Can stronger muscles lead to better punching power?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by iloverachel, Jun 29, 2020.

1. iloverachel

iloverachel Member banned Full Member

Jun 12, 2020
    While its certainly true that large muscles can slow a boxer down and can make punches weaker due to less speed/acceleration, theres also lots of boxers who have huge muscles, and also punch extremely hard, e.g. Tyson, Foreman, Joshua

I guess too much bulk would not be good, but functional strength and power while remaining lean could aid a lot in punching harder.

Technique is obviously more important, but which muscle groups do you think when developed, can lead to stronger punches?

I was thinking, shoulders (can lead to more pop and shoulder snap when punching), and legs (power is generated from the legs), and also a strong torso for a quick rotation.

Toney F*** U likes this.
  2. VVMM

VVMM Well-Known Member Full Member

Nov 16, 2012
  3. titanic

titanic Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 7, 2016
    You just answered all your questions :p

4. miniq

miniq Tyson Fury Undisputed HW Champion 18/5/24 banned Full Member

Oct 23, 2011
    only ever so slightly

it wouldnt be noticeable

5. pistal47

pistal47 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Dude, what the ****ing ****? So many muscles go into punches and with different punches you get drastically different involvement. To list them would be an absolute mother****er. Boys have penises and girls have vaginas.

Badbot likes this.
  6. fistsof steel

fistsof steel Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 13, 2010
    The Great Fighters over the Years were born with that gift...It's Genetic thing Just like Great Chin's.!!!

7. reckless

reckless Active Member Full Member

Mar 18, 2018
    Of course they can. There's a reason why heavyweights hit harder than middle weights.

Toney F*** U likes this.
  8. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Hell yeah!!! When I started full body weight training I noticed a huge difference in my punching power

Reinhardt and iloverachel like this.
  9. mirkofilipovic

mirkofilipovic ESB Management Full Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Besides Golovkin

BCS8 and Somali Sanil like this.
  10. wutang

wutang Active Member Full Member

Mar 10, 2012
    I think it depends on the fighter. From my own experience putting on muscle made me slower and punch with less momentum, then again, maybe I had more power but less snap, I certainly didnt feel as explosive. I guess it depends how you generate power.

DrederickTatum likes this.
  11. Southpawology

Southpawology Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Technique trumps all for punching power

muscles mean little, look at Timothy Bradley, then look at Nasim Hamed

12. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    My muscles and strength have declined getting older, my punching power massively too... I guess that speaks for itself.

BCS8 likes this.
  13. UniversalPart

UniversalPart Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Jul 1, 2010
    If you want to develop punching power, train like a male gymnast. Those guys have insane flexibility and strength in their upperbodies, especially the shoulders/traps/forearms areas.

14. On The Money

On The Money Dangerous Journeyman Full Member

Apr 4, 2012
    I would suspect Hafnor Bjornsson would wreck a punch machine with or without any technique. Rip it from its hinges anyway, lol.

15. Geo1122

Geo1122 Active Member Full Member

Jul 7, 2017
    Measuring punching power is really no different to measuring power. You’re literally talking physics.

Force/Weight/Speed and all that jazz. Stick them into an equation.

the best way to talk about muscle in this regard is to compare it to a car. By adding muscle you’re adding bhp, giving it more power. However, as a result you’ve also given it more weight, which has now reduced the acceleration. In boxing you’d call this ‘pop’.

This doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re weaker one way or the other, because it all depends on what you’re trying to hit. Or in science terms, where you’re trying to transfer that energy that you’ve generated.

Wilder’s seen as the biggest puncher today. However, because of his lack of weight/muscle I’d wager that he’s not even in the top 10 for generating power punches to the body.