Canelo Alvarez Power?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by MU_01, Dec 27, 2012.

1. MU_01

MU_01 New Member Full Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Where does Canelo Alvarez get his tremendous punching power from? When I watch him fight, I can see that he is very flat footed and really rotates every inch of his body when delivering punches, but whenever I do it - I do not get the same result. Is it genetics, technique, physique? If it is a physical factor, then what training does he do or can anyone do to develop huge punching power?

2. Speechless

Speechless Well-Known Member Full Member

Mar 7, 2012
  3. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
  4. gumbo2176

gumbo2176 Active Member Full Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Some folks are just born with "heavy" hands and the ability to punch hard. Genetics plays a part, proper punching technique and training play a bigger part in my opinion. There's a lot of variables. Punching power generates at the floor up through the body.

Here's an example of 2 boxers on opposite ends of the spectrum. Take Paulie Mallignaggi with his feather fists and then Roberto Duran with his "Hands of Stone".

Both train/trained hard for their fights, one just possessed much superior power over the other.

5. Slacker

Slacker Big & Slow Full Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Punching power is 100% technique. There it's nothing mysterious about it.

They more of your weight you can twist into the punch, and the faster the punch moves, the more power it generates.

It's simple physics.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eplLem4jPs&sns=em[/ame]

6. dempsey1234

dempsey1234 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Punching power is natural, you either have it or youdon't simple as that. Paul Malignaggi can never develop into a Duran like puncher no matter what he does, or who he listens to. You can increase your natural power but not to the extent that Malignaggi becomes a tyson or Duran type puncher, it's just not happening.

7. scrap

scrap Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Its where the Ears are in relation to your arsehole :yep.

8. dempsey1234

Jun 25, 2012

Thought that was beneath you, guess I was wrong, the clocking is still ticking, just one tick tick tick

9. scrap

Jul 15, 2006
    Whats that mean, Im giving Clues for why it happens.

10. dempsey1234

Jun 25, 2012

The thread says 'Canelo Alvarez power', the theory you stated on another thread about the oral cavity, you are maybe describing what happens but it doesn't add anyting to make a Malingnoggi into a Canelo type puncher and that is what this thread is about. "what training does he do or can anyone do to develop huge punching power?", the correct answer is you can't, not "Its where the Ears are in relation to your arsehole''.

11. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    Just because you haven't seen it done yet does not make it impossible.

12. dempsey1234

Jun 25, 2012
    You are right I haven't seen it done, and as the saying goes anything is possible. Imagine boxing where everybody is a deadly puncher, and keeping their styles, boxer Malingnoggi with a ko wallop in his right hand would be a very dangerous fighter indeed.

13. scrap

Jul 15, 2006
    Thats one of the most important aspects of Punching with Power, and it can be Taught. Theres an old time saying, the Guys arseholes gone, which means, ???.

14. viru§™

Aug 28, 2007
    I wouldn't waste your time, the guy has a presupposition from his old school days. He's a boxing manager so he should know :roll:

15. dempsey1234

Jun 25, 2012
    All you have to do is provide one name, just one, thats all that shouldn't be so hard. "Boxing manager, old school, boxing coaches," we are not as enlightened as you are, I will leave that saying and the arsehole alone.
    Look just one name and I will never post again just one name. Prove us old school boxing coaches and managers wrong and prove yourselves right, just one name, ONE. Tick, tick.