Canelo Alvarez is probably P4P #1 heading into 2020

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by TEAM_LOMA, Jun 19, 2019.

1. TEAM_LOMA

TEAM_LOMA This is Boxing Full Member

Mar 13, 2019
    Not the most popular opinion out there. I'm certainly not a huge Canelo fan. But in terms of resume, Canelo's is EASILY above the rest and it's not even close, considering what he's been able to accomplish under the age of 30. And we haven't even seen prime Canelo yet...
    Definitely his P4P ranking would come with an asterisk due to his steriod use unfortunately but can't deny that he's a super talent

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  2. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Manny Pacquiao — The Thurmanator banned Full Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Canelo would have been P4P #1 already if he had actually beaten GGG twice. Or even once.

Shisha, Silver, iii and 6 others like this.
  3. Heavy_Hitter

Heavy_Hitter Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 7, 2018
    And if he did not test positive for clen twice.

4. Reppin501

Reppin501 The People's Champ Full Member

Apr 26, 2010
    In terms of resume, quality of opponent, performance, and overall skill set he's #1 in my book.

5. Quina74

Quina74 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Resume/Quality of opponent? Erm no - fighting past it fighters and losing to past it fighters ...the only real legit wins are Jacobs and Trout and in these cases Jacobs came to run and you CAN argue Trout beat him

Shisha, Mod-Mania, C.J. and 2 others like this.
  6. The Ogdoad

The Ogdoad Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Canelo beating Jacobs probably puts him past Loma, and Crawford, who just haven't been fighting top level opponents lately. I'd probably have Inoue 1, and Canelo 2.

7. Quina74

Quina74 Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Are you serious? lmao

8. IsaL

IsaL VIP Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Lets see bro, name me active fighters with better resumes. There won't be many. Even some of the lower weight fighters have past prime fighters and their resumes are still considered good.

ndthentherewasx likes this.
  9. Dance84

Dance84 Unicorn and seastar land Full Member

Oct 11, 2017
    Hate to say it ..........but I agree.....

ndthentherewasx and TEAM_LOMA like this.
  10. ellerbe

ellerbe It’s a Tank world Full Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Agreed with everything but we haven't seen prime Canelo. Canelo right now is at his peak.

11. ellerbe

ellerbe It’s a Tank world Full Member

Jul 25, 2014
    That's the only real argument for not including Canelo in a p4p list. He clearly lost the 1st, but the way he improved in the second and took that win was impressive, even if you had GGG winning, you can't call it a robbery, imo if anyone deserved that win it was Canelo though I won't be mad if you had GGG winning.

@IsaL what do you think? Should Canelo testing positive prohibit him from being on a p4p list for at least a couple years till we know he hasn't benefited from training on peds.

12. The Ogdoad

The Ogdoad Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Canelo's resume far surpasses both Loma's, and Crawford's, and Inoue is just wrecking ranked guys left and right.

Ph33rknot likes this.
  13. IsaL

IsaL VIP Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2006
    I personally don't pay too much attention to P4P lists, its all completely subjective.

With that said I'm not sure what the science behind waiting two years is? I know if I stop working out for a few months I lose a lot of what I gained.

Some things I consider regarding the failed tests:

Canelo took a hair follicle test that can trace blatant PED use for up to a year back, even longer, and he passed. SO no signs of ANY foul play based on the test results.

Cenbuterol is a drug used for stamina. Yet Canelo popped dirty three months before the fight. The amount of clen in his system was very low and suggests that IF he did intentionally took clen for its benefits, he had taken it prior to starting training camp. Not sure why he would need stamina before training.

Canelo passed all his tests prior and after the week he failed those two tests.

Mexico is known for having a clenbuterol problem in the meat industry, and other fighters such as Francisco Vargas and Erik Morales have also popped dirty unfortunately.

Finally many fighters including Vitali Klitschko, Roy jones Jr., Tyson Fury, BJ Saunders Alexander Povetkin have all for the most part been forgiven for popping dirty and several of them have been regarded as P4P fighters and ATGs. People should be consistent.

14. Maidanas Gun Tattoo

Maidanas Gun Tattoo Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2017
    What is the big deal with “what he accomplished before 30”? Most fighters do that.

iii likes this.
  15. Maidanas Gun Tattoo

Maidanas Gun Tattoo Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 29, 2017
    Crawford has a terrible resume for someone of his caliber. I think he has great tools but when you see who he has fought, and his age, and where he is from, pretty laughable.

George Crowcroft and Badbot like this.