Can there be any comparisons drawn between Honeyghan v Curry and Khan v Bud?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mark ant, Apr 20, 2019.

1. mark ant

mark ant Canelo was never athletic Full Member

May 4, 2017
    Are the odds for this one the same as the odds on Lloyd pulling off the upset back in `86? Bud is 10-1 on, odds that I agree with, but do Khan fans think there is any similarities here? Bud for me is far better than Curry was in `86 but what about Khan compared to Honeyghan? Would Khan have beaten Curry in `86 like Lloyd did?

2. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Which one is Curry and which one is Lloyd? Khan is the the older one.. And remember this, both Curry and Honeyghan were undefeated weren't they? I seem to recall that, and Khan has 4 losses. Surprisingly. I saw that the ages are just one year apart. I give Khan a chance. If he makes it simple. Sometimes against fast guys another fast guy has to fight simple. jab jab and counter right. occasional left..

3. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    He`s going to have be smarter than that, you can`t fight basic against guys like Bud an Canelo their IQ`s are on another level.

4. Ken Ashcroft

Ken Ashcroft Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 23, 2008
    In hindsight, Curry’s career, in relation to the expectations that boxing fans and insiders had for him turned out to be one of great disappointment but back in 1986, at the time of the Honeyghan fight he was considered far better and held in far higher regard than Crawford is currently. I think he was the consensus choice at the time for the second best P4P fighter in the world behind only Marvelous Marvin Hagler. In fact he was considered to be the man that would move up in weight and eventually be the fighter that would dethrone the dominant Hagler in the next big superfight. Crawford is a very good fighter and may eventually have a better career than Curry did but at the moment, he hasn’t even yet proved he’s the best welterweight in the world.

Flash24 and Reinhardt like this.
  5. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    A lot of experts rate Crawford among the top 2 P4P fighters in boxing today.

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  6. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    richdanahuff likes this.
  7. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    So how does the p4p top 10 from when Currys was on it in the 80s compare to the current list that Terry Crawford is on now?

8. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
  9. mark ant

May 4, 2017
  10. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016

Good analysis, spot on.

Ken Ashcroft likes this.
  11. PhillyPhan69

Dec 20, 2006
    Don’t know? I think John Thomas might have another mag? But not sure if they did p4p ratings then either.

I am in the minority I am sure in classic but I think bud is better than Curry. I also think the top 6-7 guys today would be top notch in any era.

mark ant likes this.
  12. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Where would Terry Crawford have ranked in 86?

13. Ken Ashcroft

Ken Ashcroft Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Yes. The Ring ( and Boxing Illustrated) had gone downhill IMO, by the mid 80s, having gone through several changes in management and content format. My impression was that the market leaders in boxing mags by then were KO magazine and World Boxing which I found to be far more entertaining and fan favourite. I believe those magazines had their own P4P lists in their ratings pages years before the Ring decided to do the same which IIRC they called the dynamic dozen. Unfortunately I lost/gave away my collection of old boxing mags some years ago which I now regret.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  14. mark ant

May 4, 2017
    No.1, specifically after Curry was beaten by Honeyghan, Hagler was a faded force by `86, Tyson was improving with every fight, Chavez may have met Crawford by `86 and the winner of that classic would become No.1 P4P I`d say.

15. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    KO Magazine did a year end p4p poll from 1980 until it folded, and Curry was at number 2 (at the very least) following his decimation of McCrory to unify the title. In that regard, there's a parallel. The main difference is that Crawford seems more focused than Curry was going into the Honeyghan fight and that Khan's issues in terms of punch resistance have been established more clearly. Plus, I think Honeyghan was more confident going into that bout than Khan is right now.

But...we'll see how it plays out tonight.

Longhhorn71 and PhillyPhan69 like this.