing performances, let alone embarrassing losses.

timeout likes this.
  2. Salty Dog

Salty Dog My name is Buck and I'm here to... Full Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wishful thinking. Many want this to be a "Golden Era" so as to enhance their narrative and gain that precious social cred. What we currently have, imo, is a set of well matched giants generally displaying a mediocre(relative to who they want to be compared to) set of boxing skills with one or maybe 2 exceptions.

gollumsluvslave likes this.
  3. Nonito Smoak

Nonito Smoak Ioka>Lomo, sorry my dudes Full Member

Sep 8, 2010
    A lot of people ranked Dubois very highly.

Even without, they were the two high profile British HW prospects and while the standards are so low for a HW contender, they were sort of among that tier or the one below it. The winner deserved some shine, in my opinion.

gollumsluvslave and Wizbit1013 like this.
  4. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Takam's got a win over Tony Thompson, who made himself Price's daddy two times, and a very disputed draw with Mike Perez. He was also handily beating Chisora's ass till the stoppage. So what exactly are you talking about here?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    Wizbit1013 and DarkHorse901 like this.
  5. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Most boxing fans are career simpletons who still think in video game metrics. Speed, power, stamina, chin. When an anomaly like Joyce comes around they can't process him at all. It's hilarious.

6. Reg

Reg Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Joyce has a good amateur pedigree with a style that translates better to the pro game where his Stamina and workrate can shine. Especially in the HW division where 12 round fighters aren't as common.

DarkHorse901 likes this.
  7. red corner

red corner Active Member banned Full Member

Oct 9, 2021
    What you say he points, but like you said he's slow and I'm going to add old. Down in points to Dubious until he quit. He might be 37 for his next fight.

8. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Down in points only on Warren's dodgy cards

Joyce was miles ahead

9. Serge

Serge Ginger Dracula Staff Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Slow/fast not slow

Yeah he's old 36 y/o but he didn't take up the sport until he was 22 so it's not like he started as a young boy and his body is ravaged with the wear and tear of hundreds of amateur fights.

10. red corner

red corner Active Member banned Full Member

Oct 9, 2021
    He's slow now and was never fast or a gifted boxer. He probably deserve his ranking because these days there are few worth their rank. 100's of amateur fights??? No-no box rec has his amateur record at 55-11 with 2 Ko losses. He's been feasting on the old and sometimes fat as a pro. Like I said the top ten lacks fighters who deserve the rank, he's one of them but might be 37 ( old ) the next time he's in the ring. He has little time to waist. He's lucky Dubois quit because he was well ahead of him. That fight shows his talent level andrew think Dubios is talented.

11. Boxing2019

Boxing2019 If you want peace, prepare war. Full Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Joyce is the classic example of fighter who watching him on TV would say that he is poor and slow while instead he has heavy hands, exceptional stamina and chin and an excellent IQ ring.

MarkusFlorez99 likes this.
  12. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Let me answer a question with another question: Did Prince (The Artist) have a very low voice or a very high voice...?