Can Warren's BT compete with Hearn's Sky sports

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by jmashyaka, Jan 12, 2017.

1. jmashyaka

jmashyaka Boxing Addict Full Member

May 7, 2016
    I think this deal levels the playing field abit and although Warren's card lack the stars he tends to put on more competitive match ups, one only has to remember the conlan vs nelson fight.

He is gunna struggle to fill all those slots I'm hearing it's 30+ cards per year on top of his boxnation cards. So far his signed Warrington and Nurse, 19 yo HW Daniel Dubois who looks to be his version of AJ and maybe a signing like Commey who is now a free agent. Lee Selby may also be available as Eddie has thrown him on the back burner.

2. Champagne Popping

Champagne Popping The TRUTH is the TRUTH banned Full Member

Dec 15, 2016
    • Terry Flanagan, Billy Joe Saunders, Liam Smith, Liam Williams, Liam Walsh, Josh Warrington, Hughie Fury, Jamie Cox, Ahmet Patterson, Zelfa Barrett, Sam Mcness, Ryan Garner, Joe Pigford, etc
    I think he has a pretty good stable, theres certainly a few future stars there

3. Champagne Popping

Champagne Popping The TRUTH is the TRUTH banned Full Member

Dec 15, 2016
    There's a lot of unsigned to top promoters he could possibly sign as well like Andrew Selby, Robbie Davies Jr, Mark Heffron, Sam Bowen, Nathan Gorman, Sam Maxwell etc

4. jmashyaka

May 7, 2016
    Selbys with Sanigar but I've only heard of Davies jr and Gorman. Are these guys straight out of the amateurs.

If I was Warren I would make Yarde the main star, he looks like an absolute unit, power in both hands, speed and actually good boxing skills.

5. thornpipe

thornpipe Active Member Full Member

May 11, 2016
    As long as the shows don't clash it will compete.

6. jmashyaka

May 7, 2016
    He needs so more stars though get his stable stronger, a lot of Irish & British amateur standouts available after the olympics.

7. bladesman

bladesman Active Member Full Member

May 31, 2015
    I think BT getting into the boxing game means there is a chance of competition. Sky will still be ahead simply because it takes years and years to build up a customer base like theirs though.

ITV on the other hand could blast both out of the water depending how seriously they take it.

8. jmashyaka

May 7, 2016
    They've got more sports fan than SKY so I do think they have the fan base, just maybe Warren hasn't got an AJ or Eubank to draw them to his cards just yet. If Warren executes this right like maybe signing a Haye or getting Fury back in the ring he could seriously revitalise Queensbury promotions.

9. GuyIncognito76

GuyIncognito76 New Member Full Member

Sep 30, 2009
    BT Sports already has a customer base not far off Sky Sports. Whilst Sky may have 10m TV subscribers to BT's 2m, most do not have access to Sky Sports whilst all BT subscribers have access to BT Sports.
    As BT Sports is also available on Sky and Virgin their subscription numbers are above 5m.

[source]
    http://informitv.com/2016/05/05/bt-tv-growth/

10. bladesman

bladesman Active Member Full Member

May 31, 2015
    doesn't the football rate alot lower on bt than sky suggesting people may have it but not watch it? Sky Sports News is a kinda default background channel for many sports fans and Sky use that well for hyping boxing up. BT has nothing like that.

11. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Robbie Davies is with Poxon and is boxing on ITV so Frank would have to offer him much better money.

Where is the announcement of the new shows on BT? How long is the commitment from BT? These questions need answers.

12. GuyIncognito76

GuyIncognito76 New Member Full Member

Sep 30, 2009
    The main reason BT has lower viewing figures for football is that Sky has the bigger games. You're right about the power of promotion that Sky Sports News has though.
    I read that BT's idea is to have a block of Saturday Sport of AVIVA rugby>Premier League football>boxing>UFC so the boxing will at least have promotion on the day of the fight.

13. billo_billy

billo_billy Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 24, 2015
    If frank can get tyson on BT, then that will help alot

14. goku23

goku23 Member Full Member

May 28, 2014
    FW should be going all out to sign the Selby brothers.
    Selbys, Yarde, BJS would be brilliant to lead the way for BT/Boxnation.

If he can somehow sign Buatsi he will really have lit the torch paper.

15. joegray

joegray Active Member Full Member

Jul 18, 2013
    MGM has signed a lot of boxers recently under Management deals.
    Could they be gathering fighters for the BT shows?