Canelo Alvarez v Jack Sharkey

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Seamus, Jan 14, 2022.

Alvarez v Sharkey

1. Sharkey by Dec

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  2. Sharkey by KO (hahahahahaha)

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Canelo by KO

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  4. Canelo by Dec

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    I'm not the one who is silly here...

2. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    It's the answer to my question. Sharkey stopped Loughran with a rather telegraphed long right hand because Tommy moved straight back with no head movement. Meanwhile this is Canelo:

This content is protected

Yeah, Loughran was unquestionably the more skilled boxer :rolleyes:

White Bomber likes this.
  3. White Bomber

White Bomber Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 31, 2021
    Yes you are. Ask 100 people who understand this sport and most (if not all) will tell you that the guys you mentioned are nowhere near as skilled as Canelo.

4. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    "People who understand this sport" like you? :D

5. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    Why Loughran wasn't stopped more often then?

Should I focus on times when Canelo looked bad as well? Or can we have a legitimate discussion?

I mean, seriously? You show one of three stoppage losses of fighter who took part in 170 fights and compare that to Canelo's highlight reel? Is this supposed to be a joke?

BitPlayerVesti likes this.
  6. BCS8

Aug 21, 2012
    Feel free to post Loughran's highlight reels where he looked as good as Canelo.

You stated Loughran was a better boxer like it's unquestionable.

I'm saying that it's questionable.

White Bomber likes this.
  7. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Loughran is a defensive genius and one or the greatest light-heavyweights of all time. He was stopped a grand total of three times in 150+ fights. The first of which was a rib injury when was he 17. The other two were complete anomalies in his career, and one of them was a complete anomaly in Sharkey's career.

Loughran was well known as a defensive master and his positioning is on show.

8. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Canelo's defence is overrated. He has to turn it on so to speak, for it to be effective. It makes for incredible high light reels because he's very good at it, but in overall fights, it's often overrated. He's a little like Tyson in that regard. Watch him vs Kovalev, GGG or even Plant. He gets hit way more than his highlight reel suggests.

BitPlayerVesti, 70sFan865 and McGrain like this.
  9. BCS8

Aug 21, 2012
    Let's just say that Loughran shows good foot movement against Sharkey; his hit and hold game is ok. But the rest is not on a par with Canelo. Canelo is to my mind the better and faster boxer. The footage shows this. That's some Locche level slipping and movement.

If you feel stats are that important then Loughran lost one out of every five fights he fought. Canelo has a single official loss and has never been knocked out. In fact I can't remember that he ever touched canvas.

10. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    Highlights don't matter in boxing. What matters is how effective your defense is, not how cute it looks.

Judging fighters by highlights is the worst thing you can do. Watch full Loughran fights to understand why I have such an opinion about him. His footwork, his jab, his timing were all on incredible level

dinovelvet likes this.
  11. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    This is precisely why I say Canelo's defence is overrated.

It's nowhere near Locche's level.

70sFan865 likes this.
  12. BCS8

Aug 21, 2012
    Canelo's record suggests that it's highly effective.
    Nowhere do I suggest Loughran is a bad boxer. I do however point out his shortcoming and how it led to him losing against Sharkey. I also point out how Canelo does not have that shortcoming and that this is relevant in the discussion.

13. BCS8

Aug 21, 2012
    Looks quite similar to what Locche did - against mostly much worse boxers than D. Jacobs in needs to be added.

14. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    So you think it'd be impossible for Sharkey to catch Canelo cleanly? Cause Loughran got hit and that's all. Loughran was much more mobile than Canelo, yet Sharkey timed him. He was also much taller and rangier than Canelo.

Come on, Sharkey beat better fighters than Canelo.

dinovelvet likes this.
  15. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    I agree, but I think there's a bit more going on though. Billy Joe talked about being able to get away with certain punches against Canelo that Canelo then punished him for later in the fight. So I agree that Canelo gets hit more than his highlights reel, that's definitely true and well-observed, but I also think he's allowing opponents to land certain blows in certain ways or at least trying to allow them to think they can with it sometimes going wrong.

I think he does definitely switch it on and off though.